LegacyGT.com

COBB Flex Fuel and YOU! What,Why and how much

cryo

Hey there guys

Feels nice to be back in the seat writing up some tutorials.

COBB just released flex fuel for the Legacy GT and Forester XT. What does that mean for you?

Well first off it means that anyone who has a 05-12 Legacy GT or Outback XT Manual transmission can now be tuned using features that were not previously available on some models.

This also means that those who do not want to use flex fuel can still use some of the software features like the fuel pressure sensor to monitor as well as have something known as fuel pressure differential activated and install a wideband to read onto the accessport easily. We can also trigger tuner defined check engine lights for low fuel pressure. More details on benefits other than flex fuel with this release can be found here - https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cobb-custom-features-and-you-even-without-flexfuel-enabled-276622.html

Now onto the fun talk about Flex Fuel

What it is -

The flex fuel kit allows us to use one map in the ecu to control any amount of ethanol content in the tank and adjust accordingly for it. It has an ethanol content sensor that takes a reading of how much ethanol % is in the tank. It then does a lookup in the ecu to see what our boost,fuel,timing,etc targets are at that given % and adjusts on the fly.

The benefit here is that we can run ANY amount of ethanol from E10 pump fuel to the highest content available and the ecu will ALWAYS adjust according to it so you want the most power, run the highest content. You want to put 5 gal of 93 in since your low on fuel? Go ahead, the ecu will see the change in ethanol % on the fly and adjust the tune to target a lower boost/timing/fueling etc all while in the background without having to worry about "winter blends" or running the tank to empty before swapping over.

Why -

Ethanol has a great ability to create more power and torque if properly fueled (see injectors and fuel pump) and can be a great addition to almost any forced induction vehicle due to its alcohol attributes and octane rating.

A standard stage 2 legacy tuned on ethanol will normally pick up about 20-30whp and 30-50wtq if properly fueled (obviously most do not upgrade injectors on a stage 2 car but its being used for reference, a 16G or vf52 car picks up about the same in terms of overall gains most times).

Flex fuel allows many people that do not live by stations to pop in when they are in the area and fill up as they want to gain huge amounts of power and torque when they want and still run pump fuel when its convenient.

Injectors and Pumps -

We strongly suggest the AEM320 fuel pump for this application as its designed for ethanol and is a factory fit without many failures. We are always happy to supply them to you on the website listed in our signature.

Injectors are needed for flex fuel and we always suggest the Injector Dynamics 1050X injector or COBB 1050X injector. If you have a 05-06 Legacy GT or 04-05 Forester XT with sidefeed injectors you will need to convert to top feed fuel injectors. These are also available on the website in our signature below. These 1050X are specifically made for alternate fuel use like E85.

Pricing -

There are two kits available on our website as well as COBB'S and I will explain the differences.

The basic kit retails for $800 and includes the Flex fuel sensor, flex module, fuel lines, mounting brackets and pieces.

The upgraded kit includes everything above and adds the fuel pressure sensor and retails for $1000. This kit is strongly preferred due to its ability to adjust fuel pressure as mentioned up in the early section. A picture of both kits has been included.

What it is NOT!

The COBB Flex fuel kit is not cheap, but its designed on the OEM level and incorporates a ton of features of standalones as well as OEM ECU capability without any hassle. It does NOT come with an Accessport or a OTS tune. It will require you to purchase one of our E-Tunes or Dyno tunes to utilize these features.

It is not for the Auto 5eat, its worth the effort to send them emails and keep letting them know you want it, but alas it may never be

We are happy to supply any information people need in this thread and rather than pm, please post to help others get those answers too....

This will always be updated but wanted to get this up there sooner rather than later to help those out...

Please email us for any quotes etc as we are always happy to provide the community with thier parts and tuning as we have for years!

Dave

2043387632_LGTFlexFuel.thumb.jpg.01937c3ce6ad0b696a34d14a4750a774.jpg

749356343_LGTFlexfuelw.ofpsensor.thumb.jpg.a3bb84a262b34243e84ae19481aa678c.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I have not gotten a kit in my possession yet but my guess is it will be designed around the fact that the 05/06 has been upgraded to top feed, now whether the fittings will go with the an line connector is to be seen. Again thats just a guess since 1 kit for 05-09.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

Im not sure but the software itself is not not written so the hardware does nothing for the auto....sucks i know.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply.

As a tuner you surly do know that it is possible to flash a manual ROM onto and auto ECU without any issues (I have done this myself after researching on romraider forums).

What stops me from doing that and taking advantage of this kit?

So there seems to be a question about if this does or does not come with a fuel pressure regulator. I understand that it has an option to come with or without the fuel pressure sensor, but was curious if I needed to upgrade the FPR or not when going top feed or flex fuel, and it seems like the Cobb FF kit comes with that?
05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

So there seems to be a question about if this does or does not come with a fuel pressure regulator. I understand that it has an option to come with or without the fuel pressure sensor, but was curious if I needed to upgrade the FPR or not when going top feed or flex fuel, and it seems like the Cobb FF kit comes with that?

The kit for our cars comes with a fuel pressure regulator, yes. That appears to be why it's $200 more than the kits for other cars. The fuel pressure kit is extra.

Sparkey - the stock fuel pressure regulator is replaced with the fpr in cobbs kit so if you are not running an aftermarket fpr you will end up having an easy install with the provided parts in the kit .

Let me know when your ready to place the order and we are happy to get you taken care of.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As a tuner you surly do know that it is possible to flash a manual ROM onto and auto ECU without any issues (I have done this myself after researching on romraider forums).

This is not something that cobb can do from a business standpoint for quite a few reasons. If people take it into thier own hands to flash roms from other vehicles onto their ecu and potentially cause a bricked computer in the process thats thier option. It is not possible on all mt/auto roms which means its not guaranteed to work without minor or major issues up to and including bricking the ecu or having issues with drivability etc.

We cannot promote this as we have not done the testing to feel comfortable putting customer cars in jeopardy. We will only do this with KNOWN compatible ecu's such as the 04 sti/04 fxt.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

^^ this ^^ Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived