LegacyGT.com

Dear God I went a 1/8 rotation back on my Cam Gear

Hi all,

Finishing up my timing belt on my 2005 LGT Ltd 5MT wagon. Last step putting the belt on is to put the belt on the driver side intake (top) cam gear. This cam gear jumped a little bit CW past the timing mark. Not thinking, I just moved it back that 1/8 turn CCW. It's very clear you are NEVER supposed to move your gear BACK CCW. You are only supposed to move it CW.

So.. Did I do any damage going CCW jus that 1/8 turn back. Can I put the belt on now and give it a shot?

What do you do if you know you rotated that cam gear 1/8 turn CCW?

Any help appreciated.

Line it up and install. You're not supposed to go other way past the resting point. When you pull it the correct way, it's open the valves in cylinders that are not at the top. It pops because of that tension. If you kept going, then youd be opening valves into pistons at the top.

You're good.

I don't believe you can damage the valves and pistons on that side of the engine because the pistons are mid stroke. #1 is at TDC, #3 is at BDC the other two are at mid stroke on the drivers side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As long as the crank gear is aligned up to it's mark, there will be no issues. I've had mine snap back several times with no damage. You should be fine as long as the crank gear is aligned.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Perfect. All good. I thought it was OK because the valves snap into a closed position and all you're doing is putting them back on the cam lobe again so CW CCW shouldn't matter if the lower cam is fixed and you're just moving back from over center closed CW to over center closed CCW, if any of that makes sense!

As long as the crank gear is aligned up to it's mark, there will be no issues. I've had mine snap back several times with no damage. You should be fine as long as the crank gear is aligned.

Mine snapped back too, as long as you line it back up you will be fine. I did it by myself having never done one previously, if I ever have to do it again I will make sure I have an extra hand or just buy the tool to hold the cams.

Archived