LegacyGT.com

What MY STI Solid Steering Linkage for 2005 LGT?

ashwinearl

I'd like to replace my steering linkage with the STI Solid link. Is there a specific Model Year of the STI has direct fitment for 2005 LGT Wagon with the stock 2005 LGT steering rack? I see some 2004-2007s, 2008's and 2010 on ebay

I saw in one post that the 2009 STI solid link was the same part number as a 2005: Part# 34170AG022

Thanks

Edited by ashwinearl

trying to answer my own question. From some more searching I have found these, but if anyone can confirm it would be helpful

From Underdog's thread on dropping 2015 STI Rack in

2015 STI U joint 34170VA030

That thread shows a side by side picture of the 2015 STI U joint and the LGT U joint and they look identical in length

-34170FE050

Part # for 2004 from this thread at NASIOC

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was chasing two things, one was vague steering and the other was front end vibration. My front end was very slow speed when turning and going over rough surfaces. Such as turning left over a drive way lip, or turning into a parking space that had rough pavement.

I do feel that my steering rack has always been an issue and has slight leak. This has not been addressed yet.

For steering, I ended up with:

rebuilt Napa steering pump

several replacements of the steering pump O-ring

STI steering U-joint knuckle

Cusco Steering Rack Brace

Whiteline steering rack bushings

Nothing addressed the shake described above. My steering is way better than stock, but still feels wonky under hard turn. When I put my snow tires on it feels really vague till I get used to it.

I'd like to get an STI rack.

Edited by ashwinearl

I was chasing two things, one was vague steering and the other was front end vibration. My front end was very slow speed when turning and going over rough surfaces. Such as turning left over a drive way lip, or turning into a parking space that had rough pavement.

I do feel that my steering rack has always been an issue and has slight leak. This has not been addressed yet.

For steering, I ended up with:

rebuilt Napa steering pump

several replacements of the steering pump O-ring

STI steering U-joint knuckle

Cusco Steering Rack Brace

Whiteline steering rack bushings

Nothing addressed the shake described above. My steering is way better than stock, but still feels wonky under hard turn. When I put my snow tires on it feels really vague till I get used to it.

I'd like to get an STI rack.

On my wife's Impreza Outback Sport, the rack was leaking for several years before I put in a new rack. It got to the point where my alignment shop wouldn't align it because the toe wouldn't stay set. I was astonished at the difference a new rack made. I didn't realize how bad the previous rack was until I put in a new rack. There was no more slop or vague steering feel.

Which part number was this? Looking at the part catalogs, the pn that comes up with the 14 STi (34170AG022) when searched on ebay gives the squishy legacy kind, not the one you have pictured.

Only looking up the 15+ pn of 34170VA030 do i start to see actual pictures of the solid link.

Though I see when you search ebay for "sti steering linkage" you get all sorts of similar parts to yours that say 08-14 STI fitment. So something is off with the parts catalogs.

Edited by seanyb505

Which part number was this? Looking at the part catalogs, the pn that comes up with the 14 STi (34170AG022) when searched on ebay gives the squishy legacy kind, not the one you have pictured.

Only looking up the 15+ pn of 34170VA030 do i start to see actual pictures of the solid link.

Though I see when you search ebay for "sti steering linkage" you get all sorts of similar parts to yours that say 08-14 STI fitment. So something is off with the parts catalogs.

The solid linkage is subaru 34170FG011 superseded from 34170FG010.

Question for those that have installed this solid link.

Is it a bit short on the firewall side of the steering column ?

Mine is installed on the wagon on its only fits about 3/8-7/16" up the splines.

On the rack its fully seated because there is a grove the bolt slide through. So you can't slide it up a little.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Question for those that have installed this solid link.

Is it a bit short on the firewall side of the steering column ?

Mine is installed on the wagon on its only fits about 3/8-7/16" up the splines.

On the rack its fully seated because there is a grove the bolt slide through. So you can't slide it up a little.

Yep, that's exactly how mine installed, off of a 2011 STI.

Must just be one of those cases where the part number doesn't bring up the correct part. 011 ebay searches will include the legacy style linkage, and 010 will bring up power steering pumps.

Either way, looks like I can budget about $100 less than buying new now.