LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Any guarantee on that stuff? I tried Blue Devil on a beater once. Ended up scooping it out of the cooling jacket with a wooden spoon, but they did give me my money back. Could be a free experiment.

It's an oil additive, not coolant one - those are pretty much guaranteed to clog somewhere in coolant path.

No guarantees of course, but empirically it got me out of tearing apart engines on my own LGT (blue smoke on WOT) and on my wife's Tribeca (white smoke on idle after overnight).

When faced with possible engine tear down and either short block rebuild or new shortblock, I am willing to give an additive a try...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Before tearing it all apart again I decided to give it a shot with CERATEC oil additive from Liqui-Moly. This stuff supposedly dislodges carbonized deposits around rings, and I figured I will pretty much lose nothing if it does not help. To my own surprise and relief, the white smoke at start disappeared within couple of weeks.

Some people may say it's not going to work but I'd say give it a shot. it's never late to take a motor apart. It also worked for me when my LGT started smoking on WOT (blue smoke though), and just adding it (CERATEC) helped.

$35 vs $3500 experiment always wins in my book.

I think the HG on Mike's motor deteriorated from it sitting. I picked it up from you in the June-ish timeframe, but closed on a condo just after and had no time to work on the car until the following April. At least, that's all I can fathom.

i'm sure it's oil and not coolant. It smells like oil, and the consumption definitely fits the bill (burned a quart after 3 autox runs last season :lol:). Coolant shows no consumption. The startup has a slight blue tinge, but the smoke under the hood when hot doesn't (which is why I think the hood smoke is just ATF from the steering system, it also smells a bit different). There's a ton of oil in the intake tract, so much so that the MBC I hooked up started sticking because of it, and when I reached down and touched the barb with the small hole in it, my hands got covered in oil :spin:

I totally forgot about that CERATEC you gave me! I still have that bottle, no reason not to try that and see what happens.

On a forum-related note: I find the double-spacing goes away if I use "shift+enter" to add line breaks, instead of just "enter." YMMV

Edited by solidxsnake

Also do you guys know if carid is a good website to get parts from????

No, their parts catalog isn’t true some of the time. Some parts listed say they will fit but I know for a fact they don’t. They group in GT and nonGT parts for example as well as universal parts. Unless you know what you’re looking for, I wouldn’t trust their catalog.

Also, don’t add a turbo the the 2.5i. Just sell it and get a GT. There’s no reason for going down that path, trust us.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you have a walkthrough on what you did to make it work, do all of your buttons work? Anything that doesn't work?

Everything works perfectly, I honestly love having a mute button now (there isn't one on the stereo).

I followed MasAyinde's guide here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-08-09-steering-wheel-w-audio-controls-into-05-253354.html

There are two things to do, one is to run a couple more wires that you may not have yet, that is detailed here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-steering-wheel-radio-controls-26232.html

Then you can follow MasAyinde's guide to repin the connectors to fit your 05-07 clockspring.

Perfect thank you.

I got caught in the middle with my 07 as it has aux in and a mute button on the radio but it has the old steering wheel controls and I like the look of the newer style.

Are you using your older cruise control still?

No, I went all in on it. I have the 08-09 back shell (no hole for the toggle CC on the lower right), and use the cruise buttons on the right hand side now.

I used to have the older LL Bean wheel and style audio controls that split them across both sides. I like the newer style with audio on the left, cruise on the right.

It's still reversible if I wanted to go back to OEM for 05 for some crazy reason, most of the difference is just connectors that need to be repinned.

Everything works perfectly, I honestly love having a mute button now (there isn't one on the stereo).

I followed MasAyinde's guide here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-08-09-steering-wheel-w-audio-controls-into-05-253354.html

There are two things to do, one is to run a couple more wires that you may not have yet, that is detailed here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-steering-wheel-radio-controls-26232.html

Then you can follow MasAyinde's guide to repin the connectors to fit your 05-07 clockspring.

That is one way, I ended up swapping out the 05 clock spring for an 09 so that the connectors at the wheel are the same. I then took a harness from a junk yard 05 and 09, to make an adapter harness to go from the 09 clock spring to the 05 car harness. Plug-n-play reversible. Also ran the additional wires to the stereo for the radio controls and back lighting. It is super helpful that the airbag didn't change harness or plugs through the MY.

I agree, the 08-09 controls are much better than the split stereo controls. Also having the stereo controls on the left side is nice to change songs/volume while shifting! I can't go back now to the no control wheel I had

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

What about for after market performance parts? The na has a small market so if anyone can give me some more links that’d be much appreciated

Okay I might just put in a cold air then exhaust the some cosmetics.

Stock intake is already CAI, a washable oiled air filter may give you couple more ponies but that's it power wise.

Spend money of suspension, most noticeable difference comes from having aftermarket or JDM RSB and Tribeca's FSB installed. All combined will be around $500-$600 at most and will change the car dramatically.

