LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Trans is almost done. Drove it from Detroit to Milwaukee and now it makes a nasty whirr/rattle full time instead of intermittently, in addition to the horrible grind on decel. Picking up a 60k replacement on the way back in Chicago this Sunday, and dumping trans honey into this one in the meantime. I'm a gambling man, apparently.

Aren't the split case 6 speeds more or less our 5 speeds with an extra gear set shoved into the transfer case and cable actuation instead of a solid linkage? If dimensions are the same and the trans tunnel isn't smaller for some reason idk why it wouldn't work.

I'm nearly positive that's the case. It LOOKS extremely similar. And it's an ej253 just like the 4th Gen na motors. It's also got a motor mount on the front of the car.

No mechanic can get to it and I know many guys on here have newer model subies for dd's. We got the parts though and a FSM and more help than I'm used to so I'm going for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does look good. I have a qsm instead of a bsm outback. I've still thought about it a whole lot.

My car looks just like tysparks81's car (Silver in color) but an 06 and I am going with this color :spin::eek:

picture.php?albumid=2746&pictureid=12579

Edited by NORULZleggy
Sorry I meant tysparks81 car the Silver car

I'm nearly positive that's the case. It LOOKS extremely similar. And it's an ej253 just like the 4th Gen na motors. It's also got a motor mount on the front of the car.

No mechanic can get to it and I know many guys on here have newer model subies for dd's. We got the parts though and a FSM and more help than I'm used to so I'm going for it.

We have 2010 OB 6MT, and I changed clutch and did HG when I was forced to deal with dead TOB 2 years ago, just around this time of the year actually.

Should have some pics. The 6 MT tranny internally is similar to 05-09 with extra gear, so same as specB. The case is different though as tranny is now the main mounting element, has two side arms (for lack of better word) that are mounted to body via tall rubber mounts. Engine bolts up to tranny and uses the extra front mount you mentioned. I was checking that all out when I had a wild idea of swapping STI 6MT into 2013 OB with 3.6.

As for the failed TOB, it was failing gradually over a month period, initial signs were smell of hot metal and softer clutch pedal. It was getting gradually worse with extra burning plastic, until it died on me when the pedal just went to the floor. Luckily I was 2 miles away from home on quiet road and was able to limp home.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I try and avoid driving my wagon beyond my 200 mile AAA tow limit :spin:. Left me stranded twice over 8 years. Not worth the risk. I did take it out for its weekly joy ride this morning. Excellent as usual.

Pulling the motor from my buddies 05 ABP 5MT wagon tomorrow. He has an IAG block inbound for it. Should be a great wagon when all put back together.

Drove Bessie for the first time in over two years today. I can't recall all of the things I did, but to list a few: Southbend stage II clutch and SMFW, new front axles, Killer B oil pan, Dom cylinder 4 cooling mod, Whiteline rear/caster camber kit, Ohlins DFV, wrapped headers/downpipe, turbo blanket.

While I was driving today she was popping out of 2nd gear every other shift. I have a Cobb adjustable STS. Related mods might be switching from LWFW to SMFW, new clutch, switching from Group N Trans bushing to OEM.

Anyone have any clues on what I should look into? If this requires pulling the tranny... I don't have the intestinal fortitude to undertake that again. I looked at the Cobb STS installation manual and found nothing in it that suggests any adjustments there would affect this.

Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Drove Bessie for the first time in over two years today. I can't recall all of the things I did, but to list a few: Southbend stage II clutch and SMFW, new front axles, Killer B oil pan, Dom cylinder 4 cooling mod, Whiteline rear/caster camber kit, Ohlins DFV, wrapped headers/downpipe, turbo blanket.

While I was driving today she was popping out of 2nd gear every other shift. I have a Cobb adjustable STS. Related mods might be switching from LWFW to SMFW, new clutch, switching from Group N Trans bushing to OEM.

Anyone have any clues on what I should look into? If this requires pulling the tranny... I don't have the intestinal fortitude to undertake that again. I looked at the Cobb STS installation manual and found nothing in it that suggests any adjustments there would affect this.

