LegacyGT.com

2010 base Legacy 6MT w/issue

Plain Jane

Hello. Recently came across a Subie that the owner wants to get off his hands. It's a manual 2010 Legacy with ~85k miles. Looks clean and drives well, only thing is it makes a terrible binding noise when turning at low speed. From what we've gathered it's very likely a transfer clutch solenoid. How much of a hassle is this to change and is it worth the trouble? He's willing to let the car go for a steal. Not desperate for a car at this point, but hard to pass up a good opportunity.

Thanks

The AWD on the MT is a viscous coupler. If its binding at low speeds turns it likely the VC is locked up, so you would need to replace that.

Their is also a reason the viscous coupler is over heated and destroyed. It is pretty likely that someone didn't replace all 4 tires and only did one or two. Matching tire depths is very important with AWD, as they should be all within 1/32 or so (at most 2/32)

It looks like the center differential (viscous coupler) has a list price of $460. Looking at the service manual, they list the transmission removal to the job. I have never done one in a Subaru. The disassembly isn't extensive, but it does have clearance that need to be check with selectable washers upon re-assembly. I don't know what your skill level is, it isn't a beginner or intermediate level project. With discounted parts it probably is in the $425 range if you do it yourself. I would guess at a dealer, this is easily $1500-2000 repair.

Checked the tires. They're the same brand and model all around with good tread. However the front right tire is low on air. If it had been driven like that for long enough, would that have caused the problem?

The rack-and-pinion was replaced recently thinking that was the problem. It had no effect.

I have a good mechanic. He specializes in Mitsubishis (did the LSD & clutch/flywheel on my car), but don't think a stock Subaru should give him too much trouble. If the cost to repair eclipses the savings on the car, than perhaps it isn't worth it

I just put a center diff in my 2010 Legacy about a month ago. I sourced the part from a Subaru dealer online for $400 shipped and it took a couple of hours to complete. I replaced the trans cross member supports with Whiteline bushings, put a Kartboy short shift adapter and perring shift bushing while I was in there.

It's an easier job than the directions make it sound. I have a lift, so maybe that's a little biased. Your mechanic shouldn't have an issue with it for sure.

The symptoms I had were parking lot jerking and banging at slow speeds, especially if I was driving for a while (higher speeds made it worse). Towards the end it would happen after shorter rides, though the jerking wasn't as bad till the system heated up enough. Hotter days were worse.

I suspect mine happened because the previous owner liked to drift in the snow. I see you are in a cold snowy place and I would assume that is how yours overheated to begin with.

The front and rear wheels spinning at different speeds, at a high rate of rotations kills it.

Good luck and if you have any questions just post them up. You will get more traffic if you post your questions in the 5th gen forum too.

Yes this ^^^^^ another tell tell sign is to look at the area around the front axles and the drain plug if it look discolored (like the burnt tip mufflers you see or a heat cycled header) that is a dead give away the were doing donuts/drifting.

Yes, I had heard these cars had CV issues, so that is worth a look as well. Odd that someone would choose a base Legacy as a drift car seeing as it's not RWD and doesn't even have a proper handbrake. Definitely wouldn't be my first choice in a hoonmobile

Car has a manual driver's seat, so it looks like a base model. Does have heated seats and mirrors though. A nice addition for a Canadian car

40e7RATz_t.jpg OchuVtfd_t.jpg kEXVk73E_t.jpg

Archived