LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

My Google fu is apparently lacking. Any chance you got a link?

If it’s these they do appear different but may work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Outback-XT-Radio-Stereo-Bracket-Set-LH-RH-Brackets-/183162898771

Those are the ones.

The brackets in your picture have one extra tab in the back, I'm not sure what that might be used for.

The other two tabs on each bracket are what is used to screw to the dash.

Someone who has done the install can probably confirm if they have been able to use the stock brackets.

When I was starting Subenwagen's rebuild, the local Navy and AF bases both had bays with the lifts, alignment racks, tire remover and balancers, hydraulic presses, specialty tools, including cutting torches. Bays and tool rentals, together, were $5.00/hr, so you could start at 0800 and work until 2100. You could get alot done for $55 and 11 straight hours of uninterrupted bliss.

One of the reasons the rebuild has lagged so long is I packed it all on a trailer and moved everything 200 miles from an easily accessible lift. :(

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sitting in the garage watching the 2 post lift getting installed. Looking forward to standing up to work on the wagon.

Might have to rent it out for 1 day jobs. :-)

What's the floor thickness required for lift? Does the floor need to be strengthened specifically for the lift?

Were you a little closer I might have taken you up on your offer ;)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Those are the ones.

The brackets in your picture have one extra tab in the back, I'm not sure what that might be used for.

The other two tabs on each bracket are what is used to screw to the dash.

Someone who has done the install can probably confirm if they have been able to use the stock brackets.

I just received my JDM double-DIN set last night, didn't even look at it yet. Gabo I can certainly compare the brackets tonight as I have my old stock stereo on the shelf as well.

When I was starting Subenwagen's rebuild, the local Navy and AF bases both had bays with the lifts, alignment racks, tire remover and balancers, hydraulic presses, specialty tools, including cutting torches. Bays and tool rentals, together, were $5.00/hr, so you could start at 0800 and work until 2100. You could get alot done for $55 and 11 straight hours of uninterrupted bliss.

One of the reasons the rebuild has lagged so long is I packed it all on a trailer and moved everything 200 miles from an easily accessible lift. :(

My 1970 340 Duster spent four day's in the Pease AFB NH auto hobby shop in 1974 when I rebuilt the engine. The engine had decreasing oil pressure. I found the rear main journal on the crank had developed a groove about a 1/4" wide. After the rebuild, I drove that car for another 9 years. I would have been done in 3 day's but didn't realize I had to open the choke plate on the carburetor to start the engine on the evening of the 3rd day. Engine spun over well but wouldn't fire up.

After a good nights sleep I went back the next morning, opened the hood saw the choke plate closed, duh, pushed it open, the engine started right up.

Funny how some memories you never forget and yet they are so well remembered. I can still picture the shop and most everything that happened during that time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This last spring I interviewed for a part time position at a local shop, basically with the hope of gaining the owners trust enough to let me in after hours to work on my own cars. Small paycheck would have been secondary.

Ordered up the i88 harness for the new stereo. Also saw that my BL Quickjacks are in and ready for pick up. Wish I had room for a proper lift.

Anybody by chance know where I could get these brackets? My double din kit seems to be lacking them. May have to just fab a set that'll work.

48546425787_bdede95f7d_o.jpg

I looked at one of my DD sets last night and there isn't a part number on these.

Just LH vs RH designation. I don't have the factory radio brackets for comparison though.

Took a few more wot logs to dial in the EBCS. Replaced a good majority of the all the vacuum lines with silicone when I threw the EBCS on...pain in the ass.

In other news, renewed my registration and excited for the new plate to come in. Current plate is LEGYGT and I got too many people coming up and asking "legit?". New one is EJ25X and will go well the F20 I have for the S2k.

I looked at one of my DD sets last night and there isn't a part number on these.

Just LH vs RH designation. I don't have the factory radio brackets for comparison though.

I garner you have multiple sets from this post... want to sell me a pair of the brackets?

I use this place in SoCal:

https://urdreamgarage.com/

It's great, the guy who runs it is awesome, and knowledgable available to lend a hand when needed. I just buy hours in bulk and use them until they are up. I bring my own tools, rags, brake cleaner, etc. I mostly just use the place for their lift and their press. But they have a full set of tools, air, and random pullers and stuff. You can have parts delivered there if you arrange it with them ahead of time, and you can store your car there overnight if you get stuck. People do engine swaps there and bigger builds. It's great!

The only thing about it is that if you're going to use it to fix or install something, you have to make sure you have everything you need when you get there. No leaving the car on jackstands while you run to the store to grab something, or if you have to order a different part. And you have to make sure you can drive out when you're done. It's about 40 mins from my house, so if I forgot something at home, it's a looong way to limp back. For example, I would have loved to have done my valve cover gaskets on the lift, but the silicone take some time to cure, so I just did it at home.

