LegacyGT.com

2016 Legacy w/83k miles - jerky driving at low throttle

Hi everyone, the past several months I've noticed a jerkiness/judder pretty constantly when driving at all speeds, particularly with low throttle (1500 RPM - 2000 RPM). There have also been some instances of jerkiness when accelerating from a stop.

I've taken it to the dealer twice for this issue, 2 different dealers, and they've both said they think the car functions as it should. With COVID, the tech's have to take the car out alone which makes sense, but also doesn't allow me to show when the car acts up when driving.

The most recent dealer also said that it appeared the drain plug on the CVT had been tampered with, I presume because there was some wear around the star plug. I got this car used with 58k miles on it, and in the CarFax it states that the transmission was serviced at 30k miles at a Subaru dealer. I assume this means the fluid was drained and filled.

So yesterday when I had some time, I took a look under my car to see if I could see what they were talking about, and I noticed this fluid leak on the CVT on the bottom pan.

IMG-5709.jpg

I need to jack up the car today and check out the drain plug, but I'm surprised neither dealer mentioned the fluid leak on the CVT as part of the diagnosis? Doesn't appear to be a big leak, but given my symptoms and when the CVT was serviced by the previous owner, it gives me some concern.

How should I approach this? The latest dealer's stance was that since it appeared the drain plug was tampered with, they could only do a drain and fill to see how low, if at all, the CVT fluid is and then go from there.

Did the previous owner do the service or did he have it serviced?

Have the dealer drain and refill before the issue worsens.

A local Subaru dealer did the service.

The way the dealer I saw framed it, was that if they did a drain and fill and found it low on fluid, they’d note it and deny any sort of warranty claim for the CVT. All though, when I was there I didn’t know the CVT servicing by the previous owner, and wasn’t aware of the leak on the bottom CVT pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... if they did a drain and fill and found it low on fluid ...
Find another dealer. "Drain and fill" is not the correct way to check CVT fluid level. All that's required is removing the fill plug when the fluid is within a specified temperature range. (Source: Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual) Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Find another dealer. "Drain and fill" is not the correct way to check CVT fluid level. All that's required is removing the fill plug. (Source: Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual)

I know! I checked the service manual when I got home and saw that. These people man

So, dealer #1 did the first change and dealer #2 is saying they’re going to void your warranty if dealer #1 botched the job? Unreal!

Good luck to dealer #2, I say! Idiots!

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

So, dealer #1 did the first change and dealer #2 is saying they’re going to void your warranty if dealer #1 botched the job? Unreal!

Good luck to dealer #2, I say! Idiots!

So the previous owner had the CVT fluid changed at another Subaru dealer, it’s in the CARFAX. I could call and see if they have a more detailed summary, but transmission serviced I take to mean drain and fill.

Took my car to dealer #1 last month, had to leave it overnight, tech went out solo due to covid and they said it functions normal.

When driving home, it still had jerkiness and judder, so I went to a closer dealer (dealer #2).

I’m personally not a fan of dealer 2, my old car it took them 3 times to recreate a squeaky seat for warranty, and they botched my short block replacement, but alas. This is the dealer that didn’t even describe the correct procedure for checking the fluid level in the CVT [emoji854]

• 2 weeks later...

Short update. Contacted SOA and they’ve agreed to cover 2 hours worth of diagnosis at the dealer, so I’m taking her in next Wednesday.

SOA also contacted the dealer the previous owner went to, apparently transmission serviced = front diff fluid changed, so the CVT fluid has never been changed or tampered with. Still have no clue what plug they noted looked to be tampered with