LegacyGT.com

Dent removal - they drilled a hole in the door

If the dent removal guy had not forgotten to install a grommet I probably would not have caught it. But the hole looked knew (metal without paint showing) and no grommet. So I investigated. Yep, the one time I was out to peek, I did see him with the same set-up in the door jam.

I wish I didn't know. It will bug me that I have a non-factory hole in the door. My wife wanted the ding out but I could have lived with it and felt better than having someone drill a hole in the car door.

Sorry I've been complaining lately but I can't wait to have everything buttoned up so that I don't have to have anyone else other than my grimy fingers touch this car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjg6YwKISRQ

Totally normal for them to drill a hole in the door jams, depending the location of the dent. I have 2 them in my door jams. Given, he should have place a small grommet there to seal the hole.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Totally normal for them to drill a hole in the door jams, depending the location of the dent. I have 2 them in my door jams. Given, he should have place a small grommet there to seal the hole.
Ok. I just didn't know and some forums say remove panel....ni drills.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Last night I checked for burrs and there were none. I knew I was stopping by his place today for the missing grommet so I painted the edges. I was expecting him to insert a nice rubber grommet. Nope. It is a snap in hard plastic, such as you would see in the interior.

So where did the swarf go? Laying at the bottom to clog drain holes. I think these recon people rely on the premise of hiding things and as little as the customer knows ...the better it is for them.

If it were mine I would make sure there are no burrs on that hole, paint it to protect the metal, and then fit a rubber plug.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

So this is an interesting thread based on my personal experience. My wife and I bought a used 2014 Fusion last year and we noticed a small 1/4" hole in the passenger side back door jam. We didn't think anything of it. It was a rental car from Hawaii, who knows what could have happened. A few weeks ago after a good rain, I noticed the back bumper on that side didn't look as shiny as the rest of the car. Makes perfect sense that the car was likely hit and the hole is the result of some PDR on that quarter panel and the bumper was touched up and not blended properly.

it's. .. . .it's a 20 year old station wagon. . . it's not a 22B or some other car made from unicorn tears and unobtanium.

If a small hole in an unnoticeable place bothers you, pull the panel or pay for a brand new door assembly, have it painted to match, etc.

Yes the PDR guys drill holes to fix stuff. It's the most effective way to do it. It's not like they're loosening up the jesus nut on a helicopter or something. . . very likely your car will be off the road before any rust there becomes a problem.

Archived