LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Was there a particular reason other than cost that lead you to use anything other than OEM? I personally would be afraid to run them, especially if they can't determine with certainty why they failed in the first place.

Originally it was cost and only good reviews.

After my experience, I'm now running NGK coils from RockAuto ($60 ea), which are Diamond Electric (aka OEM).

They said they don't know why they failed, and said they had never seen two in a row fail. I had one that I though failed earlier this year, but it was one month out of warranty. So I had to buy a new one to replace, and I bought two just in case. In the next four months, another old one and both new ones failed. :spin:

If they had all failed, I would be tempted to blame something in my electrical, but I didn't kill the other two old ones. And the NGKs seem to be good. Maybe time will tell... Maybe I got a bad batch from them, who knows.:confused:

I've been trying to determine if removing the OEM navigation will create any issues. As it stands the nav unit controls the OEM alarm sensitivity which leads me to believe removing it will undoubtedly create issues. Has anyone here successfully removed the OEM navigation with no ill effects?

Thanks

Does anyone have a walkthrough for motor mount replacement?

Also I’m looking for a black 3rd brake light for the rear deck if anyone has one laying around.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I'm trying to get more info from them about what state they are in and what they think might have happened. I know they had degraded to the point of almost constant misfires, not sure if they were out of sync or just didn't fire.

They are offering to replace two of them under warranty and send back the working two for a set of four; but I'm not totally sure I want any of them back.

Maybe something fried one bank?

Probably most likely that you got a bad batch.

Today I just bought an ej20x and readying for the swap. I wish I could do it but time is of the essence!! Purchased a Clutchxperts stage 2 set up as well. I dont know why I keep thinking I could own a savings account owning a Subbie....

It's finally happening! Tow truck picked up the car this afternoon. Just talked with the shop, they're going to plumb the Derale trans thermostat & cooler, and install my Fluidampr too!

Been messing with the dampening settings on the JDM coils. Still stuck on full stiff in the front drivers side strut because I accidentally put too much force on it with an Allen wrench before trying to clean the threads first. I tried buying a Tein clicker knob assembly but the thread pitch is wrong. I might try to fuse them together somehow if I can get the retaining clip off this tiny little screw apparatus.

Drove it around pretty hard tonight. Cam seal oil leak may be getting a little worse. The smell of burning oil is getting pretty prominent after shutting the car off and I can see where it’s dripping into the exhaust manifold. My temporary solution is aluminum high temp tape on the exhaust manifold to prevent the oil from being trapped between the heat shields and more likely to brush off with the wind. Seems to be working so far. I am lagging on the cam seal replacement because I want to package it in with installing my Moroso oil pan and new Group N engine mounts. Also still waiting on my STI genome exhaust to come by this Saturday. Also got my Whiteline rear control arms in the mail. Not so excited to install them based on what others have said about the install. Might get it installed this weekend at the same time as the exhaust.

Edited by Notorious

Also got my Whiteline rear control arms in the mail. Not so excited to install them based on what others have said about the install. Might get it installed this weekend at the same time as the exhaust.

I am going to farm out WL rear control arms along with JDM aluminum rear arms to a shop. After looking at it and reading about it I don't want to end up with car on stands with something stuck frozen.

One thing I am going to do along the rear aluminum arms is install new rear dust shields, the ones where parking brake sits. Had them rust through at the bottom and already replaced rear left one recently when I did the wheel bearing. Sprayed it with marine corrosion inhibitor day before and let it dry before putting it on the car. Hope that lasts another 14 years.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I've been trying to determine if removing the OEM navigation will create any issues. As it stands the nav unit controls the OEM alarm sensitivity which leads me to believe removing it will undoubtedly create issues. Has anyone here successfully removed the OEM navigation with no ill effects?

Thanks

No issue removing the OEM nav unit. You'll lose access to modifying the settings it provides (dome light, defroster timing, alarm beeps, etc.), but the settings are stored in the BIU and will remain as they were configured before removing the nav unit (even after power loss).

Man, if I had the ability to rent a garage with a lift and air tools for a day.. I'd save so much time and money, installing all the part I've spent so much money on.

Finally getting my specB tuned properly, install my DP this week and start working with Dave on some maps.

Always thought that'd be a good business plan. Multiple garage bays with lifts and air tools for DIYers. Simple hourly rental fee and option to bring your own tools or rent ones in-house. Insurance/litigation costs would likely be astronomical but it could work. Don't know if they exist, though

Edit: Appears Garagetime does this in a sort of AirBNB fashion with limited locations

Edited by amm203

Always thought that'd be a good business plan. Multiple garage bays with lifts and air tools for DIYers. Simple hourly rental fee and option to bring your own tools or rent ones in-house. Insurance/litigation costs would likely be astronomical but it could work. Don't know if they exist, though

Edit: Appears Garagetime does this in a sort of AirBNB fashion with limited locations

Oh, you mean like the Auto Hobby Shop on a Military Base ? Do they still have those if anyone on here is a recent veteran.

I remember working with friends until the early morning hours at George AFB back in the late 1970's then get a few hours sleep before we headed off to the drag strip.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ordered up the i88 harness for the new stereo. Also saw that my BL Quickjacks are in and ready for pick up. Wish I had room for a proper lift.

Anybody by chance know where I could get these brackets? My double din kit seems to be lacking them. May have to just fab a set that'll work.

48546425787_bdede95f7d_o.jpg

Ordered up the i88 harness for the new stereo. Also saw that my BL Quickjacks are in and ready for pick up. Wish I had room for a proper lift.

Anybody by chance know where I could get these brackets? My double din kit seems to be lacking them. May have to just fab a set that'll work.

Source?

Aren't those the brackets that are already on the factory stereo? Or are they different in someway?

They sure look very similar to the OEM ones on eBay for $20...

Are they? haven't removed mine yet. I just noticed they were pictured in the install thread and on the AVO site with the kit. I was going to dig in once the harness arrived but figured I would want them before commencing.

In Kirkland Wasington they have a place called Stew's Garage. They have the bays, the lifts and the tools. If one is a good mechanic (I am not at all). It would probally be a great deal. They charge 65 an hour. Not a bad price. I swapped my rotors and calipers in the place. It took me all day.

I did have fun doing it. So in the end I won.

Cheers,

Oh, you mean like the Auto Hobby Shop on a Military Base ? Do they still have those if anyone on here is a recent veteran.

I remember working with friends until the early morning hours at George AFB back in the late 1970's then get a few hours sleep before we headed off to the drag strip.

There's still one at Hanscom AFB in MA, to my knowledge. I used that once when I used to work on base to swap suspension on my old car. Rates were dirt cheap ($4/hr for the lift bays, $2/hr for a bay with no lift, sockets/tools/pneumatics included!), but needed access to the base, so either military, civilian workers, or employees of MIT Lincoln Labs only.

This is the type of business that makes it possible for me to do work on the wagon ever since I moved to a different state and into an apartment. I used to rotate between 3 abandoned parking lots with all my tools/jackstands and make do, but no way I could do something like parting a car or building up my spare motor that way. Can't say enough good things about the place. The owner Jay is a good guy, would probably be able to help highlight some of the challenges and tricky details if you reached out to him.

http://mymechanicsplace.com/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2019/04/20/diy-auto-repair-saves-thousands/3473380002/