For DIYers on RI/Southern Mass this place could be of help:

http://www.gearheadri.com/

Haven't used them yet myself but heard about them on the radio.

I just check out the website. Sounds awesome, however, I'd have to inquire about vehicle/project car storage. I mean... some jobs are gonna take a day or 2.

However, it's not far from me, I wonder how long the business will last.....

Scotty

Got the STI genome mated to my 3inch exhaust. Sounds glorious except the numb nuts at the exhaust shop installed the mufflers upside down, rather the side with the STI genome label is on the wrong side and facing the wrong way. Shop is closed until Monday which is when they will be receiving a nice message about my opinion on their services. Didn’t see the mistake until I parked at home.

Got the STI genome mated to my 3inch exhaust. Sounds glorious except the numb nuts at the exhaust shop installed the mufflers upside down, rather the side with the STI genome label is on the wrong side and facing the wrong way. Shop is closed until Monday which is when they will be receiving a nice message about my opinion on their services. Didn’t see the mistake until I parked at home.

Well that certainly sucks! How could they possibly get that wrong?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's amazing, how do you not notice that when you check your work?

Wait... I can't figure out how that's possible.

Staring at a picture of them, the angles and hangers should not allow them to be backward...

Edited by Infosecdad

Busy day for me.

I removed the clutch damper and replaced it with a plug.

Flushed out the old clutch DOT3 fluid.

Very happy with the results, clutch is definitely easier and more predictable now.

I also installed an oil pressure sensor in the rear galley.

Made sure to include a pressure snubber as well.

Wired it up to the driver's side TGV plug that was available.

Thought I can really screwed it up, because I was getting "27" from it in Btssm.

I was expecting a raw voltage, but it wasn't.

After much searching, I found my solution in an old Btssm thread.

(I was missing the "divide by 50" to adjust the TGV value to voltage)

Correct Formula = ((x/50)-.5)*37.5 (For my pressure sensor that is 4.5v at 150psi)

Now I'm really happy to have an oil pressure gauge on my Btssm dashboard.

I went ahead and installed the DW 740cc injectors that I picked up.

I updated my tune with the values that utc_pyro has shared for scaling and latency.

They idle smooth and are good for some of the range.

But I have some really lean spots when trying to accelerate (not WOT)

I'm debating whether to try to tune for it, or send Cryo a note and see about having Dave e-tune it for me.

That's amazing, how do you not notice that when you check your work?

Wait... I can't figure out how that's possible.

Staring at a picture of them, the angles and hangers should not allow them to be backward...

Well that certainly sucks! How could they possibly get that wrong?

I am as astonished as you guys are. Not sure how they made it fit either. They cut the pipes off the mufflers and extended and rotated the flanges. I guess they rotated the mufflers too... I have a feeling they realized it before it was too late and didn’t bother correcting it because it was 30 minutes before quitting time.

Snapped pics of JDM double DIN and USDM stereo brackets. Bad news is they are different, good news should be easy to fab something to reuse USDM bracket.

The important difference is the JDM has special mounting location for DD faceplate where USDM does not. Everything else appears to be same.

USDM bracket:

attachment.php?attachmentid=278443&stc=1&d=1566095098

JDM bracket:

attachment.php?attachmentid=278444&stc=1&d=1566095098

JDM DD faceplate mounting:

attachment.php?attachmentid=278445&stc=1&d=1566095098

USDM_01.thumb.jpg.681303daf382ba5326c485f0ed547b01.jpg

JDM_01.thumb.jpg.b22edc05b217a42a6afe9d4bdeae491a.jpg

JDM_02.thumb.jpg.7097d191acd1488699564faf2518b036.jpg

Anyone is going through or planning engine overhaul? I have some hoses/gaskets/misc parts left from my builds that I no longer need (knock on wood...). Rather than let them sit and get old I decided to offer them here. Each hose is too inexpensive to sell individually with shipping, so I'll rather sell them as a set. Probably will list them in FS part.

Sandblasted top feed TGV housings and my super-budget big brake kit. The second picture shows the result obtained with a good couple of soaks in aircraft stripper. The anodic coating underneath the paint on STI Brembos isn't affected by the stripper, and it doesn't touch the paint on Caddy Brembos either. For anyone who's wondering, 3D printed piston bore and bleeder plugs work great when sandblasting. ABS actually stands up to the blast media really well.

Was planning to set up to powdercoat or Cerakote at home, but I'm leaning more towards just clearcoating these and putting them back together. I was going for silver anyways.

20190817_220320.thumb.jpg.9d0afc5abf8324b5e0e6d6e5be35c5f3.jpg

20190817_195445.thumb.jpg.d164e4239532c66768363472ecd25d38.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle