LegacyGT.com

2005 5MT Drain Plug leaks...and leaks...and leaks

jcs

Hi all,

I have a 2005 LGT Ltd 5MT wagon. Just did the clutch/flywheel. Refilled transmission and reused copper gasket. The plug leaked. Torqued down to about 100 ft/lbs (rather than specified 52 ft lbs) still leaked. Purchased new Subaru gasket. Leaked again. Purchased new Subaru gasket and put teflon tape on the plug. Still leaking. So you can imagine my frustration after all the work for the new clutch, the darn plug leaks. I've drained the trans 3 times so far.

Has anyone had this issue? No cracks in the threads. Car has 49,800 miles on it.

Any ideas please please help!

Dumb question but you never know.. You're certain it's leaking from the drain plug? It's not leaking down from the axle seals to the drain plug? I know when my axle seals have leaked, it leaks down the side of the transmission to the drain plug.

It's been a while for me. Is the copper washer symmetrical top/bottom or is there a crush portion as like the oil drain? If there is a flat and a crush portion, the flat goes against the bolt and the crush goes into the threaded hole.

Don't overtorque a drain bolt. It will stretch or strip the threads.

Check the axle seals.

And for your next clutch job, try the engine removal method. Far easier.

Archived