LegacyGT.com

H&R Coilovers vs Megan Racing Coilovers vs Tein Flex coilovers

Scottybue

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just daily driver? Consider better struts/shocks with better springs.

Bilsteins, Tokicos.

Or please just say you're absolutely made up your mind on getting coilovers.

KW or Megan depending on your budget... I might be a little biased though :icon_wink: :lol: Honestly though, I've had the Tein Flex's and do not feel that they are a good choice for a daily driver... just too harsh riding. I have no experience with the H&R's but I'd imagine that they would be similar to the KW's based on their German origin and similar construction.

The reason for coilovers is that I have wicked ass-squat in the back of the wagon with the ION springs I put on. I'm looking to get everything evened out. Also, I have too much bound and rebound when hitting bumps on the freeway. I view coilovers as the ideal since they're naturally mated with the springs and dampers. I don't want to run around trying to find an ideal ride height/ride with shocks to mate with the Ions (or another spring to et the ass back up). Finally, I was looking for the pillow ball tops in the front for the steering feedback. Thus... coilovers are the forerunners in my book. :icon_wink
now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

Reading through some of the posts here, I'm noticing people looking for more of a "grand touring" ride tend to prefer HKS or KW coilovers. This is what I'm looking for. I want performance and flat cornering with minimal dip and dive, but without giving the kid shaken-baby syndrome. :icon_eek:

Reading through some of the posts here, I'm noticing people looking for more of a "grand touring" ride tend to prefer HKS or KW coilovers. This is what I'm looking for. I want performance and flat cornering with minimal dip and dive, but without giving the kid shaken-baby syndrome. :icon_eek:

+1

:munch:

what about Megan....who's got'em and can give us thier review?

Paging BoostJunkie... paging BoostJunkie... Is there a BoostJunkie in the building?

BTW- HanGT, weren't you a big Ion proponent, too? Same drop issues? I love the handing, but the bounce and drop is too much.

Paging BoostJunkie... paging BoostJunkie... Is there a BoostJunkie in the building?

BTW- HanGT, weren't you a big Ion proponent, too? Same drop issues? I love the handing, but the bounce and drop is too much.

I have iON's and have enjoyed them for a little over 1 year. I have the sedan so my rears appear more level with the front. I think I'm just getting use to them. When I had them put on it was night and day compared to stock. Now with my RE92's wearing and getting use to just springs i want a bit more. I think when you mod your never 100% pleased permanently.

I'm here!:icon_cool I posted in this thread already. If you are looking for more of a grand touring ride, then the KW's would be your best bet. However, you did mention that you wanted pillowballs up front, which the KW's do not have. Really, IMHO the good "GT style" coilovers do not have pillowballs because of the additional NVH that they naturally transmit. The HKS LS+ use rubber isolated upper mounts as well... no pillowballs. I've had coilovers with pillowballs and without, and I did not notice much of a difference in steering feel.

The MR's are a fantastic value for the money, you will not be disappointed with them. However, if your budget permits and you want as smooth riding a coilover as possible, I would say that the KW's would be a slightle better fit for you.

+1 for KW's

Don't know where the ride height concerrns are from? You can just about get to stock height I think (plenty of adjustment left on mine). Unless you saw them on Boostjunkies car and got confused with his slammed nature. :icon_wink

+1 for KW's

Don't know where the ride height concerrns are from? You can just about get to stock height I think (plenty of adjustment left on mine). Unless you saw them on Boostjunkies car and got confused with his slammed nature. :icon_wink

:lol::lol::lol: The pics of my car that are floating around right now are on the MR coilovers and setup LOW! With both the MR and KW's you can get pretty close to the stock ride height in the rear and stock height in the front.

+1 for KW's

:orly: KW official specs say the min. drop in front is 1.4" and 0.8" in rear.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_Products/60_Product_Finder/index.php?modell_1=Legacy&level=3&hersteller_1=SUBARU&gruppe=all&zeile=2

Min KW drop 1.4" front? I'm sitting at that right now, and that's about as low as I want... Also, what is the opinion out there on the reliability/ease of rebuildability of MRs, KW's, HKS, or H&R? Rankings anyone? H&R's are known for the smooth performance aspect, right?

Min KW drop 1.4" front? I'm sitting at that right now, and that's about as low as I want... Also, what is the opinion out there on the reliability/ease of rebuildability of MRs, KW's, HKS, or H&R? Rankings anyone? H&R's are known for the smooth performance aspect, right?

In Boostjunkie's thread about the MR's. They should be good for 45K before a rebuild is needed. Plus, MR sends you a set of struts while yours are being rebuilt...I hear some do not do this...so your car is down and out until you get them back.

BTW the KW's have a lifetime warranty. If you ever need a rebuild you send them in, they rebuild them and send them back. No charge except shipping.

You can set the KW's at a very reasonable height. You can slam the car, or have about a 1" drop. I don't know why they claim a 1.4" drop as being the highest they can be set, as I've had my car set higher than that when I had the KW's.

As for the MR's, I'm sure some of my customers will post up, but feel free to search and I'm sure you will turn up the info you are looking for. I have a review from one customer (mickeyd2005) posted in my ad for the coilovers in the vendor classifieds. I think it was a very even and candid review. Thanks mickeyd2005!

I looked up the H&R's and they are constructed similarly to the KW's (SS bodies and they reuse the stock top hats) but they appear to not have adjustable dampening. Only their PCS systems have adjustable dampening and that series is not available for our application. So with the H&R's it appears to be that you are getting something more similar to a KW Variant 1, for about the same money (or more) than the higher model KW Variant 2's that I have available.

BTW the KW's have a lifetime warranty. If you ever need a rebuild you send them in, they rebuild them and send them back. No charge except shipping.

You can set the KW's at a very reasonable height. You can slam the car, or have about a 1" drop. I don't know why they claim a 1.4" drop as being the highest they can be set, as I've had my car set higher than that when I had the KW's.

Can KWs be rebuilt in the USA?

Are you postively sure of only 1" drop with KWs? Do you have any pics of your car when you had them on?

Archived