LegacyGT.com

Navigation Install (OEM)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost makes you wonder if it was just worth getting the package and avoid this whole headache. Even came with a free sunroof and push button start, too. :hide:

Rest assured guys I barely even use my nav, it's more of a headache than it's worth having to be stopped to use it... (Have to wait until I'm at a redlight to let my girlfriend in the passenger's seat enter an address..)

I just added a Garmin to the dash of my wife's Forester. Also added an external XM receiver. Sometimes I doubt the vale of the integrated unit.

(I had the same in my BMW and honestly... The tech worked better).

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

• 2 weeks later...
Just bought a nav from an East coast salvage yard. Had pictures sent to verify the correct model. Nav will be here Friday but won't have a chance to install until Monday since I'm out of town for a wedding. Really looking forward to installing the NAV, hoping it will work right! As far as I'm tracking, this would be the first time this has been done on our 6th Gen Legacy. Wish me luck! I'll defiantly write up a DIY after the install.

If installing an aftermarket head unit will cause some loss of functionality in terms of ports and steering wheel controls that a big turnoff for me. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't some settings for the car controlled by the head unit such as door lock settings?

Success !!!!! After months of searching for a used Starlink Navigation from a Premium trim Legacy / Outback I finally found one at a junkyard in Pennsylvania. The installation is pretty straight forward and really only takes 5 minutes, no joke! I can only confirm that this works on a 2015 Subaru Legacy Premium (without Nav already installed) but don't see why it won't work on a Outback / or Limited trim. Total price for the install was $480 (Nav for $420, GPS for $60) Nav works great, I even called at got a Sirius XM Traffic subscription on it. Follow the steps below to DIY -

A few cautions - When looking for a used / junkyard Nav unit online or in person, ensure you have seen the unit before purchasing. Many only sellers and junkyards have this unit either incorrectly labled or wrongly priced. If you have a premium trim, only Nav part #86271AL64A will work, if you use the NAV from a Limited trim the sound will not work correctly. Also, you will need a SD card for the NAV to work, some come with it, some don't. Other than searching for a long time for the correct part, this was a breeze! Check out my video on how to remove the Radio / Nav, it's easier than you might think -

Prep - Tools Needed

- a) Wrench to remove negative battery cable

- b) Trim tool kit to remove vent & trim pieces

- c) Phillps Head Screwdriver

1 - Buy the parts -

- a) Navigation Unit / part #86271AL64A (price depends, $400 - $1200)

- b) GPS Antenna / part # 86277AL60A (price new around $60)

- c) 3M Double Sided Tape / (around $5 at a hardware store)

- d) Trim removal tool kit (around $5-$10 online)

2 - Remove Radio -

- a) Disconnect negative battery terminal

- b) Remove vent above the radio

- c) Remove lower trim piece for HVAC controls

- d) Remove HVAC controls

- e) Remove old Radio

3 - Install GPS / NAV

- a) Remove metal bracket from GPS and install w/ 3M tape inside the dash

- b) Connect radio connections & GPS to Nav unit

- c) Reinstall HVAC, Trim & Upper Vent

- d) Reconnect negative battery terminal

- e) Enjoy your new NAV

- Please let me know if you have any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them.

Edited by AirBorne1Cav

And of course I can't find a radio now.

Just depends how much you're willing to spend. There are several navigation used ones from $750 - $900, which I'm sure you can talk down another $50-$100. Check out http://www.car-part.com/ and do a search. I literally was looking for a decent priced navigation since last August / September when I started this topic.

Also remember, you will be able to sell your old radio for around $300 to help with the cost of purchasing the navigation unit.

- Good luck

Success !!!!! After months of searching for a used Starlink Navigation from a Premium trim Legacy / Outback I finally found one at a junkyard in Pennsylvania. The installation is pretty straight forward and really only takes 5 minutes, no joke! I can only confirm that this works on a 2015 Subaru Legacy Premium (without Nav already installed) but don't see why it won't work on a Outback / or Limited trim. Total price for the install was $480 (Nav for $420, GPS for $60) Nav works great, I even called at got a Sirius XM Traffic subscription on it. Follow the steps below to DIY -

Well done!!! I am very impressed with your achievement. I would be far too scared to try anything like this.

Just depends how much you're willing to spend. There are several navigation used ones from $750 - $900, which I'm sure you can talk down another $50-$100. Check out http://www.car-part.com/ and do a search. I literally was looking for a decent priced navigation since last August / September when I started this topic.

Also remember, you will be able to sell your old radio for around $300 to help with the cost of purchasing the navigation unit.

- Good luck

Yeah but I have found them in the past when I thought I already had one in the 300-450 range. I think LKQ that has them all posted has it backward the HK limited system is listed 200-400 and the basic one with Nav is 900ish.

Yeah but I have found them in the past when I thought I already had one in the 300-450 range. I think LKQ that has them all posted has it backward the HK limited system is listed 200-400 and the basic one with Nav is 900ish.

Oh yeah, 100% agree. LKQ has major issues with part listings. They tried to charge me $700 for th base model radio, $400 for the limited navigation and $900 for a premium radio.... Out of control :spin::spin::spin:

Just call and ask before you buy, the place I dealt with was great, they even texted me pictures to verify correct part and condition.

Wow good job but I have couple of questions to clarify it for the others.

-Why do you need a SD card and what exactly does it do in this case?

-I also did not know that Nav was actually an option on premium models. What is the difference between a Premium vs Limited head unit? HK sound system?

Great job!

The SD card has the nav maps and info.

The Premium does not have the HK amp interface. The Limiyed Nav does not work sound wise without the HK amp bits.

The OP will correct me if I am wrong.

---

The SD card has the nav maps and info.

The Premium does not have the HK amp interface. The Limiyed Nav does not work sound wise without the HK amp bits.

The OP will correct me if I am wrong.

I see.

Do limiteds have SD cards as well? I never bothered to check if there actually was something in there.

Also a link would be useful as far as where to get this SD card with all the map info and updates.

.... And no it can not be cloned or copied.

I made a copy of my nav SD card early last year, just in case anything were to happen to my OEM one, wasn't about to pay a few hundred for a new one.

I haven't tried copying it over to another microSD card to test it out, but I do know I was able to copy all files off of it onto my HDD.

But I can't remember if I did anything special to copy it or not, I just remember I was able to get it all copied off.