LegacyGT.com

vf40 or vf52

So i will be getting tax retun this week and planning on these upgrades for sure. First, catless grimmspeed uppipe, cobb dp, bulletproof tmic, banjo bolt removal. Now this is a 5eat. I have 103,000 miles on it. It is my daily driver i dont do alot of freeway driving or racing just like to drive fast and have fun. Im definantley getting a custom turbo from john here on the forums i hear he has great turbos. My question is with those mods will i need to do any other upgrades if i go with the vf52? And will it still be safe as a daily driver for years to come. I dont want to end up dumping more money into it if something fails. So is it a safe bet to stick with vf40 or should i upgrade to vf52? As always thank you i love this community?

The turbo will be safe. But, at 103k miles you also need to be prepared that the engine is ready to explode.

There are a lot who are fine and make it past 200k with no issues and there are a lot whose engines break at around 100k.

A VF52 + injectors + tune is "safe", but sometimes these engines just break for no reason (hello #4 pison ring and goodbye $6,000)

The turbo will be safe. But, at 103k miles you also need to be prepared that the engine is ready to explode.

There are a lot who are fine and make it past 200k with no issues and there are a lot whose engines break at around 100k.

A VF52 + injectors + tune is "safe", but sometimes these engines just break for no reason (hello #4 pison ring and goodbye $6,000)

Well i got my blackstone results back with absolutely no issues. All was very good.

I would do a compression and leakdown test next just to be sure and go from there.

A JMP VF52 with supporting mods is I think around 280-310 whp. A JMPVF40 is going to be 260whp (maybe slightly more)

If you are currently stock you will love a JMP vf40 with a stage 2 (downpipe needed) tune.

If you are currently stage 2 and want more power a VF52 is a good place to start, I would listen to whitetiger though and do the supporting mods.

I picked up a custom vf40 from jmp (you the man john), all for the same reason to have a good DD that never bores me. Plus no real need for alot more mods. Well, except for my new grimmspeed top mount

A JMPVF40 is going to be 260whp (maybe slightly more)

If you are currently stock you will love a JMP vf40 with a stage 2 (downpipe needed) tune.

This is my plan. It's my daily, and I'd rather have the car feel faster than it actually is, and have a wider midrange powerband. I don't like the idea of chasing numbers. If it feels fast and fun, I'm happy with it. It will probably scare your friends/significant other regardless of what you do.

I plan to stop adding go-fast parts to the car at that point, which we all know is a lie.

vf52 and stock fueling with a proper tmic. My vf52 has about 75,000 miles at 21psi. The car is a blast to drive.

After you get more HP remember to keep checking your oil level and keep it topped off.

More Boost = more oil usage.

Oh yea, contact a great tuner, www.tuningalliance.com for the best tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I vote timing belt and water pump if that hasn't been done... Vf52s are pretty nice. I enjoyed mine when on the car. Went through three different tunes and many different parts.

Stock fueling is fine for the vf52. Throw in a dw65c fuel pump and be done. I ran stock fueling for two tunes and did dw740c injectors for the last one. Totally unnecessary, and I had one of the modified dw sidefeed injectors go rotten on me. No Bueno.

I vote timing belt and water pump if that hasn't been done... Vf52s are pretty nice. I enjoyed mine when on the car. Went through three different tunes and many different parts.

Stock fueling is fine for the vf52. Throw in a dw65c fuel pump and be done. I ran stock fueling for two tunes and did dw740c injectors for the last one. Totally unnecessary, and I had one of the modified dw sidefeed injectors go rotten on me. No Bueno.

Did you do any stock TMIC to upgraded TMIC tunes with the VF52, while leaving the rest the same?

:whore:

I've got a GS TMIC, intake and VF52 all going on this weekend to add to my Stage 2 set up right now. If I were in your position though I would probably get a JMP custom40. I saw Tris' and talked to him back in December and he absolutely raved about it! Almost had me convinced to send my low mileage 52 to JMP for his treatment on the 52.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

:whore:

I've got a GS TMIC, intake and VF52 all going on this weekend to add to my Stage 2 set up right now. If I were in your position though I would probably get a JMP custom40. I saw Tris' and talked to him back in December and he absolutely raved about it! Almost had me convinced to send my low mileage 52 to JMP for his treatment on the 52.

After seeing what Xtea got out of his JMP VF52, it has me convinced that when I eventually upgrade I should send my VF52 to him.

The gist of it has to do with the compressor wheel being a lightweight billet wheel vs the stock cast wheel so spool is increased there. He uses upgraded bearings which last longer and also increase spool and then I think he does a little bit or porting on them and of course paints them for you.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived