LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

Well More towards Worchester MA up in Stering MA. But You need to contact Mike and set up an appointment at ESP to use the dyno...

A while back I think Mike said he could use other dyno's too, but that was a few years back. I think one was closer to NY.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

WTF!!!

Dear god..... is this my heater core? Anyone ever see a problem like this? I was wondering why the coolant would never fill up.

3 years of sitting in the sun and winter maybe rotted the hoses or something. this is a big kick in the balls... I have to remove the dash i'm assuming?

20191123_141125.thumb.jpg.e3b541517a18dd4e8c0b865229fad623.jpg

20191123_141117.thumb.jpg.a1f5638f700b4a869de935194f85a709.jpg

20191123_141108.thumb.jpg.36b3ec13ea979a93d1d5a7013f80aa2c.jpg

i guess its time to replace the dashboard and the cubby.... mine look like garbage, so if i'm going through all the trouble, might as well!

Is there a part number for the dashboard? I can't seem to find the parts diagram with the part number. Trying to get pricing on new vs used.

Not sure, doubtful, but i will check with my parts guy now that you ask... i was planning to find a junk yard... who knows... tbh i don't really care about aesthetics, as long as the chassis is straight, suspensions right, radios loud and has enough power.... i'm content, oh and my heated seats and ac! Gotta have heated seats and ac! So if the price is right I will get one. I think i'm willing to spend 150-200, 300 or more and i'll pass.

part of me wants to just bypass the heater core but knowing my lazy ass i'll end up rolling with it for god knows how long. And while I have the entire interior out might as well use that to my advantage. God knows how many screws i will forget to put back after i get a case of the f**k its....:lol:

Well More towards Worchester MA up in Stering MA. But You need to contact Mike and set up an appointment at ESP to use the dyno...

A while back I think Mike said he could use other dyno's too, but that was a few years back. I think one was closer to NY.

I don't think thats the case currently. He knows i'm from NY, and said I would would have to drive to Sterling MA for a dyno tune. Which I don't think I want to do. 175 vs 45 miles.... I don't really want to drive 3-4 hours on a base tune, or for any reason tbh. Especially if I can go to a place that's just as reputable( I think they built/tuned subacabra) which is 45-60 mins away for the same price, $600. I have AAA plus, 3 or 5 tows a year up 100 miles free, which is a big factor, if i break down at the shop or on the road.

Edited by Tehnation

Probably a little chilly in NY for a bypassed heater core, huh? Maybe add a chimney and small burner to the mod list lol

My thoughts exactly, it gets way to cold around here. Not having heat isn't an option.... I mainly just wanted to start the car to see if the rebuilt motor is up to par.

Looks like the heater core is bolted to the main hvac unit which is going to be a pita. I'm going to order one of rock auto for like 50 bucks, oem one is like 140+. Why go aftermarket? Because I wouldn't be in this mess if the oem one wasn't a piece of shit... so at this point any piece of shit will do!

I don't think thats the case currently. He knows i'm from NY, and said I would would have to drive to Sterling MA for a dyno tune. Which I don't think I want to do. 175 vs 45 miles.... I don't really want to drive 3-4 hours on a base tune, or for any reason tbh. Especially if I can go to a place that's just as reputable( I think they built/tuned subacabra) which is 45-60 mins away for the same price, $600. I have AAA plus, 3 or 5 tows a year up 100 miles free, which is a big factor, if i break down at the shop or on the road.

EFI is a good place, they have tuned lots of good cars. I would suggest after the tune and few miles, give Mike a Log and see if he feels he can improve it.

Others who have had Mike adjust there tune have had great results on Mikes tune. The power application is very progressive on Mikes tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...

winter caught me.....

so i still have to fix this heater core problem.... but my friend told me to stop being a bitch and start the damn thing. So i'm just gonna bypass the heater core for now and get it started as soon as its warm out.

• 4 weeks later...
meh.... trying to start the car, and it seems theres an electrical problem. What are symptoms of not enough grounds on the motor? Starter solenoid clicks, but motor wont turn over. I have p1152, p1518 cels, as well as p0852 and 01153 pending. Any ideas?

I had a bad ground once but the starter still turned it over. It barely idled though. I'm guessing you've got something wrong with the wiring, fuse, or relay for the starter. I'd start by checking for voltage at the starter motor.

• 1 month later...
leaking head gasket on drivers side... had to pull motor ...again, and then tare down motor... again... now its sitting in the back of my truck waiting to go back to the machine shop on monday.... not sure what happened what happened........ #tableflip (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ Edited by Tehnation

• 1 month later...

ITS ALIVE!!!! IT LIVES!!!

Alright got it back, installed the motor! Fired right up! Seems like it needs to learn, it'll run fine, then just die, like when you reset the ecu. Haven't really moved it, only rolled it back and drove it forward onto some ramps, so can't really say anything yet.

Moving it onto some ramps to install front sway bar was the hardest thing ive ever done, the car just wants to launch and the clutch is so light, I thought I was going to go through my garage door. Its going to take some getting used to. But one thing I will say the cheap manzo cat back exhaust I got for like 350 bucks on amazon actually sounds pretty good, not nearly as loud as I thought it would be, definitely good bang for the buck.

Either way i'm happy so far with the way it turned out!

Edited by Tehnation

oh yea, turns out the head was cracked, machine shop got me another head, rebuilt it and reinstalled it for 300 bucks.... neither of us know how it happened but whatever, that's how this game works!