LegacyGT.com

Solgt's "Sleeper Status" Build Thread

It really is not too hard. From my short drive it seemed to work great. When I get the axles back I will know for sure, but seems like a worth while upgrade. A newer setup should work the same.

Right on. I'm looking for parts based from your thread, which is awesome quantified sir, so i can have a bulletproof daily weapon.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason for engine failure is user error. I didn't check the oil level as needed. No oil for the main bearings will b bad happen.

In my defense i drove to two funerals four hours away for close family and then my sons surgery all in three weeks. Nobody's fault but mine.

That out of the way. The engine will be built with all the goodies except for a closed deck and sleeves. From the crank to cams.

A sleeved motor is overkill for 350, at least according to my wallet. I'm guessing sleeves would add about $1000 to the cost. That's roughly the cost of going closed deck for the sake of comparison. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody who would drop an additional grand on a motor when you're only making 350. I think even conservative builders would consider sleeves or closed deck not appropriate until you're at 450-500 on the low end.

A sleeved motor is overkill for 350, at least according to my wallet. I'm guessing sleeves would add about $1000 to the cost. That's roughly the cost of going closed deck for the sake of comparison. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody who would drop an additional grand on a motor when you're only making 350. I think even conservative builders would consider sleeves or closed deck not appropriate until you're at 450-500 on the low end.

Good to know, the one car I personally know with a sleeved block is sigmafour but he is definitely in the high 400's. I guess I understood 350 and up to be sleeved, but if you're 350-425 and a sleeve is overkill, is there additional strength to be had in another form or basically the block should handle it?

From my understanding the block is capable handling that power. Take into consideration are you going to track your car a lot, drag strip etc. If so you may want those sleeves. Take that into account along with your budget\timeline.

I don't think too many daily driver 500whp Subarus are very common, are there dubious claims of that much power...all over the internet of course. IMO trust your builder or go with a trusted name that will stand behind their product.

With all the engine build talk, might it be a good idea to have a thread specific to engine builds/discussions? Maybe even a stickie with info? It would be perfect for all those with questions about it since out platform is somewhat unique.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

I guess one downside to closing the deck vs sleeves would be decreased cooling capabilities. Would a bigger radiator compensate or is cooling permanently diminished?

That is why it is reserved for extreme applications the loss in cooling is in the flow around the cylinders themselves, a radiator upgrade can't fix that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So explain why the closed deck EJ22T block is so popular. It can't just be because of the oil squirters. You can throw 25 psi at the them all day long with longevity.

Because it was designed as a closed deck and the cooling passages were engineered to the required specs. The iron sleeves in a stock block are nowhere near as thick as aftermarket sleeves are and do not retain as much heat or take up as much space in the cooling jackets. Dare I add the ej22 has a smaller bore as well...modifying a cooling passage whether with a sleeve or some kind of cylinder support is going to change the flow dynamics of the cooling system.

And if we are being investigative here if it was such a great engine, why did subaru stop making it...

Edited by FLlegacy

The other thing that may be the most important thing is the quality of the block/crank/rods and machine work, that is why IMO getting it all handled by one place that will stand behind it is more important than a build plan. Consistency in materials and machine work is what you are really paying for with a built engine from a reputable shop.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...