I would actually adjust the cobb sts. It may be hitting something and is easy to check. Adjust the handle to the tallest setting and the bottom half to a shorter setting. It'll make shifts crappy but you can test if it's that and then make small adjustments from there. Also be sure the bolt from sts to fork isn't too tight.

We have 2010 OB 6MT, and I changed clutch and did HG when I was forced to deal with dead TOB 2 years ago, just around this time of the year actually.

Should have some pics. The 6 MT tranny internally is similar to 05-09 with extra gear, so same as specB. The case is different though as tranny is now the main mounting element, has two side arms (for lack of better word) that are mounted to body via tall rubber mounts. Engine bolts up to tranny and uses the extra front mount you mentioned. I was checking that all out when I had a wild idea of swapping STI 6MT into 2013 OB with 3.6.

As for the failed TOB, it was failing gradually over a month period, initial signs were smell of hot metal and softer clutch pedal. It was getting gradually worse with extra burning plastic, until it died on me when the pedal just went to the floor. Luckily I was 2 miles away from home on quiet road and was able to limp home.

We just finished it about two hours ago. Tranny had to come all the way out due to that different mounting. Used it as an excuse for tools. I got a tranny jack to bring back home and my dad got an impact metric set. He has a little battery torque driver he'd never used and it was great.

Everything actually went fairly smooth. Some tool issues due to my dad normally working on domestics. But engine came apart smooth and nothing is leaking when back together. Cv joints weren't too difficult. It was good practice to do mine when it gets warm.

That TOB was DESTROYED. Inner sleeve was off and the face of the bearing was deformed. Need to grab pictures. Not much life left on the clutch either. Not the ideal way to spend vacation but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it some. Three of us working on it and my dad doing stuff while I did parts runs made it so much easier.

We just finished it about two hours ago. Tranny had to come all the way out due to that different mounting. Used it as an excuse for tools. I got a tranny jack to bring back home and my dad got an impact metric set. He has a little battery torque driver he'd never used and it was great.

Everything actually went fairly smooth. Some tool issues due to my dad normally working on domestics. But engine came apart smooth and nothing is leaking when back together. Cv joints weren't too difficult. It was good practice to do mine when it gets warm.

That TOB was DESTROYED. Inner sleeve was off and the face of the bearing was deformed. Need to grab pictures. Not much life left on the clutch either. Not the ideal way to spend vacation but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it some. Three of us working on it and my dad doing stuff while I did parts runs made it so much easier.

It's nice to be working as a team, my son (it is his 2010 OB) helped me all the way through. I pulled the engine instead of pulling the tranny, have to say it's way easier to do on 2010 and up due to different engine mounting.

Yours was an emergency repair from what I understand, we had some time so I got Exedy clutch kit FJK1004 and TSK1 TOB kit. Here are some pics, including OEM TOB completely gone.

I added new fork too. Cleaned and re-greased tranny snout as Pual GTTUNER taught me few years back when he was swapping my original clutch and I was helping him around.

OEM TOB 1:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281626&stc=1&d=1577634950

OEM TOB 2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281627&stc=1&d=1577634950

OEM TOB 3:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281630&stc=1&d=1577635295

TSK 1 KIT:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281628&stc=1&d=1577635295

New fork, snout cleaned and regreased, TSK 1 installed:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281629&stc=1&d=1577635295

0108171919b_small.thumb.jpg.d042aecf0d04145477c80b0ad196d8ea.jpg

0108171919_small.thumb.jpg.7d181a464973497972222da43121fb94.jpg

0121171629a_small.thumb.jpg.f971ad10c5a71fea3c4d1cd423536da2.jpg

0122171118_small.thumb.jpg.90c6ef5f5c71ebdc62fc90869c58fa24.jpg

0108171919c_small.thumb.jpg.555d1f51372870ac56f51b092db9faa6.jpg

Edited by SubOperator
typos

Yea working as a team is great and I've always liked having my dad's help. Both my grand dad's were mechanics so it sort of runs in the family.

Yea we were first kin to an emergency but luckily the dealer had the tsk bearing kit. We also did a new clutch fork and pivot ball. Greased everything. Couldn't get a pcv, trans mount, or the seals for the neutral and reverse switches.

I can certainly see how that engine comes out easier and without all the turbo stuff it's not as much hose routing.

8e96e29f98eb4979c86ff746738660e5.jpg21b302d2ac0dd05bbffc9fcf7358ed47.jpg

New timing kit, heads decked and new head gaskets, new front stabilizer links, new plugs, new oil and filter, new air filter, new PCV, new water pump and thermostat, new coolant, cleaned throttle body and plenum, new VVT solenoids, new cam and crank seals.

All Gates, Aisin , NGK and Subaru parts, total $765.36. A little know how, Youtube and a good set of tools really pays off. Now I can call this new (Used) car my own. Oh and yes, it runs great, got 34 mpg hwy, and 24 city so far.

Working on installing JDM folding mirrors with purple grampus lights.

I had to repin the connectors as the JDM mirrors had 10-pin connectors and my USDM are 8-pin.

After much study, I figured out which two wires are for the folding mechanism.

I've got them installed with everything but the folding part. I still have to run the wiring through the doors.

I like the subtle look of the white covers, makes the A-pillar look a little more substantial.

Didn't swap the glass, the JDM glass on the driver's side is just right at the limit of it's adjustment.

I like it better than the stock USDM.

IMG_7016.thumb.JPG.260ea693121f3b246d69ce144d4d7f53.JPG

IMG_7017.thumb.JPG.23352d7bfb2da5bfc5528f66f13f21ca.JPG

IMG_7023.thumb.JPG.c39a35c19293e4f7d5dd64c009afa6ce.JPG

IMG_7027.thumb.JPG.4d0666eda96d9dcc01aa810f3cd4d94f.JPG

Got the STI steering wheel installed and did all the wire work to get the cruise and audio controls working this weekend but kicking myself in the ass a little bit. When I hooked the battery back up and turned the key to the accesory on position I was positive the steering wheel controls were lighting up when I turned the headlights on so I went ahead a buttoned up all the panels. When I turned the car on to go for a drive and test the cruise the controls they weren't lighting up and the cruise control buttons didn't work. I also realized that i never ordered the i85 harness from SVX back when I did my JDM double din so the audio controls won't work until I get and install that harness. Steering wheel is also slightly off center to the left. :spin:

I'm going to leave it as is until I can get ahold of SVX and get the harness. Especially annoyed the cruise controls don't work because I broke out the the soldering iron and heat shrink rather than using crimp connectors. Wheel looks much better though.

4 hours from me showing up at my buddies house until the motor was out with the heads off. Not bad. Looks like it had valve clearance issues. Bottom end looked great. Going to pull the piston on #4 to see if it was a ring land. Cylinder walls were perfect. His IAG motor will be here on the 6th. Heads are off to the machine shop tomorrow.

Needed my wagon's cargo for a small home project the other day. Noticed my inspection was out by 6 months, but I've only driven it I think 1k miles this year.

At inspection now and turns out the DS rear spring is broken. Sheared off at the bottom of the strut. Also the ball joint on the right side is in bad shape. So I'm getting a fail today, and it looks like I'll definitely need a new suspension (100k miles on iON springs and Koni), but I think Gex has me taken care of there.

Hey all,

Just wanted to post somewhere relevant with high traffic for my first post and landed in this thread. For the last 2 years, I have been lurking on these forums to answer all the questions that came with owning/modding my car, an '05 OBXT Ltd. 5MT in GRP. I am the 3rd owner, just rolled 95,000 miles. It is my daily driver, with primary functions of hauling people/dogs/equipment, driving mountain passes to go snowboarding, and masquerading as a race car. It is also my first Subaru, and it definitely puts the fun in functionality! It's the first car I've seriously worked on beyond oil changes/tire rotations, so it has been a learning experience as well. Lurking on here has shown me that I still have much to learn.

