LegacyGT.com

Who's in MA?

Billy Dagwood

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick thought, now that some of our cars are 15 years old (and by next time they are inspected, 16) does that mean we are emissions exempt? In July, my car didn't have emissions done, only safety. And if emissions is checked is it just OBDII or tail pipe? I am new to Mass so not too familiar with the laws

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Quick thought, now that some of our cars are 15 years old (and by next time they are inspected, 16) does that mean we are emissions exempt? In July, my car didn't have emissions done, only safety. And if emissions is checked is it just OBDII or tail pipe? I am new to Mass so not too familiar with the laws

OBDII and safety. Rolling 15 years on emissions however I believe you can't remove emission equipment such as a cat.. You can Google RMV Mass for more info..

Ray

So as a general rule in MA:

15 years old (current calendar year - model year) then you dont need emmissions test, just saftey

The test is performed via ODBII anyway

The car cannot VISUALLY have any issues though (AKA if the inspector happens to look under your car and notice NO cat, then it can still fail, or if the car is visibly smoking, it can still fail)

A lot of passing saftey comes down to the inspector as well. Some inspectors will fail for being lowered, after market exhaust, or visual mods that can impede saftey. These do not fall under "emissions" and actual fall under either saftey or general law which there is not time limit on.

So as a general rule in MA:

15 years old (current calendar year - model year) then you dont need emmissions test, just saftey

The test is performed via ODBII anyway

The car cannot VISUALLY have any issues though (AKA if the inspector happens to look under your car and notice NO cat, then it can still fail, or if the car is visibly smoking, it can still fail)

A lot of passing saftey comes down to the inspector as well. Some inspectors will fail for being lowered, after market exhaust, or visual mods that can impede saftey. These do not fall under "emissions" and actual fall under either saftey or general law which there is not time limit on.

Couldn't have said it better. My 05 is exempt from emission testing. Supposedly they even have microphones to hear how loud a car is. Thankfully the people I go to take care of me.

Warlock, where in BW are you. I'm in town every day, and I work for A1 out of WB. I'm one of the tow drivers..

Scotty

Couldn't have said it better. My 05 is exempt from emission testing. Supposedly they even have microphones to hear how loud a car is. Thankfully the people I go to take care of me.

Warlock, where in BW are you. I'm in town every day, and I work for A1 out of WB. I'm one of the tow drivers..

Scotty

Ha, I know A1. I work at the town hall / Police / fire department for the town of Bridgewater. I am currently in the process of closing on a house over on Flagg st. My daily driver is a dark grey honda clarity, if you drive by town hall and see it plugged in to the chargers over on the bedford st parking lot, thats me haha.

Ha, I know A1. I work at the town hall / Police / fire department for the town of Bridgewater. I am currently in the process of closing on a house over on Flagg st. My daily driver is a dark grey honda clarity, if you drive by town hall and see it plugged in to the chargers over on the bedford st parking lot, thats me haha.
No kidding. My daily is my 05 LGT. It's usually seen around town either before 7a or after 5p. There are 2 bronze colored LGT cars in the area. Both are 08/09 5eat cars. One is on MassSubaru, the other guy I can't remember where in town he lives. I've towed that one to a shop out in East BW..

Scotty

Scotty and Warlock, thank you for the info. I was just curious how in depth they go. I'm from PA and for safety they actually put the car on the lift and wheels off, but emissions is just OBDII. I thought Mass was more strict but doesn't sound like it.

I live in Marlborough now but work in Mansfield. I am still getting my bearings around here

Steering Rack Rebuild

Scotty and Warlock, thank you for the info. I was just curious how in depth they go. I'm from PA and for safety they actually put the car on the lift and wheels off, but emissions is just OBDII. I thought Mass was more strict but doesn't sound like it.

I live in Marlborough now but work in Mansfield. I am still getting my bearings around here

Haha yeah i have NEVER seen an inspection go that far here in MA (with exception of the state inspectors when your car gets red flagged, THEY tear through the car.) Do not ever get red flagged lol, you might as well consider the car a track only car once that happens.

No kidding. My daily is my 05 LGT. It's usually seen around town either before 7a or after 5p. There are 2 bronze colored LGT cars in the area. Both are 08/09 5eat cars. One is on MassSubaru, the other guy I can't remember where in town he lives. I've towed that one to a shop out in East BW..

Scotty

Haha well maybe now that my car is going to be running soon and it will be back up in the area you may see it around. I havent been to car meets in years, maybe there will be some up in our area soon. All of us can meet up some time.

Right now my car is down at my buddys shop in Westport completing another motor swap (last motor had 2200 miles on it and the oil pump failed :/.) So now I got 2 built motors, one in the car and 1 on the stand with a rod knock.

Pennsylvania goes full bore on their inspections.. Massachusetts is supposed to do an "indepth" look at the entire car, like jack up all 4 corners, and actually check the entire suspension of the whole car.. i can assure you, that hardly anyone does that... my brother lived in PA for a few years. I don't know how he did it TBH..

Scotty

My experience of owning a shit box while living in PA proved not difficult to pass inspection, literally it's actual safety stuff if the shop cares. Of course there are shops that will lick it and stick it. Emissions is a joke in PA (just OBDII readiness) and OBDI they did sniff but now most are 20+ years old so emissions exempt by now. I just need to figure out all the tricks with Mass.

And I am not much of a subaru car meet person...mostly because I am not a huge fan of the typical impreza crowd but I'd be game to have some sort of meet up with people from on here. My car too is about to be engine-less while I do the clutch and other things. Mid fall I'll be good to go!

Steering Rack Rebuild

Im out of the South Shore, I feel the same about some Subaru crowds. I have to start finding a contractor to see the cost of building a 2 car garage, convinced the wife its a smart move so I can get a car lift :D. Hopefully I can afford this

My experience of owning a shit box while living in PA proved not difficult to pass inspection, literally it's actual safety stuff if the shop cares. Of course there are shops that will lick it and stick it. Emissions is a joke in PA (just OBDII readiness) and OBDI they did sniff but now most are 20+ years old so emissions exempt by now. I just need to figure out all the tricks with Mass.

And I am not much of a subaru car meet person...mostly because I am not a huge fan of the typical impreza crowd but I'd be game to have some sort of meet up with people from on here. My car too is about to be engine-less while I do the clutch and other things. Mid fall I'll be good to go!

The trick with mass inspections is simple. Make sure the car is stock appearing. If you have an exhaust, don't have it too loud. If its lowered, make sure it's not dropped to the ground with all of that negative camber/stance. CEL had to be off and readiness monitors have to be set/ready before test. Catalyst and or Evap readiness monitors have to be seat ot ready. You can have up to 1 other monitor not set/ready. The tuners around here know this and can tune the car for it.

I don't mind the local Subaru crowd here. I tend to gravitate towards actual enthusiasts, not the kid/know it alls that seems the norm. Obviously you can tell who's who and know whom to listen too.

Scotty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
October 11th (Sunday after next). You need to buy tickets in advance though from their website as I am told they only allow only so many people in total at the track that day. I will have my Spec B there entering in (most likely) bracket racing.

• 1 month later...
October 11th (Sunday after next). You need to buy tickets in advance though from their website as I am told they only allow only so many people in total at the track that day. I will have my Spec B there entering in (most likely) bracket racing.
Did I see you today near Rt.104 by the center of town?

Scotty

Ha! Yes, too funny. I looked at your tow truck as you drove by and I thought I wonder if that is the guy from the forum.
Yeah.. I'm very observant when it comes to cars. In my line of work, it helps tremendously. Besides, there aren't many 08-09 LGTs in the area, especially silver ones. Out of curiosity, were you towed off the highway to Middleboro around a year ago? My coworker towed one.

Scotty

Yeah.. I'm very observant when it comes to cars. In my line of work, it helps tremendously. Besides, there aren't many 08-09 LGTs in the area, especially silver ones. Out of curiosity, were you towed off the highway to Middleboro around a year ago? My coworker towed one.

Scotty

Yup, that was me as well. Skipped timing while on the highway, car wouldnt start after that. Then shortly after that, the oil pump siezed and spun a rod bearing. She has a new motor in her now (again.....).

My Legacy is officially off the road until spring now though. Ill be driving my Honda around until then.

• 4 months later...