LegacyGT.com

HELP! Battling Climate Control Issues and I'm About To Lose It

Hello all,

I have searched, gone over the car for the past couple weeks, and messaged multiple people for help. All results have come up empty handed and now it's starting to get to a point where it's frigid out... So I'm reaching out to y'all for maybe something I haven't thought of.

Car: 2006 Legacy GT Single Zone Climate Control (should be the same as dual zone more or less I'd think)

Problem: doesn't work at all... I get illumination power, but that's it. However, the other day I randomly hit some buttons and it magically turned on. It blows super hot which I was thankful for, but it was only temporary. The minute I turned off the car and then back on again it lost all power except illumination. However, I did end up with the symbol seen in one of the attachments. I have checked all my fuses and they're all good. I've swapped out different single zone climate control modules and both do the exact same thing (one was OEM with the car and the other was from the avojdm kit). Last night I unplugged the harness to the main controller (seen in the other attachment) and the display went blank... So now I'm basically at step one.

Questions...

-Any one got any ideas?

-Has anyone ever seen this before?

Oh before it started working the other day it would blow hot air out the vents naturally like on speed 1 or if we had it .5... Basically enough to slowly and I mean snail pace heat the interior. Now after it has stopped working / getting that symbol it does not do that. Which means I'm guessing it's the actuator door? Another question I have is... Would the actuator assembly cause the display to stop working?

Thank you in advance. Cheers

20171002_211545.thumb.jpg.4278d419db8121869094038fe6a1c477.jpg

20171002_214605.thumb.jpg.cfb6c294126fe5271763f8eeb930309f.jpg

Not my area of expertise, but I'd have to wonder about that main controller at this point..

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-GT-Wagon-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD/ELECTRONICS-CONTROL-UNIT/49503174/72343AG01B.html

Not sure if you saw this thread, but it's worth a shot I guess...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/climate-control-not-working-110248.html

I've seen that 2nd thread... guess it might be time to pop open the module and see what it looks like on the inside. I'm hoping I have a spare main controller too and didn't toss it. Hopefully that's not it though, but I'm having a big feeling it is. Both my control modules (HVAC) display the exact same image when connected.

I'm so close to figuring this heater issue out, but I've reached another wall.

I've managed to get the display on and functioning (meaning it blows air) for about 5 seconds. When I turn the key to ACC the display turns on and gets bright (like the headlights are off). It then builds the fan speed to high (or whatever speed it was set at when the car was last on) and after that that's when my 5 seconds starts. During that 5 seconds I can do any adjusting of the panel and the blower blows out nice warm air (32°C). However, after 5 seconds the display dims (like the headlights are turned on), the controls stop working (but the display still shows everything) and the blower stops working... Like it almost just dies (almost sputters to a stop). I've now been able to replicate this 4-5 times.

Any ideas? I know for a fact it's not the display module as it does the same exact thing with another single zone display module. Unit is a single zone climate control with single zone ac/heater stuff and the wiring harness is a JDM complete harness and ECU.

Car is a 2005 USDM Legacy GT Wagon with a 2006 JDM RHD conversion (entire wire harness, JDM ECU, JDM EJ20Y motor, RHD dash, and JDM RHD firewall).

20171007_203653.thumb.jpg.3167950322ba0aed8fc90009599cb137.jpg

It's a long shot, but do you think it could be either the blower motor relay or a/c relay? I don't know much about electrical, but I see those on the fsm wiring diagram and thought, worth a shot at this point.. Instead of buying new ones, maybe just swap a known good in the ac and blower spots to test?

blowerrelay.jpg.7b9ae23cb6966219d8d09ce5c4a70cff.jpg

• 3 years later...
I thought about those too... Im going to pull them later today and have them tested at work. I'm horrible at electrical. Currently have the blower motor and blower motor resistor pulled out to test as well.

Did you ever get this figured out by chance? I have dual zone climate control, tested all fuses, grounds, and power supplies for the AC control panel and the HVAC control module(next to the blower)

I am about to change the Auto HVAC control module if I can find one for a decent price (they are $240 New :eek:), its literally the last thing, I even opened it up and checked the solder points on the board

Sorry to me this is a confusing thread, yes its from 2017...

I thought all GT's in the USA have dual climate controls ?

Mthurb88 what car do you have ?

I did notice this earlier today, not sure if that link will help, see the second post. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/is-there-a-forced-self-test-on-2005-subaru-outback-limited-xt-xt-hvac-system.528196/#post-6078591

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry to me this is a confusing thread, yes its from 2017...

I thought all GT's in the USA have dual climate controls ?

Mthurb88 what car do you have ?

I did notice this earlier today, not sure if that link will help, see the second post. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/is-there-a-forced-self-test-on-2005-subaru-outback-limited-xt-xt-hvac-system.528196/#post-6078591

I have a 2.5i Limited, EJ20Y swapped engine/ecu, I have dual climate control and cannot seem to get the damn thing to even turn on, only illumination of the buttons. I’ve tried 2 factory radios, 1 JDM Ac control panel and 3 auto AC control modules next to the blower. Went through the FSM A/C diagnostics and checked all the fuses, power and grounds for the module and the ac controls as well as continuity of the communication wires and everything is good [emoji30]

I’ve ran out of ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
Mthurbs88, did you ever figure out your HVAC issue? I'm about to try swapping out the AC control module. Page 4,324 (AC(diag)-16) of the vacation pics has a diagnostic procedure if you haven't gone through that already.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread