LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy gt limited boost issue maybe wastegate

My 05 Legacy gt stock turbo spt intake stock intercooler and ductwork, now the problem was merging onto highway and after I let off the throttle there was aa loud pop sounding like when a hose blows off the radiator so I pull over and check nothing leaking no hoses disconnected but the car smells and is not idling right get back in and continue to bring the car home won't make more then 5 psi boost under 3500 rpm will climb to 8 psi around 4000 to 4500 then tappers off figured must be a vacuum hose check in the morning

Next day idling better still don't see any disconnected hoses but same problem still doesn't want to make boost. Later that day going back home boost is back but then climbs to 19 psi and I let off the throttle because it always stopped at 14 before. Then after that again does not want to make boost max 5 psi under 3500 rpm 9 to 10 around 4500 rpm

What could cause this going from not wanting to .make boost to over boost and what could have been that pop the other night. Thanks for all the help in advance

PS factory tune

It sounds to me like a sticking wastegate or actuator where the boost issue is concerned. As for the idle, there are a lot of hidden vacuum lines. Take off your intercooler and check for the T underneath. That one is notorious.

Quick4dr I did check that one it was fine thanks anyway, also thanks joeleodee the idle seamed to fix itself but I took off the intercooler and ziptied those lines on that tee you mentioned to be safe

Also I had someone watch the actuator today when I reved the engine and they said it was not moving is there anyway to free that up or is it time for a new turbo. Thanks again

Quick4dr I did check that one it was fine thanks anyway, also thanks joeleodee the idle seamed to fix itself but I took off the intercooler and ziptied those lines on that tee you mentioned to be safe

Also I had someone watch the actuator today when I reved the engine and they said it was not moving is there anyway to free that up or is it time for a new turbo. Thanks again

You're not really building enough boost for it to actually open sitting still. But you are over boosting and that's not healthy on the stock tune. Check all the vac and boost lines, if you can get it smoke tested do so. How are your a/f looking If its not a loose hose its more then likely the waste gate which might have exploded open. Best way to check turbo is to remove the down pipe and check the waste gate movement and turbine blade for play.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

A WG isn't going to cause a pop nor affect idle. And you aren't going to build boost revving the engine sitting still, it take load.

Problems don't fix themselves. The fact you have an '05 LGT that hadn't already had tipties on that T speaks volumes for your (lack of) understanding of your car. There are too many threads to count that spell out the common preventive measures you need to make. My advice is to park your car, take whatever time it takes and do them... and in that process you should find your issue.

EDIT

Furthermore, a turbo doesn't overboost if it's bad, only if the WG isn't controlled. At 20psi your VF40 is a flamethrower intent on melting your pistons. Don't drive the car until you find the problem. By this time all your vacuum/boost hoses are suspect, cracking, and need replaced. You have a lot of work to do... or else.

OK upon further investigation this is what I found all the vacuum lines seem to be in good order I did find a tear in the inlet pipe before the turbo under the spider I also removed the actuator arm from the wastegate an tried to move the wastegate tab and it took a considerable amount of force for it to turn then freed up a bit but still doesn't move smoothly also the tab was pointing toward the rear of the car would that not be the open position

From what I read that tab should move freely with little resistance with the actuator disconnected and mine does not

Thank you everyone for your help I believe my problems to be that tear in the inlet hose and binding wastgate, so i figure I should just get a new turbo since this one has 150000 miles on it anyway. Again thank you all

OK upon further investigation this is what I found all the vacuum lines seem to be in good order I did find a tear in the inlet pipe before the turbo under the spider I also removed the actuator arm from the wastegate an tried to move the wastegate tab and it took a considerable amount of force for it to turn then freed up a bit but still doesn't move smoothly also the tab was pointing toward the rear of the car would that not be the open position

Do you mean the plug on the turbo hot side? It should move freely

From what I read that tab should move freely with little resistance with the actuator disconnected and mine does not

Thank you everyone for your help I believe my problems to be that tear in the inlet hose and binding wastgate, so i figure I should just get a new turbo since this one has 150000 miles on it anyway. Again thank you all

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Sounds like you have this under control. Replacing the turbo and inlet at the same time makes sense.

Glad your hoses are all good, but at this age if they haven't already been replaced they're still a future reliability suspect. And clamp or ziptie everything, of course, and don't forget to ziptie the one to your FPR/intake nipple as well. If/when replacing hoses keep your pill in the correct hose.

Also, can we assume you've already removed the filter in the banjo bolt? This is a good time to check that, too, just to make sure... have fresh copper seals on hand and torque carefully.

That said, the tear is on the intake side and while definitely a cause of issues I still don't see it accounting for a "pop." That's more often an issue on the pressurized side. Pay special attention to the TMIC to throttle body hose... especially the rubber on its ends. That rubber collar/seal has been an issue for many.

Good luck, keep up the fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello out there

I got a Legacy Gt 2005 with only 125000k The turbo fail and it was rebuilt, it work for another 100kms and then no power, The car stars and run and revs ok but no turbo, No check engine, a mechanic read all data form the car's computer and found nothing , all normal Engine off and on , Any suggestions?, New to this forum, I do not now haw to open a new tread

Archived