LegacyGT.com

White & Silver - after a day of detailing

I have been told that getting either a white car or a silver car to really reflect is not an easy task. It just so happens that I own both, ( well my wife owns the Rav4 ), mine is a 2008 white OutBack XT. I have always been know for how clean my cars were but I have never shared, so I took some pics to post.

I have contemplated starting my own business while I finish school. I've seen what places charge and that is just for a wash, so at the very least I shouldn't go hungry. We'll see how it goes.

IMG_0289.thumb.jpg.04e2163a7c4c9d5ac26583e20414f731.jpg

2053405342_Rav43of3.thumb.jpg.6b87692c2fcc6382baa00947e0672fe3.jpg

'08 OutBack XT limited - Satin White Pearl

AVO FSB Bushings | Ralli-Tek RSB | AVO Drop-in filter

Absolutely not a problem to share. I am using http://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do

I started using Griots products about 4 years ago and have been please with the results I am able to achieve. To get the results above, I started with washing with their soap. Then I used the clay and speed-shine twice. After that, I put on two good coats of wax.

I do to. There is something about looking over the dashboard and seeing the world reflecting back in the hood ahead of you. I smile every time...

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you - I really take great pride in shining up my vehicles. Ever since HS, people that know me, know how clean my cars are.

I've been using Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax and honestly, I'm not that impressed. It goes on and comes off effortlessly, but I've noticed that it leaves a haze behind. You can't see it very well on my car since it's silver, but I notice it. Would you guys recommend using a carnuba wax instead of the new synthetic polymers that are out there? I've heard good things about Griots, a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I've been using Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax and honestly, I'm not that impressed. It goes on and comes off effortlessly, but I've noticed that it leaves a haze behind. You can't see it very well on my car since it's silver, but I notice it. Would you guys recommend using a carnuba wax instead of the new synthetic polymers that are out there? I've heard good things about Griots, a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Maybe the process shouldn't be so effortless then? How do you apply it? I use a spray wax that has carnauba and montan waxes in it. Simply spray it on a folded microfiber then spray the car, wipe it and take a dry microfiber and wipe away any extra residue or possible hazing you may be suggesting.

Maybe the process shouldn't be so effortless then? How do you apply it? I use a spray wax that has carnauba and montan waxes in it. Simply spray it on a folded microfiber then spray the car, wipe it and take a dry microfiber and wipe away any extra residue or possible hazing you may be suggesting.

Its in a liquid form from a bottle and I apply it with a pad, let it sit for 30 MIN, then wipe it off with a microfiber towel, then go back over the whole car with an additional microfiber towel. Everything I have researched on it says that is supposed to be applied in that manner, but, one of the main complaints about it was the haze it leaves behind. I'm curious if its because its a synthetic polymer. This is the first one of this type that ive used.

Its in a liquid form from a bottle and I apply it with a pad, let it sit for 30 MIN, then wipe it off with a microfiber towel, then go back over the whole car with an additional microfiber towel. Everything I have researched on it says that is supposed to be applied in that manner, but, one of the main complaints about it was the haze it leaves behind. I'm curious if its because its a synthetic polymer. This is the first one of this type that ive used.

Wow that seems to be that way because it has to sit so long. Especially in direct sunlight. Like I said I use one that you spray and wipe right then and there. Seems like a much easier way and the product works incredibly. Good luck And hope this helped

Hazing with waxes seems to be very temperature dependent. I use Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT waxes, depending on the vehicle and how much time I want to spend, along with a 10" orbital buffer with cotton terry and microfiber bonnets. Letting the wax set for 20-30 minutes in the shade or in a garage at 70-75* seems to give me the best results with the least secondary buffing.

I normally apply with a terry bonnet and the buffer, let it set until the wax wipes off cleanly with a fingertip, then buff the excess wax with a microfiber bonnet. I follow by buffing the car again with a clean microfiber bonnet. This won't get you all the nooks and crannies, but I touch those up with a hand applicator, and hand-buff those areas with microfiber cloths.

I did wax the LGT in the garage a week or so ago, and when the temps were in the 40-50s (it IS MN in the winter, even with a heated garage) I do get some hazing with the Gold Class. I haven't been able to do a full detail on the car yet, but I plan to when spring gets here and I'm able to work without a heater and without having to drive the car daily. I've done car detailing semi-professionally for several years, so I've had plenty of time to find out what works and what doesn't.

Good job OP, by the way. It's not hard to maintain a clean car, but it definitely takes lots of time and dedication. I usually spend at least 4-5 hours a week during the summer, and I don't even drive my summer car more than once or twice a week.

Griot's makes great products. You can always trust products that come from a company entirely staffed by people who are nuts about cars. :) I love going through the Griot's catalog because it is filled with lots of stuff from Richard. I've met him a few times and he is every bit as crazy about his Italian fleet as we are about our cars.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived