LegacyGT.com

Top Feed Conversion on the Cheap

I can see y'all rolling your eyes and thinking "doesn't this noob know how to search?"

Well, yeah, I've been searching and reading and some of the info isn't crystal clear but I think I've got it. The purpose of this thread is to confirm whether I can do a top feed conversion on my '05 with the following parts list:

- Top feed injectors

- OEM top feed TGVs, either later LGT or WRX

- OEM top feed fuel rails, either later LGT or WRX

- Misc. fittings to adapt fuel lines to fuel rails

Is there anything else? Seems pretty simple. Will my intake manifold fit & work with the top feed TGVs?

Are the TGVs and fuel rails interchangeable? i.e. if I find a good deal on some WRX fuel rails and then later on come across some LGT TGVs, will they work together?

Thanks for your input!

#1) Will my intake manifold fit & work with the top feed TGVs?

#2) Are the TGVs and fuel rails interchangeable? i.e. if I find a good deal on some WRX fuel rails and then later on come across some LGT TGVs, will they work together?

#1 - Yes

#2 - Yes, top feed fuel rails will work with top feed TGVS.

Excellent, thanks much for confirming!

i just stumbled across a good deal on some ID1000s and my tuner had mentioned these to me before as being a good way to go for my ultimate goals, so just wanted to make sure I understood what other parts I need to gather to get them installed.

You also need the coolant tank bracket from an 08+WRX or 07-09 LGT if you don't wan want to modify yours.

I also had to trim the tabs that hold a wiring harness clip on the side of my intake manifold for the top feed rails to fit correctly.

You'll also need to convert your fuel line damper/regulator system over to the top feed system.

You also need the coolant tank bracket from an 08+WRX or 07-09 LGT if you don't wan want to modify yours.

I also had to trim the tabs that hold a wiring harness clip on the side of my intake manifold for the top feed rails to fit correctly.

You'll also need to convert your fuel line damper/regulator system over to the top feed system.

Ahhh, details that might bite you in the butt if you don't know about them, and I didn't. Of course it couldn't be as easy as it seemed. Thanks!

By "damper/regulator system", are you talking about the fuel pressure regulator?

Ahhh, details that might bite you in the butt if you don't know about them, and I didn't. Of course it couldn't be as easy as it seemed. Thanks!

By "damper/regulator system", are you talking about the fuel pressure regulator?

Yes. Fuel pressure regulator changes locations and dampeners change styles.

Yes. Fuel pressure regulator changes locations and dampeners change styles.

So there are both a pressure regulator and a dampener? I knew about the existence of a pressure regulator but didn't know it was different between the two systems. For my car I'd planned to replace it anyway as I've read the stock regulators don't work all that great with high flow pumps and big injectors.

I did NOT know about a dampener. I'll have to do some research to figure out what it is/does and where it goes in each system.

Thanks very much for helping me fill in the gaps.

Scored a complete top feed fuel setup from a '13 Forester XT today. TGVs, injectors, rails, pipes & hoses, mounting hardware, FPR & dampeners. Now I just need to figure out how to make it fit my car (per rhino6303s info about coolant tank bracket and wiring harness clip.)

Thanks for the good information!

• 1 year later...
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but I need a hand. I picked up some stock top feed TGV’s with fuel lines and injectors. I see that I have a fuel pressure regulator on the strut tower. So do I eliminate this and keep the one on the 2008 legacy GT fuel rails? And if that’s the case how are you eliminating it?