LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Wagon vs Sedan

Zidgel

Wagon VS Sedan  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Wagon VS Sedan

• Wagon
    • Sedan

I'm looking to buy my first Subaru and can't decided between the Legacy GT wagon or sedan. After borrowing my parents Outback I've grown to love the room that a wagon has to offer. Problem with the wagons is that where I live they are rare and about 2-4k more than the sedans. I plan on going camping, hiking and shooting in it. I guess what I'm asking is the wagon worth the extra money or do I just go with the sedan?

There are many other sporty sedans that have been sold in the US with similar attributes to the Legacy. Arguably many are even better cars than the Legacy.

Wagons? Not so much. You have this, German, or Swedish. There is a reason the wagon cost a lot more.

Wagon ftw but keep it mind it will be tougher to find a decent example as they're more rarer and like you mentioned there is the price premium. Love the practicality of mine so the extra money as worth it for me

If you like to do outdoorsy type stuff then get you a turbo outback. Still plenty of balls and lots of storage space, plus some offroad capability. The GT wagon will have the same amount of room and looks like the same just lower and smaller foglights etc, but you lose the utilitarian aspect of it, and you now just have a bigger car with no real advantage except cargo space. But having a sporty car isn't about cargo space. If you really want the GT, get a sedan. If you're dead set on a wagon, get an outback. That's probably the whole reason they stopped making legacy wagons. Nothing wrong with wagons, I got my wife an '08 outback (n/a, she would hurt herself with a turbo) and love driving it, I just think it goes against the whole point of buying a GT is all I'm saying.

• I Donated Too

I owned a sedan for years... still have it, completely modded it, new paint, looks new but no one cares, no one see's the sedan or gives me thumbs up or waves.

I bought a wagon a few years ago too. EVERYONE loves the wagon, lots of waves, peace signs from WRX owners and thumbs up from VW owners, why I don't know but there you go. The wagon is clearly superior despite being stock*

*kind of.

• 3 weeks later...
no one see's the sedan or gives me thumbs up or waves.

I bought a wagon a few years ago too. EVERYONE loves the wagon, lots of waves, peace signs from WRX owners and thumbs up from VW owners, why I don't know but there you go.

Xactly why I'm plenty happy to own a Legacy GT, especially one with no mudflaps. I'm glad "everyone" doesn't give my car attention. Two types of people I don't need approval from lmao.

Heh, FWIW cops don't seem to notice it either, just a black sedan. I had one instance when I first got my car and let's just say there may or may not have been an accidental radar flyby well into the triple digit territory... pulled a real quick U turn as soon as I was out of sight, switched the fogs off, and drove right by mr officer who was in hot pursuit with a ghost like I was just another car...

<<< name says it all, at least 4 me.

I recently purchased my first Subaru - 2005 LGT wagon. I started shopping for a sportyish wagon with a few brands/models in mind. Price, mileage, and dependability were the main considerations, but having something just a little different than the herd was important too. The Legacy wagon provides the room I was looking for and the GT helps me move through highway traffic safely, smoothly, and confidently. I seriously considered Outback XT, but ended up going with LGT because I will likely never require this car to be off of pavement.

Happy shopping!!!

In your situation I agree with one of the posters above, get an outback xt. If you're camping, odds are you want a little ground clearance. The legacy, sedan or wagon, is going to be pretty low to the ground.

I'm into the same stuff, but we just went with a 4Runner with a small lift that gets us anywhere we need to go. The Legacy is the around town, small road trip, fun car.

But that's just us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a sedan for years before I finally found my wagon.

Loved my sedan. But I love my wagon exponentially more. I'll never be without a wagon again.

It's lowered, but I still use it for everything. I make dump runs with it, tow my bike with it, go camping, long road trips.... only thing I can't do is go on REALLY rough roads, out into the middle of the woods..

There is nothing that a sedan can do, that a wagon can't do better... people who choose a sedan almost always base it off some subjective taste in body lines.. they never choose a sedan for logical reasons.

Long story short, pay extra for a wagon. Wether it's a legacy. Or an outback.. you won't regret it.

http://i.imgur.com/v18nzn1.jpg

people who choose a sedan almost always base it off some subjective taste in body lines.. they never choose a sedan for logical reasons.

My logic for wanting a sedan was that I don't need a GT wagon, I have a Suburban and my wife's Outback. For my fun turbo car I wanted something that looked cool too. Station wagons do not look cool IMO (and many people's opinion). I don't need cargo space, there's never even anything in my trunk (except an ice scraper, armor-all, and spray detailer). So based on that logic getting a wagon would just land me in a car that I didn't like looking at with zero benefit. There is nothing I use my sedan for that I would ever need a wagon for. I wanted a fun little sedan but I am not a fan of the WRX, so I got the car that looks sleeker and has a bigger engine, all without being lumped into that whole yeah bro douche WRX culture.

I totally understand how using a wagon is better for camping and that kind of stuff, and that is exactly the market segment Subaru aims the Outback at. Dependable, rugged, useful cargo space, and hell if you like to go fast they have a 2.5 turbo option in those too.

The reason the wagons are more rare is because not a lot of people bought them when new, because not a lot of people wanted them. It's a very niche thing. If that's what you're into then I'm glad you found one you're happy with, but stop acting like people who don't want a wagon are confused or something. They no longer make legacy wagons, and there aren't even that many station wagons available on the market today from other automakers. And usually the people who are looking for a wagon would rather have a car like an outback than something low to the ground, because logically it makes more sense.

The reason the wagons are more rare is because not a lot of people bought them when new, because not a lot of people wanted them. It's a very niche thing. If that's what you're into then I'm glad you found one you're happy with, but stop acting like people who don't want a wagon are confused or something. They no longer make legacy wagons, and there aren't even that many station wagons available on the market today from other automakers. And usually the people who are looking for a wagon would rather have a car like an outback than something low to the ground, because logically it makes more sense.

It seems like hatchbacks are somewhat making a come back in the marketplace. After Honda abandoned the Civic hatchback for a good decade, they’re finally making a civic with a hatchback again. Same thing with the Corolla now. They’re added a 5 door to their line up. Now we just need Subaru to get their shit together and offer a proper 5 door turbo car again. Until then, this will be my first and last Subaru.

Archived