LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

solidxsnake, if your 2012 N7 tablet comes with lollipop and you successfully install Timur's ROM on top of it (without downgrading the stock android ROM), let us know. Cause so far, I have not heard of anyone trying that.

fyi, Timur provides a ROM that can be installed on top of lollilop IF you have a 2013 N7. From what I can tell on his website, the last ROM he has been provided in the past for the 2012 N7 was made to be installed on top of 4.2.2. See here: http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

solidxsnake, if your 2012 N7 tablet comes with lollipop and you successfully install Timur's ROM on top of it (without downgrading the stock android ROM), let us know. Cause so far, I have not heard of anyone trying that.

fyi, Timur provides a ROM that can be installed on top of lollilop IF you have a 2013 N7. From what I can tell on his website, the last ROM he has been provided in the past for the 2012 N7 was made to be installed on top of 4.2.2. See here: http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

Yup, I've been reading up on that. I'm reluctant to buy the 2013 version since I already have the 2012 version which is sufficient for my needs. I'm sure I could figure out how to modify it to work (if necessary), but probably won't bother right away.

I have both (just got the 2013 a month ago). The 2012 (with Lollipop) is a turtle next to the 2013. So when I have time, I will downgrade my 2012 cause it was definitely more responsive with the previous versions of Android.

I have the 2013 and for the life of me could not flash the ROM on with lollipop. So i just downgraded, its not like i need all the new stuff anyways. As long as i can play angry birds in the middle of traffic and freak out the person next to my car.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I have both (just got the 2013 a month ago). The 2012 (with Lollipop) is a turtle next to the 2013. So when I have time, I will downgrade my 2012 cause it was definitely more responsive with the previous versions of Android.

I found the same with my 2012. So I installed CM on it, and it was back to being zippy. Only reason I ended up getting the 2013 was because the 2012 charge port failed, and it was cheaper to buy the 2013 instead of fixing the 2012.

Oh, and picture attached as requested. Keep in mind, you shouldn't have to cut the hole there, I did just because I had a previous backup camera installed there already and wanted to use the same spot.

20151109_132116.thumb.jpg.c9620ada3cccbbbec78096bcd24b57b6.jpg

Edited by mclarenf3

Nice. thanks for posting the picture. I also want my back up camera to be somewhat unnoticed. I've seen on the web variants of the one you bought (e.g. night vision LED, license plate mounting, inclusion of parking-assist lines on the image, etc...). So many choices...

Btw, can you see your bumper with the camera angled that way?

link 1 is dead. link 2 goes to a dutch version of amazon that might not work for US users. I opted for an Android OS double din deck from Autopumpkin

Another question for those using the Timur ROM :)

Which media player are you guys using? Is it able to pause, and pick up where it left off without issue, particularly with music files that are located on a USB drive? So far I've tried with poweramp and vlc, and both players pick up when it paused before deep sleep, but then it cut off. Basically, it looks like they have to rescan the USB drive after each deep sleep which is annoying.. Thoughts?

I am using a N7 2013 with Lollipop and Timur ROM.

btw, I've downgraded my N7 2012 from Lollipop to Jelly Bean (4.2.2). Man, the tablet is way more responsive, just like when I bought it. So nice!!

So im gonna go ahaead and assume (after reading through) 22 pages of posts that no one watches Mighty Car Mods on youtube. they actually due a budget DIY install of an ipad into an STI swapped OBW. Here's a link for those interested.
. It pretty much goes over most questions besides software and more personalized inquirys

So im gonna go ahaead and assume (after reading through) 22 pages of posts that no one watches Mighty Car Mods on youtube. they actually due a budget DIY install of an ipad into an STI swapped OBW. Here's a link for those interested.
. It pretty much goes over most questions besides software and more personalized inquirys

The problem is that the ipad ( besides the world of fitment issues) cannot performs all the tasks we would want from it.

My high mileage turd.

well you could use a windows based tablet and that should pretty much open up for all the possibilities in the world Especially if you can manage to get windows 7 on it but a WIN8 tablet should fit the bill incredibly. Pretty much the video MCM makes is a suitable tutorial for any type of tablet. Edited by Le Gabbys
left something out

Another question for those using the Timur ROM :)

Which media player are you guys using? Is it able to pause, and pick up where it left off without issue, particularly with music files that are located on a USB drive? So far I've tried with poweramp and vlc, and both players pick up when it paused before deep sleep, but then it cut off. Basically, it looks like they have to rescan the USB drive after each deep sleep which is annoying.. Thoughts?

I am using a N7 2013 with Lollipop and Timur ROM.

^ Bump to this question. :spin:

Also, I did get this item. It did mention in the description stk1160 but when I installed the driver on my xp machine, it showed stk1150.. And when I tried using it with my N7 2013, it did not work :(.

^ Bump to this question. :spin:

Also, I did get this item. It did mention in the description stk1160 but when I installed the driver on my xp machine, it showed stk1150.. And when I tried using it with my N7 2013, it did not work :(.

I think almost every player will have to re scan the device. Your putting it into deep sleep mode which basically limits it to core processes turning everything off.

My high mileage turd.

Then there must be a way to tell a player to lock the 'database' it built from the previous scan or something. I am waiting for timur to accept me on his reddit forum page :rolleyes:. I'll post here if I find a solution..

See , i wanted to avoid all the hassle , so i bought the 64 gig tablet with data. Anytime i want to update, i sync it to my cloud. But let me know, its always a help.

My high mileage turd.

Got my vent/center-cubby surround in from the classifieds today. Started working on fitment. Decided that I wanted to take the N7 apart and rid myself of the grey bezel around to net some extra clearance. Took it apart, started working on taking the digitizer/screen assy off of the plastic bezel. Promptly shattered the digitizer :spin::spin:

Ordered a new digitizer/LCD combo off of Amazon (WITHOUT the stupid bezel). Cost as much as the tablet cost me :lol:

I think i should win the ghetto n7 install award. Literally got two l brackets with holes which i gorilla glued to the back of the tablet and then screwed into the bezel.

My high mileage turd.

• 3 weeks later...

Built my isolated 5V, 2+ A DC-DC converter today. Also did some more plastic chopping/fitment testing. I really miss having a workbench =_=. Gonna take this into work tomorrow to make sure it works as intended!

Building the supply:

http://i.imgur.com/6UCFxFE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3RRl3dh.jpg

Plastic chopping/fitment. I want the vents to be fully-functional, so I cut slots in the side and glued the front-most portion (that holds the horizontal deflectors) to the plastic bezel using Loctite's Plastic Bonding System (this is polypropylene, so the dichloromethane solvent weld I have is useless =_=). Will need to fill the gaps once the tablet is fully installed. Waiting on an LCD flex cable since I trashed my old one.

http://i.imgur.com/KHHyngx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dksvlCX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8S3aJx6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Adr8HVC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lrJovZ0.jpg

All that's left is to wait for the LCD cable, sand/plasti-dip the bezel, and then install everything for good. I'm debating whether I want to add something like body filler/epoxy to fill up the curved gap in the bezel to make it flat (so the tablet sits flush with the bezel, instead of having the curved gap). Maybe I'll just fill it with foam tape or something similar. I'm probably going to stick to hot-glue to affix the tablet to the bezel, since I don't plan on removing it ever.

This is the shroud/fascia thats currently available correct? Not the one that was discontinued?

No, this is the stock USDM trim panel that holds the cubby and the clock/outside temp display. I hacked away the middle portion (that separates the cubby from the clock) and smoothed the edges out with a Dremel. You can see the difference in beveling at the bottom-center of the front versus the bottom corners.

I would have much rather had the JDM ducts, but I wasn't sure how sure the one that's currently in stock fits in a USDM dash (there's one for sale for $200 in the classies, the seller says it won't fit without trimming). Also, can't beat $20 for the piece I have =P