LegacyGT.com

Another Recall

ninoid

I was supposed to pick up my new 2016 Legacy tomorrow, and the dealership just called to say that they (and other Subaru dealerships) cannot sell/release new sales to customers until further notice, per the government. He said he was unaware of an ETA at this point, and didn't know much about the recall other than it has something to do with steering components.

Anyone here anything similar? I googled the topic; nothing. Put in my VIN on the Subaru site,many it says there are no recalls for my car. Must be too soon to show up on their site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was supposed to pick up my new 2016 Legacy tomorrow, and the dealership just called to say that they (and other Subaru dealerships) cannot sell/release new sales to customers until further notice, per the government. He said he was unaware of an ETA at this point, and didn't know much about the recall other than it has something to do with steering components.

Anyone here anything similar? I googled the topic; nothing. Put in my VIN on the Subaru site,many it says there are no recalls for my car. Must be too soon to show up on their site.

Looks like OKZ beat me to linking to my announcement on the stop-sale/ recall on this thread. I did post about it HERE on LGT too..

It is to inspect the listed VINs to see if they may have a defective steering column (check the Lot No. on the column). If it does, they have to replace it before they can sell it/ deliver it. If you new car is just an inspect and 'good to go', it shouldn't be more than a couple of days. If it needs replacement column, it will depend on how quickly your dealer gets parts from SOA.

-JMart

Looks like OKZ beat me to linking to my announcement on the stop-sale/ recall on this thread. I did post about it HERE on LGT too..

It is to inspect the listed VINs to see if they may have a defective steering column (check the Lot No. on the column). If it does, they have to replace it before they can sell it/ deliver it. If you new car is just an inspect and 'good to go', it shouldn't be more than a couple of days. If it needs replacement column, it will depend on how quickly your dealer gets parts from SOA.

-JMart

Thanks for that explanation. Because my dealer called me a couple of hours ago saying my car is good to go and they just have to put it back together. I was like: "put what back together"?

So by what you're saying above, they actually have to take apart and insect the steering column, right? Couldn't they have just run my VIN to see if my car was impacted?

Thanks for that explanation. Because my dealer called me a couple of hours ago saying my car is good to go and they just have to put it back together. I was like: "put what back together"?

So by what you're saying above, they actually have to take apart and insect the steering column, right? Couldn't they have just run my VIN to see if my car was impacted?

Nevermind. I just read the service bulletin... Makes more sense now.

In a production a number of items like steering columns are produced in batches (lots) on a different location in the world and then put on pallets and in containers. Since they are assumed to be identical and you have a number of pallets they will be mixed up during transport and storage. Normally not a big deal until there's a batch of the part that fails.

The lot number is probably stamped on the column in a location that requires some disassembly to be viewed.

What the problem is - that's another issue. It can be a bad welding, incorrect hardening or something completely different. I think it's a good thing that it was discovered and hopefully not many vehicles are out on the road with this problem.

453747.png

My VIN is in the inspection range.

I contacted my service manager and confirmed the VIN is listed. He said parts start shipping to dealers 'as available' and notices go out to customers shortly.

He also said if they inspect the car and the steering column lot is included in the recall that he cannot release the car back to me until the recall is satisfied.

So.. I am going to gamble on the parts being there next week and take the car in next Tuesday.

Hopefully I can get a better loaner car this time. I am in love with the Legacy and that first loaner 2.0 Impreza without eyesight they gave me really pointed that out.

Just an update: I went ahead and took it in this morning to be inspected. My steering column must be replaced.

SA said every legacy and outback on their lot from those dates was affected.

Ran into Carl Abrams while I was there, said hi. Nice guy. He is who I will buy my next subaru from. Every salesperson should have his experience with the community (950 posts on the outback forums since jan 2015).

As far as 'better to be without a car than lose the steering on the highway' goes.. I agree. The frustrating thing is that I park in a garage at home, and I live in the land of large hail and large tornadoes. My dealership is right in the active path of every major hail storm that goes through central oklahoma. And when I drop it off they make me sign on the line next to the fine print that says they are responsible for ZERO damage to the car, including dents, dings, and hail. Weather kicks back up on monday. :(

I tried to insist they let me store it at home, undriven, in my garage and they can come tow it back when the parts are in, but the only way that would have happened is if I refused to let them inspect it in the first place, thus putting me at the back of the queue.

Doing my best not to get worked up over something that hasn't happened yet, but *I* want to be the person who dents and scratches and ruins the 'new' on my car that still has less than 500 miles on it. I would prefer the dealership not add new rattles from taking my car apart (again) and then parking it outside in the hail for a week or worse. The only dent on my car came from the dealership before I bought it, so I know shit happens to cars parked on their lot.

Once the 'new' is gone, I drive my cars for what they are, as expensive dependable tools to be utilized fully to their capability. But for now it is still new and I worry.

On the plus side, they gave me an identical (though with working steering) 2016 Legacy w/ Eyesight. I am quite pleased with their loaner program so far. So at least as far as inconvenience, they are doing their best to minimize it.

It sucks that something SOA dropped the ball on is affecting my opinion of my service department. Their hands are tied as much as anyone as far as not letting me take my car home until it is safe. I hope SOA finds a way to make this up to their customers.

With any luck, parts will arrive Friday and I will have my car back soon. Hopefully it will still be new when they return it to me.

After 72 hours and 250 miles of ownership the dealer called me this morning to bring it in for the recall. Gave me a 2015 Nissan Sentra for a rental and could not tell me when I would get my Legacy back. So much for the initial ownership experience.

I'd consider getting the car in and providing an alternate vehicle to drive while they replace a part that if it failed could kill you a pretty reasonable solution to this potential issue.

maybe I'm too loyal to Subaru, but ... I'm pleased that Subaru did not wait for another case and rushed with investigation and recall. Yes, I missed having 6 star car on my driveway, but happy that my wife and kids did not get to any incident, because of this issue.

I checked NSTA site with my vin Subaru app and dealership. My 2016 3.6R not impacted. I have worked in Supplier Management during my career in quality. Considering impact of failures the initial supplier is and should be fully accountable for their failures. No passing the buck. Maybe if Takata or other auto suppliers were handled like peanut companies we would see fewer auto recalls

maybe I'm too loyal to Subaru, but ... I'm pleased that Subaru did not wait for another case and rushed with investigation and recall. Yes, I missed having 6 star car on my driveway, but happy that my wife and kids did not get to any incident, because of this issue.

I'm a bit biased too; I own a Subaru and sell them; and I feel the same way. I would much rather know that when something is found it's a drop everything else and make correcting it the No.1 priority, even if it is inconvenient for your customers and dealers and you loose a few PR points.

Recalls and defects happen, it is part of manufacturing (and with he complexity of a modern automobile you just get more chances for it to happen) it's the companies that work to minimize them and how they take care of them with it comes up. With Subaru, that goes towards why I choose to sell them and own one.

-JMart

After 72 hours and 250 miles of ownership the dealer called me this morning to bring it in for the recall. Gave me a 2015 Nissan Sentra for a rental and could not tell me when I would get my Legacy back. So much for the initial ownership experience.

Right- it would have been a much better ownership experience if they took GM route with the ignitions :rolleyes:

Archived