LegacyGT.com

Bought me a 3.0R (Lots of Custom Goodies, Flared, EVO X Calipers etc...)

Dead Mr.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all. Update time. Unfortunately I didn’t get as much as I wanted done this weekend due to life and stuff…. LOL But, I did manage to make some progress none the less.

Started by modifying my fuel lines to adapt AN fittings because the stock hardlines no longer fit under my colossal manifold.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/97AE867C-6A8A-4B02-A82E-C3B7BF819601_zpskqvl7csu.jpg

I also got a high flow fuel filter which the car doesn’t need but it allowed me to finish the fuel system and nothing wrong with adding another filter since the in tank one is 7 years old. I decided to make a custom mount to hold the filter and a catch can a buddy sold me ages ago.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/531F2FBE-7220-4BCB-9412-059A3A28182F_zpshb5ytf18.jpg

And BAM! Yes I know this is on the passenger side of the car but it’s a little more fuel line and it fits over there much better. Runs from the bottom to a TEE and into the rails since this is a return-less system. The catch can will run into the manifold in a low and hidden spot.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/82636F13-B9E4-4A09-9D88-7D2623AE1371_zpsztzlfdub.jpg

Next was to start back on the fab work. Finished welding the intake pipes but it still needs some love before paint.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/B632FC6F-C6A6-4CF9-9D05-6A4DFC272AD0_zpsbabnn09y.jpg

But now we are at the part that was my main focus. Getting the flange for my lexan window installed in the intake manifold. First was the cardboard template.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/06F50519-8DD9-4035-B766-2F0274F1F4F0_zpsasoj4km4.jpg

Next was to transfer it into metal. I used 3/8” Square tubing as its perfect and already has a nice rounded edge.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/0D7A01FF-7E04-41A8-ACD5-AF87DB75005D_zpseotmpqeu.jpg

Then a little test fit to make sure it would slip in and not hit the hood or something since there is little clearance as it is.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/39310CA5-DEAC-49BA-A16C-AC33ED63C2EF_zpsjznttqqq.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/BE321451-7F99-4CBA-B683-EB4E1BF97652_zpsrschpebc.jpg

Next was to install the flange the Lexan would seal and bolt to. ½” wide 1/8” thick flat bar made it nice and easy.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/8C08E170-333F-46AE-A135-03B5F9278222_zpsekvwbd4i.jpg

This took a while to build. Had to be pretty precise. The Lexan is 3/8” thick and fits total flush with the top of the flange it will looks awesome and should never fail. I uses a little body filter to seal up the splits between the pieces and its fully welded on the backside. The Lexan should only need a fillet on its inside edge little RTV in the along it should allow for a good air tight seal after its bolted to the flange. I traced the flange on paper with a scale so I could get the Lexan drawn in CAD. Now I can cut perfect pieces and also etch the Lexan with a cool design to personalize the car even further.

Hides a little more but still looks good (note the stacks aren't installed)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/E0DFC8B0-8309-4478-91DB-E189A29F1D52_zpsvtadfhb1.jpg

Anyways that’s all I got for now. I am hoping I will be able to finish welding the manifold and get it painted so I can start installing things for the last time this weekend. I still need to make my harness but I’m working on a drawing during the week so I may have to do that once all the fabricated parts are painted and drying.

Also, on a side note I did my next drawing for my website to showcase the Thumbdrives I had made for my Donations thing and to use as adaptive business cards and it has a sexy girl, a cool background of a back alley with walls covered in graffiti and…… I drew the Lego! It looks pretty amazing and even though the drawing is for my site it can still stand on its own so I thought it would be a nice touch as a culminating piece for this build. I would post the lineout but that will spoil it so yall have to wait till it’s done. HAHA. Also once this car is done I will be swapping over to my new name and I will have considerably more time to draw so if any of you guys want some work done I will be avail…. J

So this weekend the plan is to finish and paint the intake and manifold. Fab my strut bar, make my battery tray and install the batt. Fill it full of fluids and hopefully be ready just mod the stock harness to get it running. If it fires on that I will just add all the 36 stuff with its own pigtail and run it into the ECU area so its ready for haltech install and tuning.

