LegacyGT.com

Mystery Manifold Malfunction....say that 5 times fast.

So I threw a few fault codes in my 05 LGT that led me to a little device located on the intake manifold. I'm having hell trying to figure out what this thing is called and how to order it. The car throws a generic intake manifold runner control valve error message, but it appears to be something that deals with the variable timing on the intake manifold. There's one on the left side and one on the right side of the motor. Does anybody know what this thing's actually called, and do you have a part number for it, and you know where I can order one of these posthaste. Thank you Brothers.a42f89c828f143dc4a0d1271c9a9481c.jpg

Sent from my Z851M using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. It's a stepper motor of some sort that very quickly opens and shuts something within the manifold to allow the timing to be adjusted by the computer.

there's one on each side. The one on the driver side is pretty easy to get to and is visible as you can see in this picture from the front of the car. The one on the passenger side is not so easy to see or get too. It's right in front of the turbo bolted to the manifold. that's probably why it went out. All that heat from the turbo probably cause it to fail prematurely.

HELP!!!!! Ha ha.

Thankfully the car still runs without it being operational. However, you can definitely tell a difference. There's no power there. You got to really lay into the gas to get it to go, rough idle, etc. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to purchase.

That is the tumbler generator valve. Operation is only under cold start conditions for cold start emissions.

If it’s shut closed, your running a lean/rich condition on one bank causing issues. If it’s stuck open, which doesn’t seem to be likely, it’ll throw a fault code.

Delete it or fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey fabsx, thanks for the info. Ever since this part was removed, it's made an impact on the performance of the car. It doesn't have the acceleration or get-up-and-go that it used to have. Are you sure that tgv part doesn't have more of a role than just cold start conditions? Like I said there's definitely been a change of performance since it's been disconnected.

just to be clear, this device mounts to the back side of the intake manifold on the passenger side. It's it's right from the turbo. If that is a tumbler, would it be in back in the performance of the car? The codes and it throws has a 2006 in 2016 simultaneously0cf998edd6d1d657354e8bf4fb0c2161.jpg

I’m not sure as the how the computer reacts to them being unplugged but there are tgvs on both heads. If they don’t operate together I’d imagine you’d get some super funky uneven power. Also if the tgv is closed while it was unplugged all it does is act as a throttle on those cylinders restricting airflow. It needs to either be repaired or deleted properly.

Sorry, I don’t know how I got it in my head that it was unplugged.

Edited by blackobxt

What you’re referring to is the tgv sensor. The tgv motor is on the front of the the tgv assembly on the passenger side. And it’s opposite on drivers side (Lhd), motor to rear and sensor on the front. Are you saying the sensor has been fully removed or was the sensor damaged. I damaged mine removing the banjo bolt filter. It can be replaced with a tps sensor part # tps4117. The codes you’re getting refer to bank 1 which is passenger side. It can be replaced without removing the manifold and tgv, though it will tear up your hands and you may lose a screw or two so track down extras before you start. Stuff a rag below it to catch falling screws otherwise they will disappear into the abyss. Iirc you’ll need a shallow 7mm flex socket.

521e705bbdddcca32471af9a1c747bba.jpg

As you can see from the pic, if the valve is closed only so much air can pass.

What you’re referring to is the tgv sensor. The tgv motor is on the front of the the tgv assembly on the passenger side. And it’s opposite on drivers side (Lhd), motor to rear and sensor on the front. Are you saying the sensor has been fully removed or was the sensor damaged. I damaged mine removing the banjo bolt filter. It can be replaced with a tps sensor part # tps4117. The codes you’re getting refer to bank 1 which is passenger side. It can be replaced without removing the manifold and tgv, though it will tear up your hands and you may lose a screw or two so track down extras before you start. Stuff a rag below it to catch falling screws otherwise they will disappear into the abyss. Iirc you’ll need a shallow 7mm flex socket.

I had a dog and his name was BINGO!!!!! That's the answer I was seeking. Thank you very much, Dave. So presumed that what I needed was the tgv, and I ordered it this afternoon. The vendors just call it something different online depending on where you shop. PartsGeek calls it a throttle positioning sensor.

I opted to replace it, but others have said you can delete it?!? How does the throttle plate move if someone deleted this sensor?

I forgot to address your question, Dave. Dave, the sensor is completely removed from the vehicle right now. I pulled it off and took it apart to see if I could repair it, but no luck. So I presume that the throttle plate is in the closed position right now. As it is depicted in your photo that you provided. Eye condition is causing the codes to be posted and as effective the performance for sure.

The tgv sensor (part) just happens to also be a tps sensor for many models of I believe Toyota and possibly others. A tps is normally found at the throttle body. It serves the same purpose in a sense. At the tgv as its reporting the angle of the plates and it does the same in a throttle body application.

To delete the tgvs means to remove and gut them like I did. A lot of careful messy grinding, tapping, jb weld, etc. Or remove and replace with commercially available tgv deletes. There are videos on YouTube that show how to delete if that’s something you want to tackle.

537649cd59353e19b6554b912dd420fe.jpg

Basically you clean them out and seal the shaft holes.