LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy XT, buy again?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to test drive on Monday, normal Legacy limited and then an Outback XT so I'll have to put them together somehow to get a Legacy GT (XT). Should be interesting.

Other contender is a 2016 Golf R but payments would only be $50 difference a month vs a brand new GT which sounds insane.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Drove both of them and was pleasantly surprised, definitely enough power in the turbo for my purposes. But $50k Canadian ($35k USD) out the door seems a tad steep at this time, was including winter tire combo and loan insurance but still $$$. [emoji51]

Going to sell the GT to have more of a downpayment.

Although the test drives weren't that long I thought most reviews were nitpicking a bit over this CVT combo, felt pretty good to me, maybe a tad sluggish off the line in full auto mode but once I used manual mode it got out of its way quite a bit quicker.

Absolutely loved the seats and improved interior. Harman Kardon system was way better than the "normal" one in the Outdoor/ Onyx edition.

Edited by caddygti16v

• 3 weeks later...

Sold the 2005 GT, just couldn't get used to the seats, made my lower back hurt after 2h. Going to order a blue 2020 limited GT (XT) as soon as things start moving again. Just makes the most sense as an all weather highway cruiser.[emoji3]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pulled the trigger on a limited GT (Canada, eh[emoji6]), nothing available from the factory so we are doing a dealer trade. 2021's were still at least 6 months away so that was the next best thing.

Color is not 100% confirmed but it'll probably be a gray one, really wanted abyss blue but no turbos in that color anywhere.

First new car ever, still can't believe it haha.

Pulled the trigger on a limited GT (Canada, eh[emoji6]), nothing available from the factory so we are doing a dealer trade. 2021's were still at least 6 months away so that was the next best thing.

According todays press release, Subaru says the 2021 will start arriving at dealers in October. I am not sure about CA. Usually the 1st models are 2.5i's also.

According todays press release, Subaru says the 2021 will start arriving at dealers in October. I am not sure about CA. Usually the 1st models are 2.5i's also.
Yeah and my dealer is a relatively small one, they only had 2 Legacy's all year and those didn't sell very well. It's all Forester, Outback and Crosstrek, but I like a more "rare" car.

I think the first 2020 he had was December last year and that was before the whole pandemic.

The 2020 Legacy Limited XT that I ordered in January finally got to me a week ago. The original delivery estimate when the order was processed in January was for May, that was before Covid fully hit and the factory shut down. To get a 2021 that I’d want would probably take until January at this point. My dealership has only had one XT before mine, back in December. I traded an ‘06 Legacy Limited GT and I’m very happy. It’s very different but I’m really enjoying it.

Glad to hear as I had an 05 limited GT as well, it was a really hard decision between the Legacy and a Golf R but all the creature comforts on the Legacy vs basically just heated seats sold me.

Looking forward to breaking it in and see what it actually can do, little sleeper status.

Dealer just informed me he is finalizing on a Magnetite grey one, Yay.

Mine will be a year old soon. So far, I would say yes, I would buy again. However, I hope this lasts a long time and I won’t have to worry about it. What really helped was the recent software update. It improved a lot of things as discussed in the other thread.

Got my Legacy Touring XT in Dec 2019 and would absolutely buy it again. Really like it! Agree with the others, the 504 software update certainly helps. Eager to see Android Auto in portrait mode, who knows if/when, but a guy can hope...

• 3 weeks later...
I have owned and driven a number of Subarus. My favorite would be my 07 Legacy GT. 315hp of fun and it was such a sleeper. I would do a turbo'd Legacy again. I wish they kept the GT moniker but those are just small details. I debadge my cars anyway. With the little amount I need for utility, I'll leave that to the wife. I'll take the go fast car and tinker with it along the way. :)

I drove an Outback Onyx XT, Outback Premium, Forester, and Crosstrek 2.5 last week. With the family, I'm looking a hatch and maybe getting more room than I have in my 08 spec.B. The 2.5 felt scary slow in the Outback and marginally acceptable in the Forester and Crosstrek. The XT had acceptable power, but it felt like the CVT was fighting me the whole time. I found the 2.5 more responsive in stop and go where the 2.4T would have a delay every time. Then, once going, the revs would jump all over the place and never be where I needed them to be when accelerating, cruising, or slowing down.

For you owners, does it get better over time? Does the trans need time to learn your driving habits? The XT I drove had just 4 miles, so it was brand new. These were the first CVTs I've driven outside of a Nissan rental a decade ago.

Then, once going, the revs would jump all over the place and never be where I needed them to be when accelerating, cruising, or slowing down.

For you owners, does it get better over time? Does the trans need time to learn your driving habits? The XT I drove had just 4 miles, so it was brand new. These were the first CVTs I've driven outside of a Nissan rental a decade ago.

It is definitely a very different experience. But what you described - revs jumping all over - is exactly what I perceive as well. Over time you learn to anticipate what the engine is going to do and learn how to compensate. I came from an ‘06 Legacy GT manual transmission so I’m really having to learn. But even from a standard automatic transmission this is a major change.

The behavior of the car doesn’t change but your driving habits will as your experience grows. The paddle shifters can also help get the revs where you need them when slowing down as well as accelerating although I don’t often use them. One thing that will never change is trying to floor it from a stop, that just does not work with this set up. So anticipate this when making turns on red or proceeding after a stop sign. Don’t try to dart out past oncoming traffic, that will just get you hit or at least get horns blowing at you.

It is definitely a very different experience. But what you described - revs jumping all over - is exactly what I perceive as well. Over time you learn to anticipate what the engine is going to do and learn how to compensate. I came from an ‘06 Legacy GT manual transmission so I’m really having to learn. But even from a standard automatic transmission this is a major change.

The behavior of the car doesn’t change but your driving habits will as your experience grows. The paddle shifters can also help get the revs where you need them when slowing down as well as accelerating although I don’t often use them. One thing that will never change is trying to floor it from a stop, that just does not work with this set up. So anticipate this when making turns on red or proceeding after a stop sign. Don’t try to dart out past oncoming traffic, that will just get you hit or at least get horns blowing at you.

You know, the taking off from a dead stop was real sluggish on mine to and then the fuel pump went out like the recall of the 2019's. After the fuel pump replacement the car has a great hole shot from a dead stop. What also changed was the car trying to push my foot off the peddle and not let me go. Now when I push the peddle it takes off like crazy.

My car does now have over 9K but after the fuel pump change the car wants to go. I just made a long trip and was on the freeway cruising 80+ and there is a car going slow in front of me I floor it and by the time I go around the car I was over 100. WOW

A lot of these post I read about the way the car is running I do be leave it is the fuel pump not getting the gas to the motor and on these cars it will cut back so you cannot hurt the motor. Just my look at it and what has happen to my car.

Love the car more now after fuel pump change.