Till next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update from this weekend. I ran into a slight issue after i sealed up the bottom of the manifold for some reason it warped the flange points so i had to cut off a side of the tank and re-weld it so it was aligned again and flat. Donno why it shifted but it took some time to fix and I had some other plans this weekend as well that cut into my work time. Looks like she wont be running before I leave on my trip so my new complete goal is end of the year. Lame but thems the breaks.

However I do have something I can show you all. I did manage to finish my drawing with imo a near perfect rendition of star of this thread.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/anime/720B5580-97F8-4733-B11A-ABEB53030A8A_zpsx1xdjeqs.jpg

So that makes 2 serious car portraits now and I will probubly do the rest of the cars I've built over the years as time allows to get more practice in before I start drawing other peoples cars if they commission me too.

Anyways thats all I got if I make any more progress before my trip I'll post up otherwise I will see you all when I get back.

Johann

"Giro Disc" Your Second Gen Lego is amazing. I first got into mine, and after spending a good $4000 on repairs and replacement parts for mine within 5 weeks of owning it I was pretty demoralized. After all, I only spent $3100 on the car itself. But when I started searching around this site and the great NASIOC, I came across your threads and was inspired to keep my head up and eventually it might look as good as yours. Thanks for the great artwork that is your old Legacy, and great work on your recent artwork both Anime and 3.0R related. I used to do a lot of work with pencil and colored pencils, but seeing your work here and on your FB page I can say that it is very well done. Good work man!

I leave on Friday and i get back on teh 23rd then im pushing hard to finish her out before the end of the year i might pop the stock intake manifold and my old intake back on just to get her going for a bit while i touch up the new manifold and paint etc so when i get back updates will resume as normal. Also I will be lining out a bunch more car based anime drawings to help promote my abilities to maybe get a vendor status on here at some point.

I'll see you all when I get back!

Johann

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm back! Trip was fun but I'm happy to be home. Got back Friday and I was antsy to work on the Lego again so I made some progress on her this weekend.

I decided after the intake manifold issues and the weather really starting to turn north (cold) with my wrist I would take it in place and then fab a brace to hold the flanges in place so that I can finish and paint it on the bench and take my time. So I a tacked it together and pulled it off. I sent my MR2 off to my buddies while I was on vacation to finish up the molding the rear widebody we custom modified to widen the ass up another 3" for the new suspension goodies.

So for the Lego I took the stock EZ30 Harness and swapped out the pigtails for the sensors and coil packs so I could plug it into the EZ36. I got all the EZ30 plugs to contact to the engine aside from the:

Oil flow control solenoids valve

Oil switching solenoid valves

Variable valve lift diagnosis oil pressure switch

Basically everything but the AVCS crap.

The EZ36 itself is not running its:

Intake/ Exhaust Variable Cam Timing

Exhaust Cam Sensors

Oil Level Sensor

Just did a quick mod to the harness to prove the concept. I taped the modified parts in green so show where I was I will re-tape it later when I polish it up.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/22C3597B-1D77-45F0-AC16-31F5378350AF_zpsugaulqeu.jpg

The orange wires are to relocate the Oil Pressure Sensor from the back of the EZ30 location to the top front of the EZ36 other than that it was just swapping pigtails to fit the EZ36. I also removed all the required plugs for the EZ36 to make a separate harness to add on later when I hook all that up with the Haltech at a later date.

So for now I popped the Stock manifold and my old intake back on so i could test fire it to see if it would even start and to my surprise she fired right up and was idling great. Took her for a test drive and initially she was very sprightly till the ECU realized the AVCS was not functioning and then put the car in safe mode which was expected. I still need to raise the tail of my exhaust and located the exhaust tips so once that’s done I will post a sound clip she sounds pretty pissed.

Working on getting the stuff I need to reflash the ECU to run the stock EZ36 fuel map and to disable to codes its throwing for the lack of the AVCS. The AVCS should default to high lift mode when no power is running to the sensors so even though this is a temp thing the car should run pretty good and at least get me around will i button up the Manifold and stuff.

The plan is to see how much power I can make with the cars AVCS deactivated on the stock ECU. If it is sufficient I may leave it like that for the time being so I can focus on other things but i just want to make sure for now the engine is okay to run without its variable cam timing.

However with this car firing I can gather that:

The 36 will bolt into place of a 30 and the headers are identical.

The 36 has a forward motor mount on the timing cover that is not required in older Legos but you will need to trim the radiator fan mounts so they do not touch it.

EZ30 and EZ36 share the same ignition trigger systems

There is enough wiring on the EZ30 to run a EZ36 on the stock ecu to retain the CAN bus system for the Automatic Tranny

You will need to swap these pigtails to plug into the 36 if your re-using the ez30 harness:

Cam sensors

Coolant Temp

Oil Pressure (Relocate uses same plug)

Coil Packs

You can re-pin the EZ36 harness to connect to the EZ30 but there is an additional plug for the EZ30 harness you would need to cut off and add in so I think removing and isolating the additional sensors for the 36 to be an add-on harness and integrate to the stock harness is the safer option as your changing less variables which lowers risk of mistakes.

The intake cams could be wired to function if you found the right ports to install the oil switcher and diagnosis sensors and the EZ36 already has plugs for various ports that could probably be used so theoretically I could probably get the EZ30 to run just the intake cams and throw no codes and then tune it to compensate for the exhaust cams running uncontrolled.

The intake manifold/ and harnesses are the same.

You will need to buy the P/S mount from the EZ36 to aline the P/S pump to the crank pulley.

The 36 P/S Bracket will accept the 30 P/S pump no modifications.

You can modify the 30 Alternator and AC brackets to mount the Alternator and AC pump to line up with the belt drive. The pulleys share the same 5 rib belt. Crank Pulley diameter is also the same so no issues with RPMs but the EZ30 Pulley is about 4lbs lighter then the 36 so and it will swap. Swapping the stock 30 alt and a/c pump is the better option in my opinion to getting them to work because the 36 uses a different system to run the AC and will require integration of the 36 ECU and that uncharted territory because I don’t know how that ECUs CAN system would talk to the cars so personally I'd say it was more work then its worth since the modification to just retain the stock stuff would take far less time and less wiring.

The Haltech will need to be installed as a piggy back if you are swapping into an automatic Legacy with the stock ECU to run the CAN bus system. You maybe be able to wire the Haltech directly to the engine if you are swap swapping into a Manual N/A or Turbo Legacy but only the Haltech from what I have seen has the ability to accurately run the EZ36 and all of its functions. However if you do not care to operate the AVCS I be you would get the engine to run off the stock 4cyl ECUs id you just splice into the 1st and 2nd cyl injector and ignition wires to run the 5th and 6th cylinders.

So that’s what I got for now. I gotta do some fun stuff in the interior and finish my exhaust while I wait for the reflash stuff and I also will have all the codes read so you know which ones will need to be turned off if you do not run the AVCS on initial startup.

Ill post up more as I finish things up but I doubt I will swap the new manifold and tune for power till after the new year.

Drawings are going well if any of you are interested and I will prolly be starting the build thread for the MR2 shortly after I get the Lego running well enough to drive daily again.

Edited by Dead Mr.

She Runs! Big thanx to West_Minist for starting on the tune last night but she is working out of safe mode. Couple little issues initially but its to be expected I need to make sure everything is tight and working well and do a log for him as one side of the engine seems running a little differently then the other as far as readings go. So could be a manifold or header leak or maybe a tired O2 sensor.

