LegacyGT.com

Stop Start Technology...the future

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who doesn’t like this thing like me. I have received and installed that device previously discussed. Took me literally 5 minutes. Just followed the instructions on the video. Works great ( as expected). I’m very happy!
For my information, does the device also make AVH stay in the last known setting?

I always drive with auto S/S off and AVH on. Would most likely be buying in a second if the device did both. Otherwise, I'll still have to turn on AVH every ignition anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m into this device, it looks very easy to install. Not cheap at $100. I’m about 1/6 of the way through a three year lease so this will make the car less annoying.

I wonder if Subaru might do something with a future firmware update that renders this gizmo useless.

I’m into this device, it looks very easy to install. Not cheap at $100. I’m about 1/6 of the way through a three year lease so this will make the car less annoying.

I wonder if Subaru might do something with a future firmware update that renders this gizmo useless.

It's not really legally required, it's just a method to pass the ever increasing fuel consumption demands when getting the car approved for the market.

If you as an owner don't conform to the fuel consumption limits that the car manufacturers have specified in the sales documents it's your problem, not the governments problem. At least not yet.

453747.png

For my information, does the device also make AVH stay in the last known setting?

I always drive with auto S/S off and AVH on. Would most likely be buying in a second if the device did both. Otherwise, I'll still have to turn on AVH every ignition anyhow.

As far as I can see it has nothing to do with AVH. It's about ASS (sorry, Auto Start Stop) feature. The last state (on or off) has been memorized and when you start you engine it's in that position (obviously OFF in my case). However you can still change it in normal way if you wish.

Again, to clarify: This does not apply to AVH. AVH still defaults to off every time you start the engine.

Edited by Pinchroller

As far as I can see it has nothing to do with AVH. It's about ASS (sorry, Auto Start Stop) feature. The last state (on or off) has been memorized and when you start you engine it's in that position (obviously OFF in my case). However you can still change it in normal way if you wish.

Again, to clarify: This does not apply to AVH. AVH still defaults to off every time you start the engine.

I have gotten in touch with Autostop Eliminator and they have confirmed that their device only acts on ASS and not AVH.

It doesn't seem like it would be complicated for them to add AVH. However, they don't have an outback/legacy nearby for testing purposes.

I'd gladly help, but it would be a long journey going from Canada to WV.... Especially with the border closed and all.... [emoji52]

in shopping for a new Subaru,[we have owned 6 so far]... i read enough about the start/stop to know we did not look forward to it so,,,,,

solution was to buy a new 2019 leftover legacy Limited......."last one on the lot"

we have total 10yr bumper to bumper warranty so guess we will deal with it in 10 yrs when prob all cars will have the SS..

in shopping for a new Subaru,[we have owned 6 so far]... i read enough about the start/stop to know we did not look forward to it so,,,,,

solution was to buy a new 2019 leftover legacy Limited......."last one on the lot"

we have total 10yr bumper to bumper warranty so guess we will deal with it in 10 yrs when prob all cars will have the SS..

It’s not that bad and easy enough to turn off when you start up. If I’m just going a short distance I don’t even bother. Longer drives with multiple stops expected I always turn it off. If I forget, the first stop will remind me and I’ll do it then.

A bigger issue is that if you have a model with the Driver Monitoring/Distraction System it cannot handle sunglasses. Mine will always disable itself if I use my fit-over sunglasses. Only a car shut down/restart will reset it and sometimes it will take several hours for that to work. Sunglasses really mess this thing up so on sunny days I always turn it off along with Stop/Start. On cloudy days or at night I leave it alone - no sunglasses - and it works perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got a 2021 Crosstrek with auto stop/start. I expected to hate it - but with city driving style I really hardy notice it now. It was a surprise the first few times it happened - but foot gently off the brake, engine starts and by the time your foot is moved over to the accelerator pedal the engine is running smoothly.

My issue is that as an automotive test engineer I have been involved in some very detailed test work for a car battery supplier versus a car manufacturer over 'stop/start' systems with the problem being battery failures.

Battery manufacturer saying battery has not been specced high enough by OEM and possibly the battery charging algorithm is not optimised - and vehicle manufacturer saying batteries are not good enough...

Also just to clarify - I do not believe in man made catastrophic global warming :lol: CO2 is plant food and most places I have lived could do with being a few degrees warmer - if it ever comes :spin:

Batteries are always too small, they work fine for a year or two. Maybe five years if you are good with them and let them charge.

What I worry about more than the battery is the starter having to work overtime on starting the engine that often.

453747.png

Batteries are always too small, they work fine for a year or two. Maybe five years if you are good with them and let them charge.

My Norwegian battery which I bought back in 2012 is still in one of my cars :spin:. Can't believe it is still holding a charge.

What I worry about more than the battery is the starter having to work

overtime on starting the engine that often.

Which is why I asked in my earlier post whether the starters in these newer cars are different (e.g. beefier internals) than, say, in the 4th gen LGT.

My Norwegian battery which I bought back in 2012 is still in one of my cars :spin:. Can't believe it is still holding a charge.

Seems normal to me actually - not unusual around here to get about 10 years out of a battery.

453747.png

I did a lot of work with Jaguar Land Rover engines - they had what they called a BISG unit...

Belt Integrated Starter Generator...

This unit was able to carry over an engine rotation if it got to the point that the engine had basically stopped - but then the driver had requested power. Instead of the engine going to a full stop and then restarting the BISG would boost the engine rotation rather than needing to use the starter motor - apparently they even got a little 'hybrid' eco credit for this development LOL :lol:

Also the valve train was hydraulically operated and would leave the valves open when the engine was NOT running for less resistance to initial turn over. Once the engine started rotating oil pressure goes up and valves operate normally....

Edited by Hoojammyflip

• 1 month later...