Current status/mods

Engine

• Grimmspeed TMIC
  • Catless STI Uppipe
  • Banjo bolt removed
  • Fresh valve cover gaskets + NGK Iridium spark plugs
  • New water pump, timing belt, and radiator @ 90K
  • Stock tune, AP + Stage 1 is on my wishlist

Exhaust

• Nameless axleback (5" muffler)

Wheels

• XXR 531 - 18 x 8.5, +35 offset
  • Nitto NeoGen 235/40/18
  • 20 mm H&R spacers in the rear

Suspension

• BC BR Coilovers (Legacy specific)
  • Front: 25mm Perrin Swaybar
  • Front: MOOG end links
  • Front: Fenders cut/rolled
  • Rear: 20 mm Whiteline Swaybar
  • Rear: Whiteline adjustable end links
  • Rear: AVO Reinforced Mounting Brackets
  • Rear: Fenders cut/rolled

Lighting

• 4300K HIDs
  • LED Turn signals/foglights
  • Diode dynamics flasher relay
  • Headlight amber delete
  • Swapped taillights for 07-09 tails (no updated pics yet)

Exterior

• S204 front lip
  • Mitsubishi Lancer side skirts
  • License plate re-locate
  • RallyArmor mudflaps
  • Custom rain guards
  • Primitive Racing skidplate
  • Window tint (unsure of %, done by previous owner)
  • Custom L7 overlays for front + rear emblems, and wheel centercaps

Interior

• LED lighting
  • Aftermarket shift knob/boot (unsure of brands - previous owner)
  • Black/tan interior - Swapped tan carpets/seats for black

That's all I can think of for now, but that looks about right. Haven't done half as much as I want to, but you know.. money. Thanks to all the members here and the knowledge shared thus far, it has been invaluable to me! Pics attached are over the course of the last 2 years, some mods have not yet been photographed.

GSu2Bhr.thumb.jpg.dfa7b85ca8abc51efdea4407c1876ae4.jpg

UkhRQ9B.thumb.jpg.0af564e843c86f6fe12044417392c5ba.jpg

4i3bRqR.thumb.jpg.0ff4c61f7594c8817baee921c7c35993.jpg

VDEwVMu.thumb.jpg.3dce5dfff2642b8a9b502905ab7eda9f.jpg

1LSkfnW.thumb.jpg.bd6e7cbf2134290331172c05c6b18886.jpg

R0GYwJt.thumb.jpg.baaf456d16514490caf1128d2bbe2c0e.jpg

lbi1Obt.thumb.jpg.8aa608bed36cc92f800a53eff107df80.jpg

Edited by Carbon Falcon

When I got in the wagon to go to lunch after cleaning off the snow/ice from the storm here in VT, I noticed the mileage, 285,000.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I got in the wagon to go to lunch after cleaning off the snow/ice from the storm here in VT, I noticed the mileage, 285,000.

Not quite there yet with my wagon Max, but few miles shy of 230K. Will reach 230K before oil change coming up on the weekend.

Nothing done on my car today, just drove it to work and then to gym after. I started hearing squeal on morning starts, and the steering gets jerky initially. it goes normal quickly. It's either the accessory belt - the one i installed in the summer looked a bit too narrow and had part number one digit of from the old one. Or the steering pump, original at 14 years/~230K miles.

I already got OEM belt, will try to swap it over the weekend before I get concerned about the steering pump.

The 2010 OB was in the focus lately. Son replaced 2 front hub bearings on it, had problems with same bolt (lower inner) on both wheel hubs, not sure if this is assembly issue or design flaw.

Then the car developed biting and jerking in turns after a long ride (40 minutes or so). Ended up having to replace viscous coupling in the tranny. Guys at the dealership did a great job and the car is back and running. $1.2K with oil change and new battery.

Also have an update on 05 OB insurance claim. Insurance approved the repair and the car is not getting totaled. Now we just waiting for car to be ready.

Thank you again for help NoNameDude and Dishwasher. You guys helped me understand the process and what I should expect to happen.