LegacyGT.com

Not a fair comparison, but still.....

My wife just got a 2015 limited Legacy last week. She specifically wanted some of the features I have in my car, a 2014 Audi A6.

After a week, and 400 miles, a comparison of the implementation of those features is interesting:

General drivability. Other than power (obviously the A6 excels here), we find both cars similar. Both are quiet (the Audi a bit quieter, but the Legacy very acceptable), and the handling on both is good and predictable. The cabin is roomy and comfortable in both. Rear visibility on the Legacy is much better.

Eyesight vs A6 Active cruise control. Again, both are about equal. The Eyesight system is a bit annoying in that it beeps every time it "acquires" or "unacquires" (probably not a word) a car in front. Other than that, both systems perform as specified. I like the A6 controls over the (somewhat cheesy) switches on the Legacy. I also like that the A6 shows the currently set speed as a red dot on the speedometer. It just seems a bit more intuitive than a digital display.

Navigation. A nod to the Legacy here. I much prefer touch screen controls over the kludgey (albiet well designed) A6 knob control system. The "re-calculating" message on the Legacy gets old fast and is really unnecessary. The POI system on the Legacy is more intuitive, and I was able to find places easily. At the end of the day, though, they both seem to get me to my destination.

Keyless entry. Identical in both, which is to say excellent. The Legacy has remote start, which the A6 lacks. It's nice when the temperature is 12.

HBH

Nice comparison. While the Subaru is not an Audi (and definitely cheaper), it still is an incredible value for the dollar and is a durable and reliable vehicle that I would definitely own and want to keep after the warrantee runs out!

My wife just got a 2015 limited Legacy last week. She specifically wanted some of the features I have in my car, a 2014 Audi A6.

After a week, and 400 miles, a comparison of the implementation of those features is interesting:

General drivability. Other than power (obviously the A6 excels here), we find both cars similar. Both are quiet (the Audi a bit quieter, but the Legacy very acceptable), and the handling on both is good and predictable. The cabin is roomy and comfortable in both. Rear visibility on the Legacy is much better.

Eyesight vs A6 Active cruise control. Again, both are about equal. The Eyesight system is a bit annoying in that it beeps every time it "acquires" or "unacquires" (probably not a word) a car in front. Other than that, both systems perform as specified. I like the A6 controls over the (somewhat cheesy) switches on the Legacy. I also like that the A6 shows the currently set speed as a red dot on the speedometer. It just seems a bit more intuitive than a digital display.

Navigation. A nod to the Legacy here. I much prefer touch screen controls over the kludgey (albiet well designed) A6 knob control system. The "re-calculating" message on the Legacy gets old fast and is really unnecessary. The POI system on the Legacy is more intuitive, and I was able to find places easily. At the end of the day, though, they both seem to get me to my destination.

Keyless entry. Identical in both, which is to say excellent. The Legacy has remote start, which the A6 lacks. It's nice when the temperature is 12.

HBH

You can turn off the beeps from the car in front "acquire" and "car ahead has moved" in the settings menu somewhere. I think I did that because it drove me crazy as well. Great comparison synopsis. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest rayms69
Helmar is your wifes Legacy a 4 or 6 cylinder? boo to you white tiger. I like that analogy, Legacy the working mans audi. Audi is very good, but too expensive. AWD systems are very comparable in real world driving. I was gonna get an A8 before i decided on my Legacy. Believe me, the A8 is a super sweet ride, but im glad i have my luxury subby style sedan, LOL. I have a Q7, so i know about constant repairs needed, luckily i understand German.

You can turn off the beeps from the car in front "acquire" and "car ahead has moved" in the settings menu somewhere. I think I did that because it drove me crazy as well. Great comparison synopsis. Thanks.

Any guidance on how to do this would be appreciated! I can't find it and the dealer had no idea on how to do this....

the most important comparison is the one that's missing. which one is more fun to drive. The Audi is more fun.

Well, it certainly is more fun when a red light turns green, but to be honest, driving on the road, I notice little difference.

What was the price differential. Friends in ski country have a Q5 and A6 and I told them I was getting the working man's Audi, the Subaru Legacy.

The Audi A6 is around double the price of the Legacy.

Helmar is your wifes Legacy a 4 or 6 cylinder?

She got the 4 banger.

By the way, other minor nav system differences:

• The Audi nav system displays the next 3 turns, with distances and exit numbers, the Subaru doesn't.
  • The Subaru displays both amount of time to destination, and time of arrival. The Audi only displays time of arrival. I usually am more interested in amount of time to destination.

HBH

Any guidance on how to do this would be appreciated! I can't find it and the dealer had no idea on how to do this....

2015 EyeSight Owner's Manual, page 81.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 3 years later...
EyeSight Owner's Manual, page 81.

Reviving this because you mention of pg 81..

I recently got the updated ecu for battery charging. My eyesight settings were lost so my car is beeping when it acquires the lead car.