More news as I have it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Bit of an update I have been driving the Lego and shes pretty great but being taking some time working out some little niggles before I get the tune all finished up.

I put some mufflers on her. Ordered new 02 sensors as one of them was a little weak but i wont see them till after the new year. Little tidy work in the engine bay and started making the jig to hold the intake manifold flanges in place during the final welding so I can swap it on for the final tune. I also ordered a coffin for the roof rack so she will be in full winter mode soon lol.

Anyways I wish I had more to report on the car but for now not so much.

However, I do have a little to report on the art front.

I finished another drawing. This one is prolly going to be the last car related one for a while as the next few drawings I need to do, do not have cars in them, but I thought some of you might like it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/anime/D32DFA5F-CF41-42F9-AF8B-4E2FD39D9BF5_zpsh2vjrr5m.jpg

I'm hoping maybe a few people will want to buy some prints of this one but the requester was happy so thats enough lol.

Happy Holidays I'll see you all in 2016.

Johann

Edited by Dead Mr.

• 3 months later...

Hey all. Ya it's been a while I know, but I have finally sorted out some more stuff with the Lego and gotten some more times to put the finishing touches on her.

Been driving her all this time and she's been working really well the integration of the EZ30 ecu on my EZ36 is almost flawless aside from the non-working avcs but the car can be tuned not to run it for power or I can at least install the intake side if I can figure it out. However first thing is first I have an intake manifold to finish.

I ended up getting an Odyssey 925 Battery which is a pretty good sized battery but isn't very tall and found that I can run it in the stock location and not have issues with my filters hitting the hood so that saved me a bunch of time.

The manifold still needed a lot of work to be finished so the first thing was to pull off the stock one and do a test fit before i finished welding it.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/DA975935-C58C-4B56-A85E-A10C3679F860_zpsgtb79esf.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/E77B4DF2-40EB-4DD5-8D3E-460997172427_zpsy88s88ck.jpg

Next was to start fabbing my forward cover.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/17BA89A2-5F71-49CB-9339-B0FA6E74C33E_zps6x4bejix.jpg

Then in stainless.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/25F78926-07D2-45DF-A083-04CDAFB790E7_zps9dd8mwix.jpg

Next was to locate all the vacuum ports and sensors because I wanted it to have all the capabilities of the stock manifold. I cut tubing of the flange off the EGR and just welded it to the manifold so i knew it would have a perfect surface for the sensor to seal. I will be cutting and reworking the tube from the head to the sensor input but that won't be too bad.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/AC0D3042-BDCD-4041-B920-3BCB6CFF95D2_zps4xnynpzy.jpg

and to finish out my weekend I finished up the pulley cover and made it a bolt on piece.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Lego%2030r/ACB7D427-9096-479E-BFB8-FB0554FF808A_zpsrreblvis.jpg

A couple spots I need to fill in, and I want to make a cover for the throttle body so once that's done the next step will be painting the inside of the manifold and then welding the top on so I can paint the outside and hopefully install for good.

Other than that she will be pretty much and most likely I am going to sell her to get a 2010-2011 Outback cuz I need more room but that's still up in the air. Depends on a couple other things regarding my art and the future I decide to take with that so if you guys want some portraits of your cars hit me up I'm looking for work.

If I do sell the Lego i will prolly sell her as is I think my buddy wants it but we will see. If I do sell it the new car will be betting some custom treatment don't you worry. Anyways I should have more progress next week to hopefully put this EZ36 swap to bed and get her tuned for good.

Later

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all I ordered 3 sets of flares in and I have 1 left if anybody wants them. Same ones I used on my lego and have sold to many other peeps on this forum in gloss black gellcoat.

PM me

P.S. I will have more updates of the Lego this weekend I'm hoping to have all the manifold fab finished up this weekend so I can paint it.

Also if anyone wants any car portraits done I'm looking for work and I'm dropping pricing so if you want anything PM me about that too.

Nobody reads this thread anymore.... lol

Johann