LegacyGT.com

Using a hood scoop

It would most likely be a custom thing, but even if you got it done, you would see no noticeable gains power wise. so maybe not worth the effort, and just put the hood on for aesthetic purposes.

All of these things. Some do like the look of the hood because it suggests that the car may be turbocharged.

I'm not 100% clear whether the hood is already on the car or the owner gave it to you separately as a second hood. Assuming it's an extra hood, I would recommend you join several local (city to state wide) facebook subaru groups that allow items for sale, and then post it there for sale.

You can use the money for another accessory or something. Mud flaps or something lol.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum. I love the 2008's! They look so good. Add a few details to your profile (car, approximate location), and stick around!

Weight savings of aluminum.. prolly pick up a tenth.. no?

Lighter yes - But .10 savings - Doubt it.... I remember from somewhere gauidance was 100 lbs / .10 - and the lighter hood would be maybe 20 lbs so a little faster but if only that one change - nothing noticeable:p

Lighter yes - But .10 savings - Doubt it.... I remember from somewhere gauidance was 100 lbs / .10 - and the lighter hood would be maybe 20 lbs so a little faster but if only that one change - nothing noticeable:p

I guess a light breakfast could help too

Also, with no intercooler to direct it down and out, the airflow to the upper rear engine compartment actually increases engine bay air pressure, decreases airflow over the radiator, and causes the engine bay to run hot. This is studied, quantified, and documented. People who switch from TMICs to FMICs sometimes have to block off the scoop to avoid overheating the engine.

Also, with no intercooler to direct it down and out, the airflow to the upper rear engine compartment actually increases engine bay air pressure, decreases airflow over the radiator, and causes the engine bay to run hot. This is studied, quantified, and documented. People who switch from TMICs to FMICs sometimes have to block off the scoop to avoid overheating the engine.

On a 2.5i it's usually not a major concern. But a scoop on a non-charged engine is pointless.

And if the air intake goes through the scoop - realize that a tune may be needed even if it's a NA, and it's a great item to scoop in water, dirt and dead birds into your engine as well.

On a 2.5i you may get better off improving your performance with a changed exhaust and a tune. Don't exclude the tune. Don't expect too much of an improvement though.

453747.png

Archived