I went to the menu and found I only have 6 pages of settings and none are eyesight specific.

Has anyone else noticed they lost the eyesight settings menu and will dealer reflash bring it back?

EDIT: this may be user error.. I had the dealer re-flash, and it works now. I'm not convinced I was navigating the menu's correctly prior to the re-flash so it might be entirely coincidental that I got it working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I traded in my Audi A6 BiTurbo V6 for my 2013 Legacy. Was the Audi insanely fast? Yes. But that's not how I drive. I don't need to race people at traffic lights and up mountains at 100 MPH.

And as my Audi broke the 100,000 mile mark, and various things began to fail, and oil began to leak out of everything (even with ALL PM work done at the dealer), the "fun to drive" factor quickly faded and became the "I hope nothing else fails this month" and "please don't let a turbo fail" when I accelerate hard uphill...

So new, out of the box, the Audi wins with fun factor.

But for long-term reliability and low cost of ownership and maintenance, the FUN FACTOR for the Legacy wins in my book.

This. As a former S4 owner, don't miss the maintenance costs at ALL!

But for long-term reliability and low cost of ownership and maintenance, the FUN FACTOR for the Legacy wins in my book.

So, based on my original observations, and on subsequent comments:

If biased toward fun and performance, Audi and trade it in when it starts to fail.

If biased toward saving money and longevity (without sacrificing a great driving experience), at the expense of performance, Subaru.

I have a 2016 Legacy , Limited with Eyesight . My first Subaru .

Long time Honda Accord owner and then a 2010 Nissan Altima .

If I could change/improve one thing on it - make it quieter in the cabin .

So OP , I'm a bit surprised that you find your Legacy not bad compared to the Audi .

I only have about 25K on it , but I hope when I change out the tires that it will

help , at least a little .

Somewhat obnoxious on a long trip on freeways .

And no , I'm not gonna add any sound deadening on my own .

I'll be looking around for something new late next year , 2020 model year .

Interior noise will be getting more attention this time around .

George

I have a 2016 Legacy , Limited with Eyesight . My first Subaru .

Long time Honda Accord owner and then a 2010 Nissan Altima .

So OP , I'm a bit surprised that you find your Legacy not bad compared to the Audi .

I only have about 25K on it , but I hope when I change out the tires that it will

help , at least a little .

Somewhat obnoxious on a long trip on freeways .

And no , I'm not gonna add any sound deadening on my own .

I'll be looking around for something new late next year , 2020 model year .

Interior noise will be getting more attention this time around .

George

If you're still running the OEM Goodyears, then yes the tires suck. Change them out for a quieter tire and your cabin will be quieter.

This. As a former S4 owner, don't miss the maintenance costs at ALL!

Audi, BMW and Mercedes are known for being expensive cars to own and maintain. There are worse cars though, but then it's rare cars that you usually don't have as a daily driver.

If cars don't fail then you can't sell new cars - and a designed lifetime is more or less standard after which most stuff fails. If you plan to keep a car "forever" - go for something with very few complicated parts and low power.

There's a reason why the Volvo P1800 that Irv Gordon owns has lived so long - it's built on very basic stuff - with one of the most reliable engines ever made.

Today every component is essentially calculated by a bean counter to get the "ideal" lifetime so that almost everything fails simultaneously making almost all repairs coming at the same time and therefore making it easier to buy a new car than to repair the old.

453747.png

George

Have you driven the 2018 Legacy? I rented a 2016 outback and it was louder than my new legacy. New legacy is really quiet and they've improved on the materials to quiet the car down.

Have you driven the 2018 Legacy? I rented a 2016 outback and it was louder than my new legacy. New legacy is really quiet and they've improved on the materials to quiet the car down.

I haven't . I do believe they added better sound reducing dr glass in 17 or 18 .

I travel to DE every year for family vacation .

And now I will be going to MD every year as well , to see grandkids over the Xmas holidays .

On both the freeway noise is pretty intrusive , tiring . I'm not saying the Legacy is worse than others in the class . ( Any feedback ? )

But I do hope to find something quieter the next time around , without getting into luxury $$$ .

It's kind of hard to ascertain sound levels on a typical test drive .

I did buy a sound meter last year ! Will be handy .......

George

I haven't . I do believe they added better sound reducing dr glass in 17 or 18 .

I travel to DE every year for family vacation .

And now I will be going to MD every year as well , to see grandkids over the Xmas holidays .

On both the freeway noise is pretty intrusive , tiring . I'm not saying the Legacy is worse than others in the class . ( Any feedback ? )

But I do hope to find something quieter the next time around , without getting into luxury $$$ .

It's kind of hard to ascertain sound levels on a typical test drive .

I did buy a sound meter last year ! Will be handy .......

George

I don't find my 2017 Legacy to be loud at all, but I was coming from a WRX which was pretty loud.

For the price, you could buy a legacy and have someone else install dynamat in the interior and still be way ahead of a luxury car cost.

Archived