LegacyGT.com

After three weeks, my LGT is fixed!

RobCatron

Thought I'd take this time to update everyone about my engine woes.

To refresh, I had two problems:

1. The biggest - loss of compression in Cylinder #1 due to internal engine damage
  2. My A/C Unit died

Three weeks later (less one day). I got finally got the car back tonight. I have to say that it is a whole new car -- the car that it should have been when I bought it last June.

The engine problem turned out to be something -- either an internal piece, or foreign matter -- that got into my engine. It damaged my turbo, Piston #1, ring, short block, and head and four lifters. I think this problem was pre-existent when I bought it, as the engine always had a slight "imbalance" to it (which now it does not - smooth as silk idle).

I got the tour of the engine parts, and there was visible damage to all of the above mentioned parts. This caused a dramatic loss of compression in Cylinder one.

The theory is that a piece of the head broke loose somehow, but they were quite honest in saying that they just really didn't know for sure.

Once all of the parts came in, and the tech started reassembling the engine, he noticed that four of the lifters had to be replaced (which delayed me a few days longer than expected).

Get this, though -- the thing that caused the longest wait was the stupid A/C Radio Unit -- they are on nation-wide Backorder - in fact, they are not supposed to be available to ship until next Monday (8/15). They finally just gave up, pulled in a new Leggy GT from the sales lot, and gave me one out of the new car to get me out of the rental and back into my car - so I am happy.

Bottom line is, at 22,000 miles, I have about an 80% new engine, which is much smoother than before, so I guess I can't knock that. And yes, all you naysayers, I am breaking the engine in on synthetic oil - Penzoil Platinum 5w-30.

If feels SOOO nice to be back in the saddle again!

I had some nice conversations with the Techs and they said that normally Subaru engines are bullet proof. They also stated the the 5 speed auto (which mine has) is a good solid transmission with few problems thus far.

In fact, the biggest transmission problem that they said is happening (especially in California) were "kids" reving the engine up and dumping the clutch (which in an AWD drive car, he said isn't too smart). Then, they said that the cars are brought in for warranty repair after their clutch was burnt up. He even mentioned one person that sued but lost the case on such an issue. I thought that was intereresting. They also predicted the demise of the turbo engine in the Legacy Line-up. They are hoping not, as they say that the H6 is a bear to work on for any internal engine problems.

Rob

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sorry to hear all that bs man. Glad you have your ride back. I can't imagine the demise of the turbo engine- it's kind of a Subaru tradition!

Sounds good...appears that they took care of you! And as for the mention of taking away the turbo legacies? what's the deal with that? Is that going to be something sooner, than later? NOT very good news.

Ah, that's just techs talking. They aren't in Subaru Marketing. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I think they were saying it in a sarcastic manner.

And they did take care of me, thank goodness. Driving that Malibu for three weeks was torture, though!

Rob

Sorry to hear all that bs man. Glad you have your ride back. I can't imagine the demise of the turbo engine- it's kind of a Subaru tradition!

Thanks - it was bs. I have had several new/slightly used cars in the last 15 years, and this was the only car that I've ever owned to have serious problems.

Rob

REALLY happy to hear you got your car back, Rob! So.. you think the problem was there from day 1?

Well, it goes back to that old "studder" or rought idle thing (and I don't want to get it going here). It was always there, becoming more persistent up to the time when the check engine light came on.

I liken it to feeling like the engine was moving around a bit - not necessarily a rough idle, per se, but a "stumbling" feeling, that slightly shook the whole car.

Rob

I'm in Lexington... so what's your opinion on World Class Subaru??

Well, I cannot attest to their sales, as I bought my car when they were Oldhams. It is my understanding, however, that Brian Oldham is still the sales manager, and I liked him pretty well. He likes to sell cars, for sure. They move them there.

As far as service, Oldhams was terrible -- especially when the last two cars I owned were Saabs and I had my service done at Bluegrass Motorsports in Louisville -- there was no comparison. My wife owns an Infiniti, too, and she gets spoiled every time she takes her car in.

Oldhams' sucked. You should NEVER call a service facility and get an answering machine during regular business hours, and then not to have them return your call until the next day -- inexcusable.

I am much more impressed with World Class. They have a huge new service facility in their used car facility down the road from the Subaru dealership (touted as the "Largest Used Car Dealership in Kentucky) - a very nice, large modern sales and service facility. The Tech that worked on my car, Steve, is top notch, and he shot me straight on everything.

Brian, the service advisor, though green to Subaru, seems good too.

PM Sent

yeah.. Brian definitely seems green to Subaru-- had to call him to make sure they put down that they felt a rough idle and a studder in my car on my service report on my last visit. B/C they aparantly didn't feel it until I took one of their techs out on the road with it when they were getting ready to close after they'd given my car back to me. They seem a lot more responsive when you have them in your car when they are getting ready to head out... lol

Archived