LegacyGT.com

Headlights very dim and daytime running lights not working

Hello All, My headlights are so dim that my fog lights are brighter. I thought it may have been the bulbs so I switched both and the problem persists. I also noticed that my DTRL don't work at all after reading through other posts from people with similar issues. I am no good at electrical and would like to ask for any pointers.

both headlights being dim makes me think maybe this isn't the problem, but it's worth a shot.

I'd check the headlight fuses 6 and 7 in the engine bay. In the past there have been problems where people have had one dim headlight, and one normal brightness. The dimmer one had a blown fuse, and was somehow still pulling power from somewhere.

fuses.jpg.aefa6ec1bbe54c1cbac4da8081720bb1.jpg

First check all your grounds, over time they corrode and can cause this and many other voltage issues

Cleaned contacts, no change.

both headlights being dim makes me think maybe this isn't the problem, but it's worth a shot.

I'd check the headlight fuses 6 and 7 in the engine bay. In the past there have been problems where people have had one dim headlight, and one normal brightness. The dimmer one had a blown fuse, and was somehow still pulling power from somewhere.

Fuses are good

I'm thinkin it's something with the drl control module, or power going to that since both headlights are affected the same way.

It looks like one of the other relays in the box should work where the DRL relay goes, I'd try swapping relays to see if it fixes it.

It looks like fuse #18 might give power to the drl relay, if haven't checked that one yet.

drl control module has a msrp of $65, not too bad, but I wouldn't go for one of those yet. I can't find any instructions in the fsm for troubleshooting the drl control module.

drl.jpg.db664b4e16e7eaff041f59187f0de890.jpg

I'm thinkin it's something with the drl control module, or power going to that since both headlights are affected the same way.

It looks like one of the other relays in the box should work where the DRL relay goes, I'd try swapping relays to see if it fixes it.

It looks like fuse #18 might give power to the drl relay, if haven't checked that one yet.

drl control module has a msrp of $65, not too bad, but I wouldn't go for one of those yet. I can't find any instructions in the fsm for troubleshooting the drl control module.

Checked fuse 18 yesterday and its good, I'll check the relays when it stops raining. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can unplug the drl module to rule it out. Your headlights will operate like normal just no drl. The info is in the cheap and or free mods sticky at the top of the forum.

The DRL's are not working at all as well as the headlights being extremely dim.

The DRL's are not working at all as well as the headlights being extremely dim.

Right.. but if the module isn’t causing a problem in the circuit, by unplugging it you can rule it out. If you unplug it and get your headlights back you know its bad. If you unplug it and there’s no difference then back to diagnostics and no need to replace drl module.

Right.. but if the module isn’t causing a problem in the circuit, by unplugging it you can rule it out. If you unplug it and get your headlights back you know its bad. If you unplug it and there’s no difference then back to diagnostics and no need to replace drl module.

Gotcha!

• 1 month later...