LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I cracked a ringland on #4 in a stock EJ257, running E85 at 21 psi on a 16G. Car was Cryotuned.

Cryo and I talked and he suspects that things might have gotten a little hot when I was chasing down AFR instability while we were tuning, so not necessarily the motor's fault. Obvious signs of the intermediate ring butting, but not the top. When I replaced the pistons with Manleys, the recommended gaps came out to .0235 for standard B bores (mine measured very close to spec because the block only had 35k on it). That and adding the cylinder 4 cooling mod makes me fall asleep a bit easier at night :lol:

Cylinder 4 cooling mod is in the pile of parts already... ;) I am going to look back and see if I can find out what I gapped my CP piston rings to on my 07 build.

**Found it...

I'm going to double check with my machinist when I get a call about it, I'll give him the bore spec on my piston sheet which is 3.927 and the pistons are 3.924 and see what he says. Either way I don't think the noise will bother me if there is any.

I would think the only way to quite them down would be to do a skirt coating but then I would think you would have to take that thickness into consideration when sizing... then after that wears off you'd have worse clearance... LOL I may just leave it as it is and match what CP says to do, and I know if the fit is a bit tight it's not the end of the world since I will not be running this thing under excessively high load/long WOT duration and excess heat which is where most of the clearance numbers come into play big time.

Now for ring gap I have numbers of .0215 for the top ring and .0255-.0295 for the second ring... That's using CP's chart for Turbo applications. Sound good?

Their formula is (Bore in Inch) x .0055" for top and second is .004"-.008" larger than top

Boy was I wrong about the forged piston noise not bothering me... LMAO!

Yeah the turbo application has the largest top ring gap, the others are bore x .0045" for street/hi performance, and bore x .005" for drag racing road racing.

I was thinking of doing the .0215 for the top then .0275 for the second so its right in the middle of their range.

I may at least check the stock ones and go from there.

I'll just be happy that this engine wont sound like it has a bad lifter or is a diesel... the forged build is getting old... lol

Edited by B-BGTLimited
Added ring gaps from CP

A few years back I had the fuel pump housing assemble replaced when the fuel tank was replaced along with the fuel filler pipe.

The other day someone on the Outback Forum had a discussion about the filter in the housing. So after a few years in the basement I cut the top off the old housing, here's the filter.

Sorry I didn't pull it all the way out.

DSCN8783.thumb.JPG.e84f37ac69617ab48ae9d00550187540.JPG

I recently replaced the filter in my 86 Ford F150, 140,000 miles and 35 years on that filter it had been drying out in the shed for at least 8 day's.

DSCN8986.thumb.JPG.ee7ccebdda4cf395e408b33617c17f6a.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes pump housing/filter is brand new on this setup... (my 06 Legacy GT I'm building)

Similar filter as yours, from my wife's 1986 Ford Bronco II... The whole fuel system was replaced when I found this... LMAO, it also explained its really bad hesitation..

attachment.php?attachmentid=289725&stc=1&d=1611259518

Inside the tank

attachment.php?attachmentid=289723&stc=1&d=1611259860

Edited by B-BGTLimited

Yes pump housing/filter is brand new on this setup...

Filter from my wife's 1986 Ford Bronco II... The whole fuel system was replaced when I found this... LMAO, it also explained its really bad hesitation..

attachment.php?attachmentid=289725&stc=1&d=1611259518

Inside the tank

attachment.php?attachmentid=289723&stc=1&d=1611259860

No its fuel reservoir is on the inside for the frame rail, The truck had started to stumble when I put my right foot down. All better now, ended up buying a new Ford filter $78.00 shipped.

DSCN8872.thumb.JPG.4fae2b8f4a7568e8fca4f5e372abceaa.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Same location as the Bronco II, I updated my post to clarify. :)

I was surprised at how easy it was to disconnect the fuel lines just pry up the plastic U clips, pull them out, slide the line off the nipples. The new housing, I put a small coat of Vaseline on the nipples and slide the old o-rings and line back on. Primed the fuel system, truck started right up and now runs great.

Here's some eye candy for all of you...LOL.

DSCN8699.thumb.JPG.d5576406009549ec57a67a72cd228b46.JPG

Well actually it was built in Canada Nov 1985 based on the door jam sticker. Dad bought it used in 1990, we put a Ford create motor 302EFI in it Sept 1991, old motor had rod knock, that was at 96,000 miles, truck now has 139,000 miles. Yeah that's 40,000 in the last 30 years...

They are easier to fix and lot's of support for them. Just make sure it has a good frame.

I'm surprised at what the prices are for these old trucks in nice condition. $7-8000.

madrig blue carbon fiber hood scoop purchased! Excited to get that installed.

Pulled my center console the whole way up to the stereo the other day. The scratches and dings are ugly. Gonna sand everything smooth and refinish, maybe tomorrow.

madrig blue carbon fiber hood scoop purchased! Excited to get that installed.

Pulled my center console the whole way up to the stereo the other day. The scratches and dings are ugly. Gonna sand everything smooth and refinish, maybe tomorrow.

show some before after pics.

Used some headgasket stop leak in hopes that I can get another month or two out of my stock motor.

Wrapped my A pillars and almost ready to do the tan to black upper interior swap. Although I may wait till after the motor is dropped in

Picked up most of the OEM parts for my motor rebuild, need to make a decision on pistons, and will hopefully be getting a good qoute on some brand new oem D25 heads tomorrow.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Wagon has early signs of bearing failure. I keep winning all the prizes in sequence. I'm shooting for having to pull the motor 10 times in 2 years - halfway there.

I'm just gonna start sending you messages with really weird engines to swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a wagon with a 1JZ the other day... How quickly do you think we can blow that up?

My current record is 900 miles on a block and 600 on a trans. Not that either were new or in good shape.

1jz. Rwd. So predictable. It's a subaru! Awd and weird engines are where it's at! I'm just saying the first Gen toureg had a longitudinal vr6.

Please note I've never swapped anything into anything. I have no idea what I'm talking about. But awfulwaffle likes to remind me he owns a welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk