LegacyGT.com

Intermittent kazoo sound/ rattling

First I'll start by saying hello to everyone.

I didn't intend my first post to be a plea for help.

I just recently bought an 05 legacy gt and I love it but I'm having a unique problem.

I searched around this forum as well as Google and can't find anything like my issue.

The car has 174k with a "rebuilt" turbo from a mechanic that knows Jack about turbo cars. He text me 3 days after the purchase to ask how to hook up a wastegate.

Anyway,, the car ran fine for 50 miles then I heard what sounded like a kazoo with a slight loss of power that lasted under 1 second. I chalked it up to my imagination.

20 miles later more of the kazoo sound with more power loss.

I hooked up a boost gauge and she was hitting 11 psi and still pulled hard,, sometimes.

On my last drive before parking it the kazoo sound went away and turned into a horrible rattle when under load coming from the turbo area.

If I leave it in neutral I can rev it all day and it won't make the noise but as soon as I put it in gear and tap the gas it rattles badly.

The only cel it threw was for rich condition bank 1 and 2.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Any ideas?

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I think the shadetree mechanic rebuilt the turbo incorectly with an eBay cartridge.I grabbed a used vf40 of eBay for 100$ as a starting point. As soon as i pull the turbo this weekend I'll post my findings.

Oil starvation is a major cause of turbo failure in these cars, while you're installing the vf40 remove the banjo bolt in the oil feed line below the turbo. There is a cylindrical screen inside the bolt that can get clogged with debris and stop oil from reaching the turbo.

You should also drain and inspect the oil, check for metal particles (try sticking s strong magnet in the used oil and see if anything sticks to it)

From what you described it seems likely that the turbo has failed, hopefully it hasn't caused damage to the engine. Good luck and please post your findings when you can.

That kazoo sound is the turbo to Uppipe connection.

That is interesting to know, I wouldn't have considered that.

In regards to the "horrible rattling sound" he heard from the turbo while under load, is it safe to assume the turbo shaft has been damaged?

Yes, the whistling sound in most cases will be coming from the Uppipe. the gasket between the exhaust manifold to Uppipe is not tight enough or needs a thicker gasket. Contact Grimspeed for thicker gaskets.
My wife's balls are delicious.

So I pulled the turbo.....

Shaft broke in half, only 4 bolts holding turbo to the downpipe, he didn't change the up/dp gaskets, the were no gaskets in the oil feed and the screen was clogged.

New turbo will be here Wednesday and I will proceed to change the oil and filter 2-3 times in the next 15 miles.

Wow sorry to hear man. Just a thought, when you drain the oil for the first time pay extra attention to see if it contains metal particles. If so maybe a good idea to drop the oil pan and give it a thorough cleaning? Also maybe putting a strong magnet near the oil drain plug to capture any metal that may contaminate the oil.

Again just a thought, I may be way off here but figured it cant hurt. Good luck.

kazoo sound

Lol at this, my stock turbo recently failed on me, and within the last ten minutes of its life i had a few strange "kazoo" noises. Still not really sure what to blame the noise on.

But just as in your situation, it was followed by a nasty rattle, which was the turbine wheel bouncing around in the turbo, snapped off of the shaft.

Update: Car is running well in the used vf40 I got but it had more shaft play than I'm comfortable with so I bought a new turbo and a catless up to go with it. Will be installing next weekend.

On a side note if anyone wants a dead and/or dieing vf40 I got 2 for free

My Legacy had crack in the up-pipe when I bought it, out of curiosity would this produce a similar sound? I just noticed it today on a long drive, starts pulling hard then weird kazoo sound and feels like it chokes a bit.

Archived