LegacyGT.com

Vf52 vs vf46

So I am thinking of upgrading my turbo, Intercooler and fuel pump. Just wondering how much of a difference does the vf52 make? Will I notice drastic power increases? I am stage 2 right now and just want to make sure it’s worth it to spend the couple grand to upgrade and tune everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes you'll notice a difference between a 52 and a 46. The wheels on the 52 are (sparing some small differences) the same size as a vf48, which is the STi turbo.

You don't need a larger fuel pump unless you are upgrading your injectors to be larger or if your current fuel pump is dying.

You could just get the vf52 if you wanted the cheapest route, but also upgrading the intercooler will give you a bit more peace of mind as well as a bit more of a reliability net when beating on the car.

There is a noticeable performance gain with a vf52 over the vf46 even on stock fueling.

I have both tuned by the same Tuner, the car with the 52 is much quicker.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Def a nice bump in power from the 46 to the 52, loved mine for many years. Would suggest going that extra mile to a larger injector set for added peace of mind and more power as well. My current daily driver, ‘08 Outback, with a 52 and stock injectors doesn’t feel nearly as fast as when I had a 52, pump, and 740 injectors in my ‘05 GT wagon.

Ok great. You’ve convinced me

I was told it would be best to do the fuel pump. Even without the injectors. Either way. I already have the fuel pump so that’s going in either way. The Intercooler and turbo are on their way and then I need to set up my etune

So I got the vf52 today. Only thing it was missing was the t hose w restrictor pills. Having trouble finding them online. I know I can go to the dealer and find one. Just easier to order it. Anyone know where I can get one or the part number so I can search it??

forget it, get a 3 port EBCS. Oh and talk to your preferred tuner prior to obtaining all of your parts.

This.

If you get an electronic boost controller (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) it deletes the pill.

Also, I have a vf39 pill sitting here in my toolbox I'll sell to you for 15 bucks if you really want it.

FWIW, my Tuner tuningalliance@gmail.com

Back in the day replaced the stock pill with a piece of a wire splice. On the first street tune, we stopped by a auto parts store. he went in a came out with a small wire splice, he put that in a small piece of vacuum hose, installed it on the turbo and we went for a ride. After the street tune, the car felt great.

That was back in the early day's about 2008.

I suggest you email Mike and ask for his recommendations on your next step. He does happen to be one of the best tuners for these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, my Tuner tuningalliance@gmail.com

Back in the day replaced the stock pill with a piece of a wire splice. On the first street tune, we stopped by a auto parts store. he went in a came out with a small wire splice, he put that in a small piece of vacuum hose, installed it on the turbo and we went for a ride. After the street tune, the car felt great.

That was back in the early day's about 2008.

I suggest you email Mike and ask for his recommendations on your next step. He does happen to be one of the best tuners for these cars.

A piece of a butt splice? :eek:

1591087149_buttsplice.jpg.d6683aa8707384ec3485ae0724b02073.jpg

Wow, repurposing electrical splices... Love it! But yes def get the EBCS like everyone else says. I also have a VF52 built by Socal and its much faster than the stock turbo! Only problem is now Im maxxing the turbo and want more!

Wow, repurposing electrical splices... Love it! But yes def get the EBCS like everyone else says. I also have a VF52 built by Socal and its much faster than the stock turbo! Only problem is now Im maxxing the turbo and want more!

Yeah I got one coming. Figured I would need it eventually and the price of just the pill line is half what I paid for the EBCS so. Plus I got an external wastegate so :)

Ares3985 -

I really like the VF52 upgrade on an LGT for cheap, easy power upgrade. You can get away with stock injectors and still get 80% of what the VF52 is capable of for a budget 30-40whp increase most times.

I advise a 3port boost controller the moment a turbo is swapped out for something larger as its the best way to get back to the same or similar boost response as well as have control to hold or taper boost very quickly due to fuel demands.

I like to see an upgraded fuel pump on any non stock supplied turbo as well since we will now be pushing the car harder than it was before and most likely your pump is 8-10 years old by now anyway in a 4th gen.

Hope that helps and let us know if we can help with any of the tuning side of things for ya!

Have a great day all!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Aem pump is in. Also got a process west Intercooler. Got a boost controller and an external wastegate. I know the wastegate is not needed but it is definitely wanted. Vf52 and Cobb SF sitting on the shelf just waiting.

Arm pump is in. Also got a process west Intercooler. Got a boost controller and an external wastegate. I know the wastegate is not needed but it is definitely wanted.

Did you get the uber rare LGT specific hood splitter for that TMIC?

If not, a member (Boxkita) had a run of them made and started a group buy you might be interested in.

Did you get the uber rare LGT specific hood splitter for that TMIC?

If not, a member (Boxkita) had a run of them made and started a group buy you might be interested in.

No I did not unfortunately. It’s impossible to find. I saw boxkita version of it. I’m still on the fence about it.