Edited by SubOperator

Staged for tomorrow's fun, and got the windage tray, oil pickup and oilpan installed on the Type RA shortblock so the RTV can set up overnight.

Let's see if I can get away with using 90 minute RTV on the forward cam caps...

Ah, I am almost jelauos... Spunky clean new SB. Wish I had a garage that big.

Good luck with rebuild!

Ah, I am almost jelauos... Spunky clean new SB. Wish I had a garage that big.

Good luck with rebuild!

Thanks! I wish I had a garage that big too - that's a DIY shop where I rent a stall. Ever since I moved to Michigan I've lived in an apartment, and this place has been wonderful. Shameless plug - they're called My Mechanics Place if anyone in the Detroit metro area hasn't heard of them. Great folks providing an awesome service to the community.

Edited by awfulwaffle

Made some decent progress, though I was hoping to have the motor in the car today. Pics are at 9 am (well actually 9 pm when I left the shop last night) and 9 pm tonight. Plenty more taken for eventual population into the build thread.

I also discovered the single incompatibility between the LGT EJ255 and the STI Type RA EJ257 - the mounting boss for the coolant hardline to the oil cooler. Nothing a hammer to the bracket on the hardline couldn't fix. All in all, not too bad!

Also, neighboring stall was pretty rad.

20190906_204827.thumb.jpg.4f1a576e070587f8bdf8414368e4372d.jpg

20190907_214535.thumb.jpg.8e29578beb8fc5118b12fb0a6c59f875.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

Getting the wagon put together for West Coast Subaru show. Finally put on my rebuilt/painted Brembo calipers along with new pads/rotors and a fresh bleed with some Motul 600. Also put a new grill on the car and got the double din all sorted.

Going to 3 step polish it tomorrow. Should be looking good.

48696101221_a4b43e6f4a_z.jpg

48695757213_7a05c90112_z.jpg

48695757263_4df443402d_z.jpg

48641899222_30dc4144cf_z.jpg

Have some satin black vinyl on the way to wrap the console pieces so it all matches.

My clutch pedal rubber cover got worn out.

Subaru quality is no good, what, only 14 years and 226K miles before it wears out? /S

Might have to splurge for STi pedal covers set.

I also discovered the single incompatibility between the LGT EJ255 and the STI Type RA EJ257 - the mounting boss for the coolant hardline to the oil cooler. Nothing a hammer to the bracket on the hardline couldn't fix. All in all, not too bad!

I didn't have any incompatibilities with my RA shortblock. I have the first run from 2018 vehicles. I doubt there was an update though.

What year LGT? Maybe the coolant hardlines were different for different years.

Applied three coats of DEI's Hi Temp Silicone paint to my wrapped header, uppipe, and downpipe, curing each coat over my grill. Also primed the motor that has been sitting for almost two years now. Car had an Err 55 which I hope will go away on its own - the wheel sensors look to be in fine condition.

All I have to do now is install all the exhaust from the turbo back, install the intercooler, and put the wheels back on.

Hard for me to believe that everything is done - I feel like I must be forgetting something.

cure.thumb.jpg.94c17ae733c93e0cf1308497a27d4816.jpg

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I didn't have any incompatibilities with my RA shortblock. I have the first run from 2018 vehicles. I doubt there was an update though.

I believe that is the case between the '05-'06 and '07+ MYs.

Today, I learned what regret feels like. Now I'm ready for your boat, awfulwaffle :lol: Compression test on cyl 1 and 3 returned 120psi, cyl 2 and 4 was 60 and 65psi :spin:

I suppose I should re-check the timing, but I doubt I screwed that up. Also worth checking the OCVs I guess?

I'm a dumb dumb - realized today that it was a difference in oil pump casting, as that's where the mounting point is. I used the STI P/N pump.

Got it in the car, primed and started today. Massive vacuum leak somewhere that I need to track down. But, all the fluids stayed where they should and I had good oil pressure. It's getting there.

Edited by awfulwaffle

I believe that is the case between the '05-'06 and '07+ MYs.

Today, I learned what regret feels like. Now I'm ready for your boat, awfulwaffle :lol: Compression test on cyl 1 and 3 returned 120psi, cyl 2 and 4 was 60 and 65psi :spin:

I suppose I should re-check the timing, but I doubt I screwed that up. Also worth checking the OCVs I guess?

Oof that would certainly do it. Are the OCVs even active during cranking?

08 legacy GT limited EJ255 2.5 turbo 5eat

I installed my 2.4"/3" Perrin turbo inlet intake hose and my

New Tomei ARMS MX7960F turbo

And my NTK front O2/AFR sensor

Trying to add pics but it just says failed or invalid on all my pics does it not allow 4K quality pics ?

You need to log out of the site and then log back in to fix that. You log out from the Home page upper left side under....your avatar area....you'll see a logout link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here