LegacyGT.com

Rough idle and intermittent CEL for 5 minutes

When I started up my car (09 2.5i) today it had a rough idle with really low RPMs and was kinda rough for the next 5 minutes or so of driving along with the CEL coming on intermittently and there being a weird smell in the cabin. After the 5 minutes though it went away completely. Roommate says its probably the fuel injectors since its been raining quite heavily for the past few days and the same thing happens to him (~20 year old Jeep).

I'm not really worried because it went away but just wondering if it could be indicative of anything more serious? What do you guys think?

Thanks

I'd be leaning away from an injector problem, but only because I haven't had any issues after 227k.

I'd be curious to know how many miles are on you car/plugs/wires, and I don't know enough about scantools to know if they could see what those previous, temporary codes were.

Weird smell like.. gas, oil, or something else? Something else makes me wonder about grease from a cv boot, but that wouldn't cause the symptoms you had.

Car currently has 87k miles and I believe my spark plugs were just replaced around 2 weeks ago when I had the head gaskets and timing belt replaced so it seems unlikely to me that they would cause the problem? I don't really know anything though.

As for the smell, I'm not really too sure how to describe it - I sometimes get a little whiff of it when I accelerate really hard, like when I'm merging onto a highway from a really short onramp. Kinda like a burning smell?

Archived