LegacyGT.com

Is Osram still the best non-HID bulb?

Stick with the Osrams. While I love the HIDs in the new '16 FXT, that only extends to dry conditions. When it's wet & crappy, the color temp is all wrong and I can't see for squat, unlike with the Osrams I had in the LGT.

The OEM low beam LEDs I have in my Outback are great.

453747.png

A few reasons why your halogen projectors aren't good with halogen bulb:

- Hazing of headlight lenses, make sure they're optically clear. This is probably the main contributor.

- Burnt bowls, usually from putting in cheap bulbs or HID kits (UV rays pew pews the reflective bits)

- Bulb not getting full voltage, deterioration of wires/contacts, our cars shouldn't have this problem yet though

Just remember, bright light in front of your bumper (foreground) doesn't mean "better", unless all you do is drive around in car parks.

Off topic, Don't you Americans get pulled over by coppers because of glare-tastic headlights? Or is that allowed in the DOT standards?

Off topic, Don't you Americans get pulled over by coppers because of glare-tastic headlights? Or is that allowed in the DOT standards?

Depends on local laws. Some State have inspections and laws about "color". Where I live there isn't any so you have the ricer tards with pink, green, blue, and yellow headlights and a little rat dog sitting on their lap but OMG you'd better have a front license plate or its ticket time.

4300-4500k 35w is ideal for us, and a HID H7 bulb's ignite point is very close to a H7 halogen bulb, that's why most people have no issue with HID in our specific headlight. In most cases, HID in halogen projector usually comes out bad, but that's not the case for us at all. I've had 4300k HID H7 for a long time before retrofitting HID projectors. If you don't care so much for things like cut-off and perfectionist lightning stuff, you can run normal HID in our OE halogen projector just fine.

Btw, high powered LED bulbs are usually pretty ideal when used as fog lights (lower powered ones) and high beam (high power LEDs), but not low beams unless you are willing to retrofit LED projectors. Gotta be able to control the light pattern. Most I've seen, you'll get a very focused center that also creates a ton of glare and not too much width. That's why most OEM type LED lows usually comes with multiple LED projectors per side.

I recently ditched my Morimoto XB LED foglights which had terrible output pattern and throw, and I reinstalled the OEM fog lamps and put in these 3000K Samsung dual-COB type LEDs that put out 1800 lumens per bulb. I also added Morimoto's new 2stroke LED lights to replace the DRL/High beams. Although the 2stroke's design and adjustability could be better, at 5000 lumens per bulb, they've officially replaced my previous DRL-only led "bulbs".

2stroke's 5000 lumen highs + bi-xenon HIDs, my total high beam output is estimated around 17,000 lumens.

I have been using Osram 65W bulb on mine for the last six year, the current ones are reaching the end of life soon, just want to see if there is any new development with non-HID bulbs before I order another set of Osram.

Are you saying the same set of Osram 65w bulbs lasted 6 years and performed well? If so, order another set!

I recently ditched my Morimoto XB LED foglights which had terrible output pattern and throw, and I reinstalled the OEM fog lamps and put in these 3000K Samsung dual-COB type LEDs that put out 1800 lumens per bulb.

...any info or link for those bulbs?

• 2 weeks later...
4300-4500k 35w is ideal for us, and a HID H7 bulb's ignite point is very close to a H7 halogen bulb, that's why most people have no issue with HID in our specific headlight. In most cases, HID in halogen projector usually comes out bad, but that's not the case for us at all. I've had 4300k HID H7 for a long time before retrofitting HID projectors. If you don't care so much for things like cut-off and perfectionist lightning stuff, you can run normal HID in our OE halogen projector just fine.

This is true.

I installed Morimoto 35w HID kit in my 2011 Outback and it worked beautifully. Because of horror stories about glare, "squirrel spotters", and oncoming traffic, I did extensive "real world" testing, comparing both halogen to HID twice. I did both following and oncoming tests - and found absolutely no perceptible change or danger to other motorists. The projectors in our cars are pretty good compared to some others out there. I ran my setup from late 2012 to present day, but just sold the car last weekend.

The improvement I experienced as the driver was amazing.

Archived