LegacyGT.com

How To: Disable Parking Lights

It came to my attention that I really hated the look of the amber parking lights at night combined with my low beams. I thought about using the switchback leds from Diode Dynamics but didn't like how the white led's had a blue hue. After searching around I found an old thread indicating the wiring layout of the turn signal/parking light of the headlights. Huge thanks to SlightlyEvil and his old thread here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/parking-light-wiring-question-94308.html?t=94308 All you'll have to do is simply cut the parking light power wire. There are 3 wires coming from the connector. 1 black (ground), and 2 solids w/ stripes. One of the 2 solid w/ stripe wires has a small dab of silver paint on it, this is the turn signal wire. Cut the wire that has NO dab of silver paint, that is the parking light wire. You'll have to do this on both headlights. Then just protect the cut/exposed wires with some electrical tape. Test the turn signals out to make sure you cut the right wires. Enjoy and admire your parking light free headlights at night!

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/lyledellota/2012-09-11185638.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds1uRIus5aI]Legacy GT Disabled Parking Lights - YouTube[/ame]

• 1 month later...
Damn I thought I updated this. Guess it didn't save. Splice the orange wire back together. To achieve this mod without any complications, you will have to actually cut the parking light wire going to each turn signal bulb. There are 3 wires coming from the connector. 1 black (ground), and 2 solids w/ stripes. One of the 2 solid w/ stripe wires has a small dab of silver paint on it, this is the turn signal wire. Cut the wire that has NO dab of silver paint, that is the parking light wire. You'll have to do this on both headlights. Sorry for any confusion guys. Technically the tail light lights with headlights activated are considered "parking lights" which stupid me didn't think of. Cutting the orange wire disables all parking lights. This other method is proven to be 100% bug free by me after I had also noticed my tail lights and license plate lights not lighting up.

Haight 05LGT, if you cut the wire too close to the connector, remove the connector and remove the old/short wire by releasing the the pin through the back. This will allow you to just strip and reconnect the longer section of the wire back into the connector. Hope this made sense. There are quite a few youtube videos on how to release the pin from the connector.

Haight 05LGT, if you cut the wire too close to the connector, remove the connector and remove the old/short wire by releasing the the pin through the back. This will allow you to just strip and reconnect the longer section of the wire back into the connector. Hope this made sense. There are quite a few youtube videos on how to release the pin from the connector.

Oh no worries there. I was able to fix it shortly after I did it.

Okay cool. Ya sorry about that mix-up. The new edited version of the mod works 100% lol. If anyone needs, I can snap a pic of the wiring setup if my explanation is a bit confusing. Post 5 by SlightlyEvil in the thread I linked has a clearer explanation. I may also post up a new vid with my TRS retroquik system now in place.

Archived