LegacyGT.com

All 3 at once. Are they related or coincidence?

Hello All...Just bought my 1st car, 01 Legacy GT Limited 2.5 (no turbo) with 218K on it. My dad gave it a once over and proclaimed it worth the $..

Issue, went to Napa, got pads and rotors as the pedal was a little soft, so when changing the winters to summers was going to replace the brakes. When I left the steering was very difficult to turn...the fluid was a little low but not under the min level..topped it up, it previously drove like it was on rails, no vibrations, wandering, clunks or noises, no fluid leaks...then i noticed the "brake" and "battery" dash lights were on...i pulled over to check everything (all tight and no corrosion)...I checked the forum, most solutions stated the alternator need replacing, but my alternator is a rebuilt from Dealer (14 months old) and the battery was replaced in Nov 18 by CAA. I don't have a multi meter yet...are these problems related or just bad luck timing?

go to the parts store like advanced auto and they can test your battery and alternator for free. They will tell you which one is bad. Sounds like a crappy remanned or the job. The dealership doesn't have to use OEM parts, they could have been out of stock and gotten you one from the parts store.

go to the parts store like advanced auto and they can test your battery and alternator for free. They will tell you which one is bad. Sounds like a crappy remanned or the job. The dealership doesn't have to use OEM parts, they could have been out of stock and gotten you one from the parts store.

Sadly I'm in Toronto, Canada and don't have Advanced and i'm not sure if the car is safe to drive with the steering becoming so stiff...time to buy a multimeter..thx 4 responding

Found the issue...there seems to be a belt tensioner near the top of the belt....one of the bolts had started to snap and was allowing the belt to slip when the car was running....when stopped it was proper tight, 1/4 movement....very strange...but just got to replace the bolt...yay...huge savings...thanks

Follow up...upon fixing the snapped bolt I came upon another issue. The bolt on the right hand side looking from the rad was incorrect. The length was fine but the circumference was not the right diameter. So when the car was put under load (accelerating) you could see a small movement of the alt and belt. It must have been that repeated movement that caused the fatigue in the tensioner bolt. This repair was supposedly done by a Subaru Dealership. I cannot fathom that they would put in the wrong part unless they didn't have it in stock and thought it would work....just something to look for if these issues should ever occur to you.