LegacyGT.com

2020 Subaru Legacy reviews are now live!

IcEWoLF

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a nice car, but few things are missed:

Rear cam doesn’t occupy whole screen.

Incandescent lights are still present both in the front and back, it’s 2020 and I can’t believe Subaru just doesn’t go full led.

The rear end looks bland if you ask him, they went Toyota style, I prefer the 6th gen rear end over the 7th gen.

The engine is disappointing, the car feels slow. They didn’t bother optimize the engine for the smaller car, this engine could easily push 280-300hp. But I guess it be too much of a competition vs the wrx.

Subaru needs to incorporate the lane change camera in their cluster gage, more and more companies are adopting this, their cluster gage needs to be updated.

Some of the positives:

The interior looks fantastic, high quality leather on touring.

Huge entertainment system with separate processors for controls.

Very quiet cabin, acoustic windshield and windows to reduce noise.

Lane centering is fantastic, wish I had such feature on my 2018 legacy.

If I were in the market I’d probably give it another 2 years before I considered buying it, I’d probably wait for nicer refresher.

Subaru is trying hard interior, but really falls flat in the exterior car.

They definitely spent more time designing the outback and the forester and of course the ascent.

I’ll post other links later.

The video mentions only 5 people bought the MT in the final year. The author of the video salutes the 5 Turbo owner who bought MT. The last year of the Legacy is 2012 and there were 227 in the US and I think he made an assumption that it was the years of the LGT. I would guess the 5 people is the last year of the Canadian 6th Gen Legacy 2.5i 6MT (2017).

The wheels are awful and the whole color scheme they reviewed isn't appealing. Really all these Onyx/Black/Orange editions they release are tacky and very Nissan of them :lol:

I think in white it would look better, the 0-60 on the N/A at 11 secs is meh. The XT Model is nice however if I have $37K car budget, I'm never buying a new Subaru. Subaru doesn't make a car worth that much coin given the other shortcomings.

I also wonder if SOA blames themselves for the 12 LGT failure?

I also wonder if SOA blames themselves for the 12 LGT failure?

Not likely. Even though they did everything possible to avoid selling it, they blame it on lack of buyers.

They're way too conservative with everything. They dropped the auto in 2010 because they were worried that the re-positioned turbo might be too torquey for the 5EAT to handle, promptly eliminating well over half of the GT buyers. Then dealers refused to have them on the lots, greatly hindering access. It people have to special-order something, they're much less likely to buy one.

After dropping the 2.5 GT they refused to take advantage of the 3.6 properly. When it first came out, at least a couple reviewers were saying it should be capable of at least 300hp. But did they ever go over 250? Did they ever market a sporty version of the 3.6 that might replace the 2.5 GT?

Lost opportunities.

Not likely. Even though they did everything possible to avoid selling it, they blame it on lack of buyers.

They're way too conservative with everything. They dropped the auto in 2010 because they were worried that the re-positioned turbo might be too torquey for the 5EAT to handle, promptly eliminating well over half of the GT buyers.

and other countries got the 2.5GT 5EAT 5th Gen combination.

I think in white it would look better, the 0-60 on the N/A at 11 secs is meh.

That was with 2 people, at elevation and at least in the video they didn't brake torque the launch, which pretty much any magazine test trying to get the best 0-60 time does. Subaru advertises 8.4 sec 0-60mph which is faster than the prior generation 0-60 of 9 seconds.

It’s a nice car, but few things are missed:

Some of the positives:

The interior looks fantastic, high quality leather on touring.

Huge entertainment system with separate processors for controls.

Very quiet cabin, acoustic windshield and windows to reduce noise.

Lane centering is fantastic, wish I had such feature on my 2018 legacy.

=====================

Ice Wolf how more quiet was the cabin vs your 2018. I'm assuming there was no difference between the 2018 and 2019 Legacy cabins

THKS

Wait another year or two.

Avoid year one of any models.

I guess you missed those of us with a 2005 5mt GT wagon. Still love mine over 15 years later. One owner car. Mine was built May 28 2004, 194th one built. They made 22 wagons that day.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I guess you missed those of us with a 2005 5mt GT wagon. Still love mine over 15 years later. One owner car. Mine was built May 28 2004, 194th one built. They made 22 wagons that day.

Yes, my 194,000 mile 2005 LGT 5mt sedan has just been a nightmare. What with my original turbo, a timing belt replacement, a clutch replacement, and 4 wheel bearings (2 under warranty).

No, it hasn't been trouble free (misfire on Cyl 4 - injector. Swapped with Cyl 2 to confirm, and wouldn't you know, swapping the injectors and the misfire NEVER returned) and other niggly bits, but overall, mine has been a solid bit of kit.

Wait another year or two.

Avoid year one of any models.

My 15 Legacy is the first car where I have found that to not always hold true. It hasn't been plagued by any of the recalls or other more serious issues that popped up in the 16 and above. *knocks on wood* my biggest issues have been the sticking fuel door that was replaced and wind noise that was resolved as well thru TSBs

I like the new Legacy 2020. I know what it is, and it is between that or the Honda Accord which isn't AWD. Unless one wants to pay 5-10,000 more $ for an Audi or Volvo (closest luxury price) this has everything. I have been looking for a while and there is no perfect car.

My 2005 GT taught me to never buy year 1 of any car...

1. Turbo Dead at 80k miles
  2. Radiator Fan Relay bug burned up the ECU TWICE (luckily recall replaced the ecu for free both times)
  3. Banjo filters which were fully clogged and killed turbo and shorted AVCS valve's lives
  4. Absurd 7k Dino oil change recommendations, which is probably why turbo went (by year 3 they switched it to to 3.7k on synthetic)
  5. Pre-Turbo Cats that get clogged (though it did take Subaru to year 3 to ditch them)
  6. All wheel bearings replaced (Not a year one problem, my 2012 is chewing wheel bearing #2 already)

I feel like by now Subaru got better about these issues, but FA24DIT is still a brand new motor, with very thin oil requirements (especially for a turbo car). That's not even including the CVT issues that people are seeing with the Ascent.

With that said, outside of interior electronics, 2020 Legacy/Outback XT is basically an Ascent, so one could say they are on year two already :lol:.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK