LegacyGT.com

Help! Which aftermarket intake should I get???

I'm wanting to get a dyno tune for a my jdm legacy. Before the tune I am wanting to get some aftermarket parts so the tune isn't useless.

I'm looking to get an intake, and I am debating between two right now: the HKS racing suction ($600), or the APEXi power intake ($220). I don't really have a clue if there would be an advantage to get the HKS, and I'm not sure if its worth to spend $400 more.

Any response or advice would be awesome, thanks.

Leave the intake alone. Until you get to higher power levels, the headache that an aftermarket intake causes isn't worth it and doesn't really add power. The stock intake sucks up lots of cool air because the manufacturer needed it to for a turbocharged car with emissions targets.

You can get a downpipe and uppipe(if you have older 4th gen with catalytic converter in uppipe) and a tune for 600 bucks...an air intake will need a tune on top of whatever your paying for it so add another 125-150. Any modifications you do to the car engine wise needs a tune otherwise you run the risk of decreasing its life, ie knock. So its better to plan accordingly to minimize the tunes you will need.

So basically you can waste your money on a useless air intake to get like .5- 1hp, and at that point its probably coming from just the tune alone. Or you can get a downpipe for like 300 bucks, tune for 150, uppipe another 150(or a used one from newer car from junkyard for like 50 bucks) if you have 05-06 I believe. And you can get like what 50 extra hp... so you do the math! And if you want more hp down the line, you wont get anywhere without a downpipe, thats ALWAYS step one for the 4th gen, ALWAYS.... ALWAYS!!! Your wasting your time, our time and the tuners time by thinking about an air intake on a stock motor, without even a downpipe. Do tuners even tune a car without a downpipe???

Start here

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html

And if all you want is the swooshing sound, just take out the stock intake airbox and remove that thingy on the bottom( its some kind of sound damper/resonator), and you will have all the swooshing you need.

A performance air filter for the stock airbox will get you the same performance results for like 20 bucks versus paying 400-600 for aftermarket kit....

Edited by Tehnation

Sorry guys, this was my first post. I'll add some mods and more information on my car.

I am from Canada, and I have a 2004 JDM Subaru Legacy (technically '05 because of BL chassis code). It's an EJ20Y with a single twin scroll turbo. I have a 3" catless downpipe with a full cat back exhaust and a GFB BOV as my only mods. I also have new NHK spark plugs that I'm going to put in within this week.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. You guys just saved me around $500, which is awesome. What I've gathered is that the intake is nothing more than a brand name, and the stock one should serve me well. I guess my next step is to get the tune...? Or is there mods I should be considering before hand.

Another thing that I saw was that a tune cost around $150 (USD im guessing), which is very very low where I live. Best prices I could find in my province is around $800CAD for a dyno tune and around 1K for a custom tune.

Apologies to Tehnation, I should have included more information :)

Have a good day everyone!

I'm not so familiar with the 2.0 motors! I know for the 2.5 single turbo the intake is pointless up until a certain point.

The 2.0 twin scroll is a different animal so I can't assume an intake won't be helpful! I would do some more research first. I would try nasioc, they may be better equipped for 2.0 twin scroll knowledge and information as it is a much more common mod over there, nasioc, because wrxs and 2.0 twin scroll turbos have existed a lot longer than turbo legacies in the states. So most of the information on the 4th gen on this website pertains to the 2.5 turbo usdm.

I would definitely make a post on nasioc to get some insight.

Edited by Tehnation

Next step I would do is, zip tie all the vacuum hoses.

Make sure the MAF sensor is clean and a good clean air filter before you spend money and time data logging. with less then clean parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here