LegacyGT.com

2015 Legacy Gas/CO2 smell inside

Hi everyone

Every time I drive the car, every 5-10 min a really strong gas/CO2 smell enters the cabin from the vents, even if the AC/climate control is off

Anyone have this issue?

No.. thats a New one.. Have you heard a possible exhaust leak?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm confused. CO2 is an odorless gas. Do you mean an exhaust gas smell, or something else? Does it occur only when you're sitting still or while moving? Did this just start, or has it always done it? Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I smelled rotten eggs in my 2015 2.5 toward the end of it's time with me, on multiple occasions. HVAC was off and recirc was closed (no fresh air) and windows were up, highway driving.

Rotten egg smell could be from your battery.

That's a new one, never heard that before... I assume it was the catalytic converter.

Sulfuric acid. It can come either from the catalytic converter (most common, due to trace amounts of sulfur in the fuel) or from the battery (due to leakage or overcharging).

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Sulfuric acid. It can come either from the catalytic converter (most common, due to trace amounts of sulfur in the fuel) or from the battery (due to leakage or overcharging).

Makes sense to me, just never had an issue with a battery in my life, so never connected that smell to a battery. Good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply guys and I didn’t mean to write C02 lol

So sulphuric acid smell is like a rotten eggs smell, this doesn’t smell anything like that. It smells like fumes, like maybe exhaust fumes.

The car started burning oil a little bit, acceptable amount but problem has been going even before that.

I’m thinking a leak in the catalyst converter or exhaust, I have a 2 year old and it’s starting to bother me so I’m going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow. The battery is old it could also be leaking as well

Couple of things to check - see if there is a plastic bag or something melting away on the exhaust (road junk sometimes gets onto the exhaust, where it will gradually char away and stink - usually like burning plastic). If it's a burnt oil like smell, look at the typical leak points (valve cover gaskets, etc). If you think it's exhaust, listen for an exhaust leak under the hood - you can have someone block the tailpipe briefly to exacerbate the sound.

An exhaust leak is going to result in exhaust getting sucked into the fresh air intake, so it would smell. Batteries don't typically smell unless something is wrong - the rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulfide, which you can get if the sulfuric is reacting with something - won't normally do it on it's own. (even when a battery is getting overcharged, the bubbles are mostly oxygen and hydrogen, though there will be some H2S) - the other rotten egg smell which is more common is from poor quality (high sulfur) gas being burnt off in the catalytic converter - usually you notice that from someone driving in front of your car (smells like body odor until it gets more concentrated)