LegacyGT.com

Type RA vs STI Engine Internals

• 4 weeks later...
I have not disassembled one personally. But from everyone I spoke to that has, the only difference is a crankshaft that is inferior to the heat treated crank from a 2013 STi a slight change to the piston that means basically nothing and the tune is so aggressive (just like the 2015= WRX) that on our ACN91 pump gas the car knocks itself to death.

I just got my 2nd RA shortblock as the 1st was damaged in shipping.

Has anyone actually done metallurgy testing on the pistons? I know that the only area that has changed is the wrist pin area. Since the manufacturer is now hitachi, maybe the casting has a different silica content for a better overall piston.

I'm not saying they are better at all, but they seem to have gotten a bad review already.

I only purchased this shortblock because it was cheaper anyways so it doesn't really matter.

The casting material matters little. The ringlands are the same. No one has come up with a way to add more material and beef up the ringlands.

Cant see why the laws of physics and engineering cant be changed. Lol. Knock will still blow then apart. The forged pistons offer the ability to handle a more violent explosion.

There is no magic in the ra engine. The oe tune is more agressive.

Marketing.

Archived