LegacyGT.com

DIY Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Walk-through w/.pdf

I find the hardest part is getting the 4 bolts back into the new hub, just trying to line up the threads. But I'm 57 y/o and don't see so well in low light conditions.

I am having an incredibly hard time threading these 4 bolts on a new hub assembly. I have tried putting the 4 bolts in their holes through the backing plate and then holding the hub assembly in one hand and reaching around the back with a socket extension with a 14mm socket.

Are there any other tricks or tips on getting these to align and thread?

Are the wheel bearing assemblies the same for the rear driver side and rear passenger side? (perhaps the bolt pattern is off -- I am looking for where I put the old hub bearing assembly to check compatibility -- I do think I did this when I first started this project..

Any suggestions to get these bolts aligned is appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe finding a helping hand to hold the hub assembly while you maneuver from the other side. Or vice-versa?

Have you tried threading the bolts in the hubs without them on the car just to be sure everything does fit? Not trying to be a smart ass, just running through what I would try.

Maybe poke some narrower bolts through a couple of the holes just to get them generally aligned and try to get a proper one threaded? Once you get one, the others should be easier, I reckon.

All I got right now.

Thank you @Richard T for these ideas. I like the idea of a second person to help. I did test the bolts in the threads and did put some "locating" smaller bolts, however, will try that again with some that hold it tighter in place.

• 9 months later...

Having trouble getting the 4 14mm bolts off from the back.. is there a way to get at the threads from the other side so I can get some PB Blaster at it?

Edit: think I figured it out, have to disassemble the e-brake.

Edited by Claw