LegacyGT.com

Solgt's "Sleeper Status" Build Thread

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any 08+ STI cam has the keyway/slot for the oil scanvenger pump, it isn't a lobe at all. I will try to find a picture of it.

I have never seen actuator for the oil scavenger pump. I knew that the 08 STI cams had that, but wasn't sure if the aftermarket cams include that.

I have never seen actuator for the oil scavenger pump. I knew that the 08 STI cams had that, but wasn't sure if the aftermarket cams include that.

I'm not 100% on this but I believe the STI uses it for a sensor or something.

I had to edit this, I found the post in the roadblocks thread and it was S2baru who had the cams machined, they were GSC stage 1 cams for 08+. I am gonna try to dig into this a little more as I was looking for a cam upgrade. I will chat with a few shops close to me and see what they say.

Edited by FLlegacy

I'm not 100% on this but I believe the STI uses it for a sensor or something.

I had to edit this, I found the post in the roadblocks thread and it was S2baru who had the cams machined, they were GSC stage 1 cams for 08+. I am gonna try to dig into this a little more as I was looking for a cam upgrade. I will chat with a few shops close to me and see what they say.

So after a couple conversations with some Subaru Techs they both confirmed the USDM STI does not use the drive slot in the cam at all. It is apparently for another market, but ever present on the US model probably cost saving via part sharing. So I would infer USDM aftermarket cams will not have the slot necessary to drive the oil pump on our cars and would need to be machined for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i had this exhaust leak I sourced to a manifold nut had backed off. Hard to tell by visually inspecting. Sorted it out and took for test drive. Sounded great, afr little off but good. Got to home stretch (less than a mile from home), when some thing broke. I just let clutch out to engage 2nd after making a right. Immediately looked at Acessport and numbers good. So that left trans. Sound was clanging grind. Push clutch in no sound. Inverse noise return. Parked in nice neighborhood, walked home with my 3yr son. I initially thought it was the clutch fork. But the shifter moved and possibly engage. That tells me the trans has possibly had enough. Or one of the gears rather. So there's that.

Hey i got to drive it in boost for 4 months! Qwhat a great time that was! Smiles per gallon- check and double check.

Some other new parts I installed were; Gecko street coilovers and camber plates, R1 concepts geomet slotted rotors f/r, Akebono pro-act pads f/r Have Goodridge ss brake lines yet to be installed.

I added +1 to the factory setting for the coilovers and it rides so much better than just springs on oe struts. The spring rate stiffness is a tad higher than i like but, the dividends (wife likes the compliance the the highway) sells it self. Across the board from acceleration to stopping and cornering has been drastically improved the use of my 22-24mm sway bars The brakes are just what's needed. I slow down now faster than most with barely pushing the pedal. Push harder and you're stopping now. I mean dam check the rear view so i dont get hit. Fade? Havent gone to that level of need so i can't tell.

This is the first car I've owned that surpassed 100k with the original rotors front and rear! All i did was change pads! Actual was 109800. Almost 110k. Blown away.

Maybe a internal transmission issue. Might need a sti swap lol. Wish me luck guys. My wallet is gonna need it[emoji87][emoji86][emoji85][emoji16][emoji16]

When I lost a gear - it would not allow me to shift into it while driving. Now, sitting still with engine off - I could shift just fine. I could still drive the car - just would skip 3rd.

When they drained the trans out popped a tooth! I too managed 180k miles on the trans. Not to bad! Good luck. I settled with a full rebuild of the gears. Also will be slapping on the Trans brace for just added "luck". Hey, if I can get another 180k out of the next one - fine with me!

When I lost a gear - it would not allow me to shift into it while driving. Now, sitting still with engine off - I could shift just fine. I could still drive the car - just would skip 3rd.

When they drained the trans out popped a tooth! I too managed 180k miles on the trans. Not to bad! Good luck. I settled with a full rebuild of the gears. Also will be slapping on the Trans brace for just added "luck". Hey, if I can get another 180k out of the next one - fine with me!

Sounds much easier and cheaper than the STi swap. Although, maybe not as much fun...? With all the luck i have had with mine, I'm keeping this in mind as a possible issue in the future... hopefully the distant future.:)

Good luck solgt and I hope it's the cheaper of the options for you.

Sounds much easier and cheaper than the STi swap. Although, maybe not as much fun...? With all the luck i have had with mine, I'm keeping this in mind as a possible issue in the future... hopefully the distant future.:)

Good luck solgt and I hope it's the cheaper of the options for you.

I am debating this myself, I want to be prepared for the future but who knows...the sti swap sounds great, lol. But if the price of fuel skyrockets in 4 or 5 years that will be an afterthought for sure. I might let a shop deal with it if I don't have time. I also think I may have settled on future power mods, but I am going to keep it to myself for now, :p

Sorry to hear about your issues solgt hopefully you find your path forward quickly and get back to enjoying your GT on the road.

Solgt-Sorry for your troubles. Trust me I know the feeling. Just food for thought. Not sure what your rebuild will cost or what islandborn paid for his rebuild, but the Sti swap cost me just under 5k. That was me doing all the Fab work myself, but still not too pricey for what you get. Edited by BBPeik

Thanks guys. It happened on a gorgeous day. Temp mid 70s, made walking home fun for us.

Rebuilding the trans this year as an option maybe be leaving. I hadn't seen this coming and no backup money is there. Most likely I'll be parking it in the garage till this fall maybe and revisit it. Thankfully I have a spare car that needs a little brake fix and good to go.

Just starting the car in neutral made horrible sounds the one time i did after i parked. Thought of engaging a gear made me cringe. Didn't want to chance it breaking more.

Its at Andrewtech for now as they look it over to make sure it's internal. Hopefully resources become available for the rebuild soon. Till then.... Thanks guys.

If the clutch fork broke, the angry noises you heard trying to start the car in neutral could have just been the fork dragging against the back of the pressure plate. There's a good chance you'd be able to see what's going on in there if you pull the rubber boot off the transmission where the fork comes through to the slave cylinder. If that's it, you might not even have to drop the trans to fix the issue, just slide it back far enough to get at the fork.

• 2 weeks later...