LegacyGT.com

New Owner Questions

Hey guys, I'm the new second owner of a '99 Legacy GT sedan. The car is in great condition and has just under 58k on the odometer. However, I learned the day after I bought that the EJ25D is infamous for head gasket issues. I planned on having the timing belt done since it hasn't been serviced since '06. So far I haven't noticed any signs of head gasket issues but now I'm paranoid. Would it be worth it to just have the head gaskets changed along with the timing belt, water pump etc.? It seems like most people don't have problems until around 100k but the car is still 19 years old. I just figure it would save me the headache down the line and leave me with a relatively worry-free car.

if you know the cars history and the PO didnt run it hot and such, just take care to make sure theres always oil and coolant, and dont run it into the red and you should be fine. my 2.5 GT didnt have head gasket issues until about 165k miles, and two teenagers driving it daily.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has done over 200k miles on original head gasket?

Mine has done around 120k miles and I have no idea if the head gasket has been done as no service history was provided with the car, plus it was from a dealer, so they didn't know either.

I understand your paranoia, because I feel the same!

Just wondering if anyone has done over 200k miles on original head gasket?

I got 206,000 out of my EJ251 in my 02 Forester before the head gasket failed. Mine failed externally (leak on back of the head) and internally (coolant in the oil). The 25D in my 99 Outback failed at 140k and I just picked up a 98 Outback that the previous owner had it since 2000 when it had 21,000 miles on it. Today it has 231,000 and the head gasket is showing signs of an internal failure (coolant in combustion chamber) but it's a very slow leak. I drove it 120 miles to my house and only lost about a quart of coolant. Commonly, they fail around 100k-140k, but anomalies do happen.

So it really sounds like if an ej25 hasn't had a new head gasket, it is kinda like a ticking time bomb.

Is there any way to tell from looking inside the engine bay if a head gasket has been done or not?

Look at the seam where the heads meets the block. The new MLS gaskets stick out (literally) like a sore thumb. I use Fel-Pro almost exclusively so you'll see blue in that space.

Archived