LegacyGT.com

So I recently had my car tuned and it made 306/375 with a vf52 on a mustang dyno. Since it’s been nice I have been driving it a little more and it’s already starting to dull. I went cruising with my buddy in his Rsx type s yesterday and it didn’t seem like I was much faster than his stock car. Big sad. He def got me in the corners too. Legacy just feels like a boat sometimes. My question is. What stock location turbo is going to get me 400/400 to the wheels. That is the max I really want to go because I don’t plan on building the block and I am running a slightly built 5eat trans. I have looked up rotated turbos and it is a lot of money to switch everything now and I wont be able to throw some monster turbo on it anyway. I would like a stock location vf style connection. I saw a Garrett 3076r from atp turbo that would probably get me there. That runs about $1800 bucks. Any other options out there that would get me where I want to be? Also will I still be able to use my same aftermarket inlet with these larger turbos?

I know there are turbo threads but they kind of trail off to irrelevant subjects and I am tired of searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I recently had my car tuned and it made 306/375 with a vf52 on a mustang dyno. Since it’s been nice I have been driving it a little more and it’s already starting to dull. I went cruising with my buddy in his Rsx type s yesterday and it didn’t seem like I was much faster than his stock car.

I have raced my friend's 278hp Accord V6 with my 292whp Legacy GT and I pulled about 4 cars on him from 60-90mph on a Mexican highway. I bet at lower speeds that do not include a launch, it would be much closer especially if he got slight jump, maybe car or so. You have more HP than I do and RSX has less hp, I would expect your car to be quite noticeable faster on a highway roll. At lower speeds with the delays of an 5EAT automatic downshifting (especially if your friend is driving his car hard to show up the faster car) I can see it being closer at speed below 60mph if your in the chase position with him getting a slight jump.

A Legacy is AWD, its advantage is traction off the line. At high speeds, you have the driveline losses and extra weight of AWD. EJ255 don't make 400whp easily. It isn't just a bigger turbo, its a tune, (perhaps injectors), reduced reliability, etc. Do you have E85 in your area? You might be able to make the fueling changes and tune it for that.

Personally, I would not spend a couple $k my car just to beat a buddy's car. I have friend from high school that we have a friendly competition of who has the faster car that has been going on almost 30 years now. I have had my day, he has had his days. I fully expect that once his Accord comes of lease later this year, he is going to buy something that is faster for his daily. I am not going to spend any more money on my Legacy GT. Same goes for my toy car.

Yeah we didn’t do any side by side pulls but I just didn’t seem much faster. I would obv tune right after I got the turbo. I already have a 320 lph pump and 1050x injectors. I just feel like I want a little more. Not just to beat him. I just noticed it yesterday.

Just my $.02 but there are many other platforms that will perform as good or better than our Legacies. That said, I didn't buy mine for the all out performance aspect as I have a toy car for those times of need. I bought my car because I liked the look, wanted an AWD all year car that had air, cruise, etc. This car meets all of that and goes down the road quite well.

Someone out there is always willing to spend more money and will have a faster car. The amount of money you would have to sink to get 400whp to have other issues such as transmissions, differentials, fueling, rattling dash boards....doesn't seem very cost effective. Great cars but not worth that. Go find a Camaro or Mustang, SS, G8.....something V8 and rwd that you can make power and have fun with. To each their own....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Just my $.02 but there are many other platforms that will perform as good or better than our Legacies. That said, I didn't buy mine for the all out performance aspect as I have a toy car for those times of need. I bought my car because I liked the look, wanted an AWD all year car that had air, cruise, etc. This car meets all of that and goes down the road quite well.

Someone out there is always willing to spend more money and will have a faster car. The amount of money you would have to sink to get 400whp to have other issues such as transmissions, differentials, fueling, rattling dash boards....doesn't seem very cost effective. Great cars but not worth that. Go find a Camaro or Mustang, SS, G8.....something V8 and rwd that you can make power and have fun with. To each their own....

You have a point. Spend all this money just to be unreliable and blow up when I could go buy some jdm monster or other platform and just go to town. This isnt my daily, just a fun car but I do see what you are saying.

Dom 1.5 would get you there, but your transmission won't live through the experiance unless the torque curce is extreamly conservative.

+/-300WHP is considered about the "normal" limit for the 5EAT, but it's really a torque limited device. So if you want to go down the big turbo route you'll have to clamp torque down low at or below your current level while adding it up top. Your car wont FEEL any faster if you do this (you preceve torque), but it'll extend your power band to redline ish.

Edit: Also you'll NEED to be open source tuned so you can tell the TCU that you're making that additional power. Cobb does not have access to that table.

Edited by utc_pyro

I think where you're at you could possibly get to 400 torque if you went to E85 but I haven't looked that much into it. As far as those numbers, you are going to be at the "safe limit" for the block.

I would agree that if you're going for numbers and acceleration, other cars would get you there alot easier. Subarus generally aren't the best straight-line cars. I usually enjoy mine the most when I'm whipping it around backroads. Not quite a miata or wrx hatchback, but I do enjoy how these cars handle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Take it from a guy that had an 03 RSX type S 6MT, full K-tuned ECU, K-tuned 500 billet shifter housing for a track car, FBO, light weight, and only every kept 1/4 gas or a bit ore in the car, lol Man you would have never caught me or pulled me.

I can't tell you how many WRX/STI that I took down or tied with in mexico. They always tried a 60-70 Roll and I would go down to 3 gear revving at 5600 and my redline was 8600 rpm where my power was at. I would slowing walk away :lol:

Like the rest said I would not dump the money into it. The cars where I live what I notice is people seem to finally get a so called quick car, put axel back and wheels and thats all they can afford. I am that guy that will go the extra 10 miles and get all the parts

I still have my eye on an FBO E85 (R35 GTR) track edition :spin:. 700 HP in those cars is considered weak but for me would be great lol

Do you also realize your car is about a 800lbs heavier then the RSX ?

You might be better off to get a EG Civic, put a GT35R on it and go make Supra's look slow.

My son can say, "been there, done that". Gee, that was about 15 years ago. Just have to control the wheel spin in the top end of each gear on the highway. ;)

It will open your eye's when the tries begin to spin in the top end of 4th gear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You might be better off to get a EG Civic, put a GT35R on it and go make Supra's.

I have actually been thinking about getting a civic project car now that you mention it

I have actually been thinking about getting a civic project car now that you mention it

Light weight, lot's of support out there.

But thinking about it, hindsight, it's much easy to make HP with a V8, rear wheel drive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Got it, Go find your self a nice used 03-04 Terminator cobra (6MT). With a tune, Long tubes, MAC Intake, Pullie, and bigs (ET streets in the back) you will crush him.
Best answer yet.

Got it, Go find your self a nice used 03-04 Terminator cobra (6MT). With a tune, Long tubes, MAC Intake, Pullie, and bigs (ET streets in the back) you will crush him.

Best answer yet.

I'll have to agree with that.

OP, you'll find we are good at spending other peoples money...;)

400/400 in an auto? figure 15k to make it worth doing. You'll have a car thats a pain in the butt. Much more maintenance, too.

v8 chevy/ford is going to be much cheaper. The first time you get throttle oversteer, you'll be looking for suspension mods. Or you could get an already modified rsx?

I'll have to agree with that.

OP, you'll find we are good at spending other peoples money...;)

Haha I see that. I’m gonna keep my legacy but I’ve been browsing around all day looking for new ideas for a new car. Also toying with the idea of importing something but not sure if I even want to get involved with that.