LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel volume controls replacement on earlier models

I am having trouble with my volume up and hands free steering wheel controls on a 2010 GT. I know that it is a documented problem and Subaru issued a TSB on the earlier models 2010 and 2011(?). It doesn’t seem too bad to swap the controls based n info here. I can’t imagine that the dealer would help me 9 years and 70k later...

My problem is finding the part number for my year vs the later models at a reasonable price. The early ones have silver on silver controls and the later has silver with black buttons. The compatibility is listed separately but does anyone know if they are cross compatible for the entire 5th generation? I can get the later model controls for $45 shipped vs $120 or more for mine.

Also, does anyone know if the buttons are interchangeable? I could get the cheaper (more reliable?) one and swap my current buttons over.

There is a difference between early and late IIRC.

Someone posted retrofitting late model controls on an early LGT and mentioned there were differences. He was able to make it work though.

It's somewhere here in the 5th gen forum, trying to remember but drawing a blank at the moment.

Have you tried taking the airbag out, pressing on the roll connector and then reassembling? This all by itself worked wonders on mine, I did this a few months ago and they are still working properly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have you tried taking the airbag out, pressing on the roll connector and then reassembling? This all by itself worked wonders on mine, I did this a few months ago and they are still working properly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I might have to go in and do this. the volume up is all but dead at this point

pulling the steering wheel on a 13 is pretty easy - two spring clips for the airbag (those can be a little frustrating) then it pops right out, then just undo the nut and pull the wheel (you can loosen the nut a bit and yank on the wheel until it pops free, or just use a puller for a much easier removal) then everything comes right apart. (I swapped my steering wheel for a 15+ STi unit a while back)