LegacyGT.com

FA headers on the Unicorn

This owner here did this as well and had impressive result for his mods.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fabsx-2010-lgt-build-thread-279300.html

If I was going to modify my GT further, I would probably do those headers with a bigger turbo. I would plan for STI transmission conversion because I am not sure how long our 6MT would last.

I can say forsure that IQ Performance definitely knows their stuff for our platform. I talked to him via instagram for a month before buying everything and he definitely help me choose the right setup and gave tips for a much easier install.

So far, within about 3-4months and 1,200miles with this setup and power. Everything has been smooth sailing for me. No issues whatsoever, powerband is powerful and is perfect on the highway just cruising in 6th gear. I would highly recommend the headers to anyone.

As far as the transmission.. no issues whatsoever so far. I am obviously looking into built longblock and 6spd sti swap in near future. But as long as you have your tuner drop boost in 1st and don’t flatfoot shift, it should last a while. Not saying I baby the car, but I do use my power every-time I drive it.

Also did a compression test last week to see how everything is. 146~148psi across the board. Not bad for the abuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say forsure that IQ Performance definitely knows their stuff for our platform. I talked to him via instagram for a month before buying everything and he definitely help me choose the right setup and gave tips for a much easier install.

So far, within about 3-4months and 1,200miles with this setup and power. Everything has been smooth sailing for me. No issues whatsoever, powerband is powerful and is perfect on the highway just cruising in 6th gear. I would highly recommend the headers to anyone.

Cool cool, I am going to follow-up on your build thread!

I saw that, I don't quite understand if it's a twin scroll turbo, but it's very interesting.

Yes that is a twin scroll turbo, you can tell by the separated inlets to the turbine. Just an fyi that turbo alone with a twin scroll t4 flange is more than that whole setup. New of course.

He mentioned to me he was selling his legacy and decided to sell everything he had as a package. Incase anyone was interested in it

Seems like a no brainer except for two things: (i) I want a cat and (ii) shipping from Russia without damage seems unlikely.

Mine was shipped with no damage. They definitely made sure it was wrapped good in bubble wrap

Seems like a no brainer except for two things: (i) I want a cat and (ii) shipping from Russia without damage seems unlikely.
That's a vband outlet I believe, you could have a shop either make you a jpipe with vband and CAT or find a used one with a cat and have them change the flange to a vband.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's a vband outlet I believe, you could have a shop either make you a jpipe with vband and CAT or find a used one with a cat and have them change the flange to a vband.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can agree with this. Stock dp/aftermarket is the exact location on the turbo exit. Just needs a vband

Decisions, decisions, I'll sleep on it tonight, seems like the only way to get a twin scroll turbo on a gen5 without have something else made custom. I do not have the know-how for that, and to have someone else do it would be significantly more $$$!

I have exchanged a few emails with them, I am going to buy it and (hopefully) install it after I get the car in better shape (suspension, brakes, body).

• 2 weeks later...
I have exchanged a few emails with them, I am going to buy it and (hopefully) install it after I get the car in better shape (suspension, brakes, body).

I bought the kit and it is shipped. I am going to start a build thread over the weekend since I am halfway into it, at this point. IQ Performance gave me a very good price on everything and even sent pictures of how it was packed before they shipped it.

I am looking forward to working out the details over the next few months and getting everything installed!

• 1 month later...

As an alternative to the killerb header or adapter, I am Currently tempted to get this fa20 (vband) header:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133580742630?ul_noapp=true

And the following adapter's to run an external 38mm wastegate along with a cheap eBay gt30 as a test:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32711300940.html

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001143891033.html

However at the moment I'm still waiting on my staggered turbine seal to arrive and then looking at the nearest shop that can balance my mgt2259s with its new comp and turbine wheels.

Edited by moral hazard

And the following adapter's to run an external 38mm wastegate along with a cheap eBay gt30 as a test:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32711300940.html

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001143891033.html

I am no expert, but the geometry for the EWG in that second adapter looks to be 90deg off of the exhaust flow. Are they not usually less of an angle, more of a Y than a T?

• 2 months later...

Ok so a quick update, I ended up going with the staggered step turbine seal from AliExpress. Fit just as well as the seal that came out of the turbo.

Other than that, I completely removed the original Westgate actuator mounting bracket from the compressor housing so it wouldn't foul on anything. Currently using a bent piece of steel as a makeshift mount but I don't think it's ideal in the long term.

The oil filter relocation kit was very good quality and that's all installed now. Ended up mounting it where the airbox used to be.

Started the car today and it seems to run fine , however I don't have any exhaust fitted yet after the J-pipe.

Thats my last step before I can drive the car again.

If I do end up changing the turbo again later, I'll be going external wastegate at that stage. For now I'm keen to see what I can hit with the mgt2259s and E85, considering there is some speculation here that the stock mgt2259s flows ~50 lb/min:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45936349&postcount=9

IMG_20210220_204702.thumb.jpg.b5ed312a477d5c943c693b70af9d056e.jpg

IMG_20210220_205005.thumb.jpg.af746a128db5003aea00ae6ebdaf1d58.jpg

IMG_20210220_210506.thumb.jpg.376021ffc85a8e05d7fe57df6ac0131d.jpg

Edited by moral hazard

• 3 months later...

Oil feed banjo bolts have a different sized hole, VF54 has the smaller hole...or so I thought?

Also, during my test drives I found I do have a slight leak at the header. This is after reusing MLS gaskets when installing the header. Will order fresh gaskets.

Last night the car dropped 2L of oil on the road, unsure if due to oil feed issues or maybe my oil filter relocation. Once towed home I will check.

At least the car is in one piece.

Previously I installed a nice CBE. Everything was going to plan until yesterday.

IMG_20210526_194843.thumb.jpg.ddab74479aa5c68a0ae5d0660d128154.jpg

IMG_20210526_195529.jpg.c1433f838c57a8d2063f8f09b86c0eca.jpg

Edited by moral hazard

Confirmed one oil lines for the remote oil filter came loose (or I didn't tighten it well in the first instance).

Staying with the banjo bolt that came out of the MGT2259s.

Noticed a nipple broke off my 3port bcs, replaced that.

Also installed an MTXD ethanol sensor and gauge.

Merpmod 2011 sti rom flashed onto ecu (with blending based on left TGV input) and ready for further testing tomorrow.

IMG_20210531_194350.jpg.fd89400de456e2edba6696095a51b4cf.jpg

• 5 months later...

After driving around for a while, I'm thinking of going external wstegates and a more standard flange, perhaps to upgrade to a gtx30 or 35 sized turbo later.

I'm liking this killerb inspired header that seems to also have the required holes in the flange for an EJ, by PLM:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/164890877403

And this FA20 flange to Vband adapter:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144105089199

Might be an Xmas present to myself.

Would need to sort out some suitable external WG options (likely teal MVS style 38mm) and think about a V band 90 degree J pipe.

2011 sti rom testing has not progressed, still on the LGT tune for now. Need to find time for some Dev/reverse engineering work.

Edited by moral hazard