LegacyGT.com

Tire Replacement- All Four vs Just One

Hi All,

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Caught a nail, tire was patched but the ultimately the hole was too big and the patch leaked.

Tires worn to 7/32 from 10/32 new. The Discount Tire Tech told me that Michelin's tolerance for diameter difference for AWD is ok within 4/32. The Subaru dealer and Google told me that the max diameter difference is 2/32. I am planning on keeping this car for a long time, so I am biased to trust Subaru and don't have a problem with reasonable maintenance costs.

Walker's Renton Subaru can shave the new tire to match the wear of the other 3 at cost of around $130. I don't know anything about shaving tires, but that sounds sketchy.

I purchased the Discount Tire warranty, so the price of new tires is prorated relative to the wear. As it happens, there is currently a Michelin discount and a Discount Tire discount, so the prorated cost of 4 new tires is around $300.

Given that I plan on keeping the car for a long time, it seems like a no brainer to replace all 4 tires. But I am curious about true impact of differing tire diameter vs. the cvt/diffs. Is being 1/32 out of the Subaru spec really that big of a deal?

Haven’t done it for my Subaru but have bought a tire in the past and had it shaved for my BMW’s awd system.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire-buying-maintenance/tire-shaving-all-wheel-drive-car-no-replacing-all-four-tires/

Thanks Chowser 51, good to know tire shaving is a thing. I will research, but still leaning towards replacing all four.

$300 for 4 new Michelins is extremely cheap. Personally, I would find a shop who can repair the tire properly and save that money, even though it's very tempting. Round patches for the center section and rectangular sidewall patches for the inner and outer edges of the tire.

I'd get four new tires for $300 if that's an option

I had a tire shaved from tirerack once in 2017. The tire was $95, shaving was $30, shipping was $40, order total was $166. Shipping was a little high because I think only the Indiana location does tire shaving.

I forgot to mention I was reimbursed $95 from tireracks road hazard warranty, but they didn't cover shipping or shaving.

Hi All,

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Caught a nail, tire was patched but the ultimately the hole was too big and the patch leaked.

Tires worn to 7/32 from 10/32 new. The Discount Tire Tech told me that Michelin's tolerance for diameter difference for AWD is ok within 4/32. The Subaru dealer and Google told me that the max diameter difference is 2/32. I am planning on keeping this car for a long time, so I am biased to trust Subaru and don't have a problem with reasonable maintenance costs.

Walker's Renton Subaru can shave the new tire to match the wear of the other 3 at cost of around $130. I don't know anything about shaving tires, but that sounds sketchy.

I purchased the Discount Tire warranty, so the price of new tires is prorated relative to the wear. As it happens, there is currently a Michelin discount and a Discount Tire discount, so the prorated cost of 4 new tires is around $300.

Given that I plan on keeping the car for a long time, it seems like a no brainer to replace all 4 tires. But I am curious about true impact of differing tire diameter vs. the cvt/diffs. Is being 1/32 out of the Subaru spec really that big of a deal?

4/32 is not OK. Subaru spec is with 1/4" of circumference which works out be a little over 1.3/32nd, 2/32nd should be Ok for 1 tire. Every time I see some have signs of AWD issues, it always seem like they have nonmatching tire depths tires. If one dives into the math of the of the AWD clutch spin rates the highways, it doesn't take much of mismatch to start putting a lot slipping in the AWD.

I would either shave 1 tire or buy 4 new ones.

Appreciate all the input and education, thanks everyone.

I'm going to go ahead and replace all 4 tires, especially given the price. I do plan on keeping the car for a long time, so this is cheap insurance for the AWD system, not to mention the suspension. Plus, new rubber is always a kick :lol:

My current tires have 18k on them and are worn to 7/32. Supposedly they are good for 45k or 2/32. Seems like the wear rate is right on par if not better.

Somewhat unrelated note: I like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ better than the Conti DWSO6. The Conti's are definitely better in the snow, but the Michelin's are better in the rain and much better in the dry. Also, the Michelin's are more responsive and overall handle better.

I still have 6/32 on my OEM tires (42K miles), so I think I'm okay for now, but I am curious--what model Michelin is so cheap out west? TireRack in my area has the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ listed for $165 each for the tire alone. Costco has a Michelin $70 off on 4 tires. That must be one heck of a set of rebates you are being offered.

I still have 6/32 on my OEM tires (42K miles), so I think I'm okay for now, but I am curious--what model Michelin is so cheap out west? TireRack in my area has the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ listed for $165 each for the tire alone. Costco has a Michelin $70 off on 4 tires. That must be one heck of a set of rebates you are being offered.

Most of the discount comes from the prorated price of the tires. I purchased the Discount Tire warranty; one of the benefits includes the option of purchasing new tires at a prorated price relative to the wear when a customer encounters a situation such as mine. Makes sense if you own a Subie. I think the warranty costs around $85 (also includes free rotations and balancing).

https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates

Most of the discount comes from the prorated price of the tires. I purchased the Discount Tire warranty; one of the benefits includes the option of purchasing new tires at a prorated price relative to the wear when a customer encounters a situation such as mine. Makes sense if you own a Subie. I think the warranty costs around $85 (also includes free rotations and balancing).

https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/certificates

Also ... you can purchase this warranty for tires not purchased at Discount Tire. I frequently buy CL tires (especially snow tires in the summer etc) and then take them to DT to mount and balance and get this warranty. It's usually about $60-$80 for a set, depending on how much tread is left.

Also ... you can purchase this warranty for tires not purchased at Discount Tire. I frequently buy CL tires (especially snow tires in the summer etc) and then take them to DT to mount and balance and get this warranty. It's usually about $60-$80 for a set, depending on how much tread is left.

That seems like a smart, cost effective strategy. I guess Discount Tire is willing to pay a little for customer loyalty, might as well take advantage.

Took the newly installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's for a spin today on this route: https://goo.gl/maps/197yyeyNNB42

I encountered a mix of snow, slush, sleet, and rain over the course of about 2 hours; if you zoom in on that route, you'll see all the twisties. I tried to get the tires to break traction in snow and slush and the tires didn't break once.

Beautiful route btw.

Archived